upgrade ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diverdog

Reaction score
So I have insurance on my Max and its still in pretty good shape but my battery life is starting to dwindle. I also have an upgrade I can use now. Do you think I should tell the insurance its broke or I lost it and have them give me a new phone then cash in my upgrade to the newest version of the maxx. I could then sell the new one they sent me. Use the original for a camera and MP3 player for my car and have the latest version of the maxx.

I dont know much with dealing with the insurance because this is the first phone I've ever had it on. Will this plan work or do you all have a better idea of what I should do before upgrading?

Thanks for your help!

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
What you're suggesting is insurance fraud & discussion like this are not allowed on this forum. Threads like this are usually closed. But I'll watch this one & let it remain open so others can give you better advice

Tapped from a Nexus

OP
D

Diverdog

Reaction score
I thought the insurance covered a broken or lost phone. Am I correct? I'm going yo use this one for basically just in my vehicle or my radio in my polaris side by side. It only has a headphone jack input in it. I guess its not really fraud if the reason I want it replaced is because of the poor battery life.

Please don't delete the post. I will reword it if I have too. I just want some advice on what to do as far as whether or not to replace this one thru insurance or just say f it and use my upgrade.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Insurance normally DOES cover broken or lost phones, but your phone is neither broken, nor lost. As CJM said, that is insurance fraud. It's no different than blowing out the motor on your car and instead of paying thousands to fix it, taking it out in the desert and burning it as you claim that it was stolen and then have the insurance pay for it. Certainly a different scale, but the same thing. People go to jail for that. Insurance fraud costs all of us more because the companies have to increase fees to offset their costs. Be honest and use your upgrade for a new phone.

Ferrett

Reaction score
Your battery life depends on a variety of things. Look at what you are running on the phone before deciding the battery is not lasting as long as you expect it to. Upgrading your phone has nothing to do with insurance. If it's time for you to upgrade, then just do it. You could always mod your RazrMaxx with a new ROM also.

OP
D

Diverdog

Reaction score
Geez thanks a lot for the lecture. You all been a great help.

doniago

Reaction score
When your first post involves you suggesting that you're willing to lie to your insurance carrier (this is called a crime, btw), I think a bit of lecturing isn't necessarily out of order.

And I don't see anyone lecturing you particularly harshly. You suggested an inappropriate course of action and people told you why it would be inappropriate.

Unfortunately I doubt your recent post is going to do much to encourage anyone to offer you more constructive suggestions. It doesn't read well to me.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought the insurance covered a broken or lost phone. Am I correct? I'm going yo use this one for basically just in my vehicle or my radio in my polaris side by side. It only has a headphone jack input in it. I guess its not really fraud if the reason I want it replaced is because of the poor battery life.

Please don't delete the post. I will reword it if I have too. I just want some advice on what to do as far as whether or not to replace this one thru insurance or just say f it and use my upgrade.

Is the plan you are suggesting possible? Yes
Is it insurance fraud? Yes
Is it illegal? Yes
Are the members of this website rude for bringing it to your attention? No

When I first started using Verizon, insurance claims were $50. Now they are $100 because of the costs associated with phone replacements. IMHO, it is because of actions like yours that I have to now pay $100 for a new phone. The right thing to do is upgrade your phone and research the battery issues for your old phone if you are going to keep it.

rosariorose9

Reaction score
I read a post like that of the OP and I despair of the future for a society in which someone can suggest out and out fraud and then, when 'called' on it, can respond: "Geez thanks a lot for the lecture. You all been a great help."

OP
D

Diverdog

Reaction score
X2, you hit the nail on the head Mike.

I can picture you giving high fives to the air cause he just told me! Lol!

Im sure fraud is some of the reason your deductible doubled but I bet the increase in cost of a basic phone to a high dollar smart phone was more likely the reason.

I'm sorry mod. I guess you should have went with your first thought and tossed the thread. Also I should have said my main concern on replacement was battery life. Thats my fault. I will have to do some reading about possible causes of battery draining.

I like how you all had to chime in about fraud. Please don't tell on me. I'm a family man and can't afford to go upstate for 20 years.

Mod go ahead and lock it up. Hell delete it please. I got my answers and I'm not getting into any arguments with these internet tough guys. I appreciate you letting it play out though cause I did get some advice from another member through PM.

OP
D

Diverdog

Reaction score
I read a post like that of the OP and I despair of the future for a society in which someone can suggest out and out fraud and then, when 'called' on it, can respond: "Geez thanks a lot for the lecture. You all been a great help."

Sorry Rosario! Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch. I'm glad I didn't tell you all how I don't pay taxes, collect SSI, welfare and have a job under the table killing kittens and selling elephant tusks!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm closing this thread now. There is no benefit to allowing this to go on. The others are 100% correct, and your third paragraph two posts back was also spot on. Everything else was marginally acceptable at best.

If you take offense to what was said to you, why not instead call the insurance carrier and ask them yourself if you can do what you suggested in the first post. I have a sneaking suspicion they will give you similar, if not more stern indication that the idea is wrong and constitutes Fraud, a Federal crime.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.