Verizon Set to Alter their Upgrade Policy

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon-2011-upgrade-policy.jpg

Verizon has just announced a shift in their upgrade policy that's bound to leave some folks a little miffed. On Jan. 16, their new policy goes into effect and their old promotions are being retired. Users still under a standard two-year contract won't be able to upgrade during months 13 through 20. Instead, they must wait until the contract is nearly finished. Verizon's previous "New Every Two" program will be phased out as old customers re-up. Customer's on one-year contracts won't be effected by these changes.

This new policy is a bit rough, as there are many of us that like to switch out to newer tech phones as soon as they become available. I understand the policy, as Verizon must have been hemorrhaging money from paying the "discount" fee to each cell phone manufacturer every-time someone upgrades to a new phone. Still, I hope they realize that this could bring them some bad publicity and come up with something different. We shall see.

Source: Androidcentral
by dgstorm

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Ehhh...I usually end up paying full retail anyway as much as I change devices.

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
Some people are going to have a huge problem with this. Glad my contract is up in May of this year!

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is messed up... If im stuck with a phone for 2 years, then im wanting a two year warrenty. This policy is horrible.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
This is messed up... If im stuck with a phone for 2 years, then im wanting a two year warrenty. This policy is horrible.

There is an extended warranty available.

Jasonjohns

Reaction score
If I am eligible for an early upgrade now will this affect me? I am not ready to use it.

Detonation

Reaction score
I've had my annual upgrade since Nov...does this mean if I don't use it by Jan 16 I am going to lose it until the fall?

Oh, and if this is true, then its definitely worth it to pay the extra $70 for the phone and go with only a 1 year.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Call me odd but I don't mind. It's one step to get consumers AWAY from subsidized phones and contracts. America is one of the only countries that operates this way. Everywhere else YOU by the phone you want and go to the network YOU WANT and you're not limited by contracts or ETFs ect. You could literally change every month if you want. Granted this is made easier in other countries because all the carriers use the same tech and offer their 'plans' as is w/o contracts (here you almost have to get a contract to get the good rates). It's easier to switch w/o the huge ETFs of the contracts. I say eliminate the contracts and subsidies completely:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've had my annual upgrade since Nov...does this mean if I don't use it by Jan 16 I am going to lose it until the fall?

Oh, and if this is true, then its definitely worth it to pay the extra $70 for the phone and go with only a 1 year.

I was just wondering the same thing. I was going to wait until after CES but if I'm going to 'loose' my availability until August I might go ahead and get something.

Can any of the VZW reps on here clear this up for us??

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

There is an extended warranty available.

I know that, but the normal warranty covered the main life of the phone, now it only covers half the phone. This is ripped off because this really forces you to buy that extended warranty.

ipawd1

Reaction score
Does this mean since we have to have a phone for two years...they are doing away with REFURBISHED phones? Because I refuse to have a phone for 20 months, only to lose one.and they offer me a pre-owned device. Not going for that.

Detonation

Reaction score

Oh and I bet all the new phones being announced this week will conveniently be available on Jan 17...

Jasonjohns

Reaction score
I think this is for new 2yr. Contracts made after the 16th so if you're eligible for upgrade now your still good.

ipawd1

Reaction score
"The change will either force consumers to choose a one-year plan and purchase phones at full price, or opt for being locked into one device for 20 months, but getting a subsidy on the phone cost."

So I gotta go head and pay full price for one year...or the original early upgrade price after two years? Bull****.