Verizon Set to Alter their Upgrade Policy

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh and I bet all the new phones being announced this week will conveniently be available on Jan 17...

I was thinking the same thing:icon_evil:

I think this is for new 2yr. Contracts made after the 16th so if you're eligible for upgrade now your still good.

Doesn't read that way. Reads like it will be retroactive to all customers.

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
If this is going to happen I need a new phone I think I am going with Samsung fascinate

Sent from my Sourcery using Tapatalk

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
Wait if I am over thirteen months and I go to Verizon this weekend am I Guarrenteed an upgrade

Sent from my Sourcery using Tapatalk

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess i just need a pure google, dual core phone... and ebay for new devices. Screw their upgrades. The policy is a joke.

motiond

Reaction score
I guess Verizon is starting a DISBELIEF PROJECT! This seems more backwards progress, than forward!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Im going 1 yr contract the extra 70 bucks I pay I can make back if I sell my phone on ebay.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess Verizon is starting a DISBELIEF PROJECT! This seems more backwards progress, than forward!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Quite the opposite actually... like weaning a drug addict off of something, they think it's 'bad' and hate it but after they have their ****e together years later they are glad they did it... Do you know how few people actually make it through a two-year contract with a phone, so they are essentially tied to a carrier until they decide to eat the ETFs.

Eliminating subsidies is also better for consumers because it forces the carriers to actually provide SERVICE (good service) because when people are locked into contracts and are free to go elsewhere the companies have to 'worry' about keeping their subscribers happy to keep them from leaving. Again look at the rest of the world where this is the norm. Users in those countries report FAR BETTER service and are much happier with their carriers. Not to mention it's actually cheaper in the long run for the end-users (customers). Services in other countries are much cheaper because 1) companies don't have to recuperate the loss of the hardware subsidies and 2) increased 'competition' because customers are contractually bound.

Last edited:

Beka27

Reaction score
I'm surprised by this. I would think with LTE coming out (and the increased fees associated with LTE), they'd be eager to upgrade people from their "cheap" 3G unlimited plans or even cheaper feature phones, making upgrades MORE accessible, not LESS.

I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Big Ry

Reaction score
I'm already waiting 20 months. Got my phone in february 09 not eligible for an upgrade till october 11.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

GDP

Reaction score
Glad I just did an annual upgrade

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There is an extended warranty available.

Which is probably a sucker play when you are already paying insurance. Speaking of which, I have to see if my homeowner policy will give me a better deal on insurance.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm already waiting 20 months. Got my phone in february 09 not eligible for an upgrade till october 11.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Technically but not actually. If you walk into a VZW anytime after 12 months (which would be Feb10) you can get an upgrade. What we are waiting to see is if this policy will be 'retroactive' or if we will be 'grandfathered' in.