Update

SJsRazr

Reaction score
I have an original razr maxx running on gingerbread. I had another that I upgraded to ics and had nothing but trouble. Verizon replaced the phone 4 times - all had the same problems - they eventually gave me a galaxy s3. I miss the battery life of the maxx. If I upgrade will it go right to jellybean or to ics? I am terrified to upgrade it and ruin another maxx (the others were useless after the ics upgrade). Any suggestions or should I just play it safe and stay with gingerbread and keep selecting "install later" every day?

Reaction score
I have a Droid Razr Maxx with JB on it and it is a fantastic phone. If it were useless I wouldn't have it. GB, ICS and JB all have their pros and cons but this phone has been the best phone I have ever had especially with JB on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GotnFX

Reaction score
I have an original razr maxx running on gingerbread. I had another that I upgraded to ics and had nothing but trouble. Verizon replaced the phone 4 times - all had the same problems - they eventually gave me a galaxy s3. I miss the battery life of the maxx. If I upgrade will it go right to jellybean or to ics? I am terrified to upgrade it and ruin another maxx (the others were useless after the ics upgrade). Any suggestions or should I just play it safe and stay with gingerbread and keep selecting "install later" every day?

It won't skip. My guess if it never had ICS, it is then ICS. Once on ICS, then JB gets pushed. The file that is being pushed looks at the current software version on the phone and makes sure you have all the system files present. If a system file is missing or not active, the upgrade will fail. If the push sees you are not on the previous version, it will fail. So the JB OTA is looking for ICS or a leaked JB, so it will fail if it sees you are on GB.

OP
S

SJsRazr

Reaction score
Darn, looks like I will be stuck on gingerbread forever :(. I had gotten two razr maxx phones when they were originally released. When the ics update came out I only updated the one line. After the update the phone overheated, kept rebooting itself, you couldn't enter text in most things, you couldn't download apps from the play store. Verizon replaced the phone many times. As soon as I received the replacement phone I had to upgrade it to ics, every phone had the exact same problems as my original one. Eventually verizon admitted that they had problems with the upgrade and replaced it with a galaxy s3. My concern is that if I upgrade to ics I will have the same problems and either will it be able to upgrade to jellybean or it will still be ruined even if I can get jellybean to install.

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
It should update you to ics then to Jelly Bean, just make sure phone is charged.

If not, then I'm sure someone on here can tell you how to manually update to ics then ota update to jb

We are the Droid!!
You will be assimilated!!
Resistance is futile!!

Susie2057

Reaction score
I got the notification today for the JB update but I delayed it. MY husband has a razr m and I do not like the changes for JB. So for now I am not updating my phone. I am currently on ICS.
Cons for me
Wallpaper sizing issues with personal pics
google search bar on every screen
chrome browser (hate browsers forced upon me)
Loss of foxfi which won't run on JB

aarong03

Reaction score
I got the notification today for the JB update but I delayed it. MY husband has a razr m and I do not like the changes for JB. So for now I am not updating my phone. I am currently on ICS.
Cons for me
Wallpaper sizing issues with personal pics
google search bar on every screen
chrome browser (hate browsers forced upon me)
Loss of foxfi which won't run on JB

I agree with your thinking. I'm running my maxx on the .215 leak and get great battery life and phone performs good. I did see you can still run the hotspot if you follow the info in this thread:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/239341-rooting-new-jb-update.html

2razrmaxx

Reaction score
I upgraded to JB from the 215 using the link above.
I have not had any problems and my battery life is about the same as it was before.
I also use the SQLite to get wifi working. No problems at all. 1 difference I had was that my change was online 79 not 66 like in the video. Find it by name.

Susie2057

Reaction score
I upgraded to JB from the 215 using the link above.
I have not had any problems and my battery life is about the same as it was before.
I also use the SQLite to get wifi working. No problems at all. 1 difference I had was that my change was online 79 not 66 like in the video. Find it by name.

I have not managed to get any other hotspot wifi app working. I get the error message that directs me to call a phone number. Foxfi was no issue when I added it months ago.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Cons for me
Wallpaper sizing issues with personal pics (WallpaperWizardii fixes this)
google search bar on every screen (You can remove the search bar)
chrome browser (hate browsers forced upon me) )You can download another browser to use, and not make Chrome your default even though it is great)
Loss of foxfi which won't run on JB(Simple root + a WiFi app and you will have your hotspot back, works fine for me)

My thoughts in bold.

Last edited:

Susie2057

Reaction score
My thoughts in bold.

I shouldn't have to go through the hassles of resizing my wall paper. Have used wallpaper wizardii on my husband's phone and it is ok. If a landscape picture it still doesn't work correctly. If I remove the search bar I lose the ability to use it at all. I only need it on one screen not all of them. No option other than to be stuck with it or disable it completely. Neither is acceptable to me. Chrome does not allow for flash and since flash is not supported in JB Chrome is second rate in my opinion. I prefer the dolphin browser which can display flash content. As for rooting, I can't do it. Not taking a chance of bricking my phone by doing something I am clueless on.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Understood. Chrome works great for me and rarely need to use a Flash enabled browser, actually I couldn't think of the last time I needed to do that. Especially as websites change to HTML5. Rooting scared me as well...for about 4 years now. The utility was literally a plug in and go deal, no work to be done by the user.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I remove the search bar I lose the ability to use it at all. I only need it on one screen not all of them. No option other than to be stuck with it or disable it completely.

That's odd since I am on JB, and I have the search bar on one screen only......

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
Would be the same here except I don't even have the search bar on one page, I just use the magnifying glass to pull up Google Now.

I would suggest finding someone that has a razr /razr maxx on jelly bean to compare apples to apples, build for the Razr M is different then the original razr and maxx.

Also, no issues with wall papers on my end, what specifically are your issues with wall papers?

We are the Droid!!
You will be assimilated!!
Resistance is futile!!