Update

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by SJsRazr, Mar 19, 2013.

1. SJsRazr

SJsRazr New Member

I have an original razr maxx running on gingerbread. I had another that I upgraded to ics and had nothing but trouble. Verizon replaced the phone 4 times - all had the same problems - they eventually gave me a galaxy s3. I miss the battery life of the maxx. If I upgrade will it go right to jellybean or to ics? I am terrified to upgrade it and ruin another maxx (the others were useless after the ics upgrade). Any suggestions or should I just play it safe and stay with gingerbread and keep selecting "install later" every day?
  2. NotreDameFan11

NotreDameFan11 Member

I have a Droid Razr Maxx with JB on it and it is a fantastic phone. If it were useless I wouldn't have it. GB, ICS and JB all have their pros and cons but this phone has been the best phone I have ever had especially with JB on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  3. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

It won't skip. My guess if it never had ICS, it is then ICS. Once on ICS, then JB gets pushed. The file that is being pushed looks at the current software version on the phone and makes sure you have all the system files present. If a system file is missing or not active, the upgrade will fail. If the push sees you are not on the previous version, it will fail. So the JB OTA is looking for ICS or a leaked JB, so it will fail if it sees you are on GB.
  4. SJsRazr

SJsRazr New Member

Darn, looks like I will be stuck on gingerbread forever :(. I had gotten two razr maxx phones when they were originally released. When the ics update came out I only updated the one line. After the update the phone overheated, kept rebooting itself, you couldn't enter text in most things, you couldn't download apps from the play store. Verizon replaced the phone many times. As soon as I received the replacement phone I had to upgrade it to ics, every phone had the exact same problems as my original one. Eventually verizon admitted that they had problems with the upgrade and replaced it with a galaxy s3. My concern is that if I upgrade to ics I will have the same problems and either will it be able to upgrade to jellybean or it will still be ruined even if I can get jellybean to install.
  5. cybertj.2000

cybertj.2000 New Member

It should update you to ics then to Jelly Bean, just make sure phone is charged.

If not, then I'm sure someone on here can tell you how to manually update to ics then ota update to jb

We are the Droid!!
    You will be assimilated!!
    Resistance is futile!!
  6. Susie2057

Susie2057 New Member

I got the notification today for the JB update but I delayed it. MY husband has a razr m and I do not like the changes for JB. So for now I am not updating my phone. I am currently on ICS.
    Cons for me
    Wallpaper sizing issues with personal pics
    google search bar on every screen
    chrome browser (hate browsers forced upon me)
    Loss of foxfi which won't run on JB
  7. aarong03

aarong03 Member

I agree with your thinking. I'm running my maxx on the .215 leak and get great battery life and phone performs good. I did see you can still run the hotspot if you follow the info in this thread:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/239341-rooting-new-jb-update.html
  8. 2razrmaxx

2razrmaxx New Member

I upgraded to JB from the 215 using the link above.
    I have not had any problems and my battery life is about the same as it was before.
    I also use the SQLite to get wifi working. No problems at all. 1 difference I had was that my change was online 79 not 66 like in the video. Find it by name.
  9. Susie2057

Susie2057 New Member

I have not managed to get any other hotspot wifi app working. I get the error message that directs me to call a phone number. Foxfi was no issue when I added it months ago.
  10. Redsnk95

Redsnk95 New Member

My thoughts in bold.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  11. aarong03

aarong03 Member

I like your fixes. Makes me feel better about updating to JB.
  12. Susie2057

Susie2057 New Member

I shouldn't have to go through the hassles of resizing my wall paper. Have used wallpaper wizardii on my husband's phone and it is ok. If a landscape picture it still doesn't work correctly. If I remove the search bar I lose the ability to use it at all. I only need it on one screen not all of them. No option other than to be stuck with it or disable it completely. Neither is acceptable to me. Chrome does not allow for flash and since flash is not supported in JB Chrome is second rate in my opinion. I prefer the dolphin browser which can display flash content. As for rooting, I can't do it. Not taking a chance of bricking my phone by doing something I am clueless on.
  13. Redsnk95

Redsnk95 New Member

Understood. Chrome works great for me and rarely need to use a Flash enabled browser, actually I couldn't think of the last time I needed to do that. Especially as websites change to HTML5. Rooting scared me as well...for about 4 years now. The utility was literally a plug in and go deal, no work to be done by the user.
  14. Miklb58

Miklb58 New Member

That's odd since I am on JB, and I have the search bar on one screen only......
  15. cybertj.2000

cybertj.2000 New Member

Would be the same here except I don't even have the search bar on one page, I just use the magnifying glass to pull up Google Now.

I would suggest finding someone that has a razr /razr maxx on jelly bean to compare apples to apples, build for the Razr M is different then the original razr and maxx.

Also, no issues with wall papers on my end, what specifically are your issues with wall papers?

We are the Droid!!
    You will be assimilated!!
    Resistance is futile!!
  16. Susie2057

Susie2057 New Member

On my husband's Razr M it is a permanent fixture that resides at the top of the phone regardless. You can change your screens but the Google search feature doesn't move as you change screens so unless the razr maxx is different the google now search bar is on the screen no matter what screen you are on.
    I read in a review the home screen will always be on the left on the RAZR HD with jb stock launcher. I prefer my home screen in the middle so I can scroll 2 to the left or two to the right.

Can anyone confirm if the razr maxx ( not HD) got the capability to use nfc to beam pics etc to another nfc phone?
  17. Miklb58

Miklb58 New Member

Do you have a Maxx, or Maxx HD?
    On the Maxx, the home screen is still in the middle position, 2 to the left, and 2 to the right.
    I sure don't know about the NFC, sorry.
  18. Redsnk95

Redsnk95 New Member

Razr Maxx (not HD) is not equipped NFC capabilities.
  19. Susie2057

Susie2057 New Member

It's not wall papers per se but using your on photos as wall paper do not crop right ( allow entire picture to show). But you are right I do need to look at a razr maxx who is stock with the JB update to compare any differences. I just know I did not like how JB was in the razr m.
  20. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

Its the same way on Maxx RAZR..just doesnt crop well to get the entire pic. I actually have both the Maxx and M home launchers..they crop the same exact way.
Search tags for this page

beam from samsung galaxy s3 to motorola razr maxx hd

how do i use nfc on my maxx

should i install jb update for razr?

use the droid razr maxx for the ps3 as a keyboard

why can't you beam with droid razr maxx