[Updated] Verizon Plans To Eliminate 'Grandfathered' 3G Unlimited Data Plans

pinoy_92

Reaction score
sprint is looking so much better. i just got into a new 2 yr contract. hopefully if they do decide to force my unlimited plan to 4gb a month, the contract would be void. in which case ill gladly give my money to sprint.

_33

Reaction score
No personal attacks please...
I do agree it is Versions fault though, I heard from multiple local and tech support people that anyone on an unlimited 3g plan will be grandfathered in when they upgrade, and that was just a few months ago so Verizon was obviously telling them that they would get grandfathered in whenever they upgraded within the next 2 years at least

That is exactly what we were told. It's been about 9 months.

9 months x 3 additional data plans= 27 data plan months - 27 data plan months x 30.00 per plan= 810.00

So, 810.00 is what I've paid so far into something that I would not have gotten had I not been misled. Not one of those lines has broken 1gb of data in any of those months.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Just have to grow my 2¢ worth onto the pot. The thing that irks me the most is when our contracts are up, here I fly off into an unsubstantiated rant, we scoot down to Verizon hoping for the best, and then we realize the new customer gets 4 gigs for 30 bucks and we only get 2 gigs for 30 bucks (prices subject to change without notice). Corporate America hands out bonuses based on new business, not how many people bail ship.

darkmatter

Reaction score
Sounds like you can keep unlimited if you stay with 3g. Seeing as how I doubt I'll ever see 4g where I live, I'm fine with that. Though vzw is pretty much the only carrier that works here. Att just got 3g here within the last year...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sorry but I had sprint I ain't going back. I'll go boost or virgin mobile first. Maybe even metro that way the crappy service I'll get won't cost me as much. Sprint is the pits. Poor customer service and signal. With that said I can adapt even if I have to get a metro/boost mobile phone for home...and calls. And use vzw for business. Basically get non contract cheap for calls and text. Use vzw when I need it at work or on road for main data. I have a modem at the house so I use wifi when I am there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

meishkov

Reaction score
I don't really want to say goodbye to you Verizon.
But this may be it...

U aint kidding. How they gonna do this this soon? Couldn't they have waited just a little longer for us, the customers, to forget about the BS $30 upgrade fee to pay for training workshops or whatever horse sh.it excuse they came up with. Unbelievable

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

Last edited:

fireman00

Reaction score
I'm already dropping Verizon's home service because they won't unbundle my wired home phone - which I don't use and costs me 21 bucks a month - from my DSL. Dropping Verizon wireless wouldn't be a big deal. I'd probably hook up with AT&T for a tiered plan and swap my biggest data plan users, Pandora, AudioGalaxy and Slacker, for Satellite radio.

2ns

Reaction score
Verizon hasn't been "nice" to us to grandfather us on unlimited data, we've been nice to them by being their customers. They seem to have forgotten that!

The consumer would have most of the power in this country if only we would wield it. If masses of Verizon customers left for greener pastures, the whole industry would not only notice, they would know that we would be willing to do again! Sprint and Boost and whoever else would know where these customers came from and why! Maybe it is time to put Verizon out of business, that would get noticed. The attitude of "Oh well, it was nice while it lasted" is exactly why they get away with this crap.

Going to seriously look at Sprint but am worried about coverage. I know AT&T doesn't cover one place I really need it too. Don't know anything about Boost or walmart but am going to check into them.

Those of you worried about mid-contract changes, I read that it is only when upgrading phones, of course they will probably change that too.

Monshroud

Reaction score
I am really torn here. I come out of contract in September, although I can do an early upgrade now. If I upgraded now I would go to the Droid 4, but in September there could be sexier phones available. If I make the switch now can I keep my unlimited plan for another 2 years? What if I just pay full price for my phone? I am on a grandfathered voice plan that they have never tried to move me off of, so I would like to think they wouldn't force me off my data plan either.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon hasn't been "nice" to us to grandfather us on unlimited data, we've been nice to them by being their customers. They seem to have forgotten that!

The consumer would have most of the power in this country if only we would wield it. If masses of Verizon customers left for greener pastures, the whole industry would not only notice, they would know that we would be willing to do again! Sprint and Boost and whoever else would know where these customers came from and why! Maybe it is time to put Verizon out of business, that would get noticed. The attitude of "Oh well, it was nice while it lasted" is exactly why they get away with this crap.

Going to seriously look at Sprint but am worried about coverage. I know AT&T doesn't cover one place I really need it too. Don't know anything about Boost or walmart but am going to check into them.

Those of you worried about mid-contract changes, I read that it is only when upgrading phones, of course they will probably change that too.

Most wouldn't switch because " I don't want to change numbers." You mention number porting and their eyes will just glaze over .
Americans are sheep and companies can and do do whatever they want because the sheep just want to Bah a little louder instead of actually getting educated on capitalism and how their wallet is king/queen in a capitalistic society

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
I Fire my posts with Blue Tapatalk 2

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Out of everything Verizon has done....this is the only thing that could have me switching carriers.

I have found out AT&T is better in my area, at least for data reception. My PS Vita gets better data reception in my apt then any phone I have/had on Verizon this year. Unlimited data was one of the biggest things keeping me with them. I have a family plan with 3 phones that 2 phones dont have unlimited data. With all 3 possibly being tiered....I might as well go where service is better for me.

Unless the family data plan is worth while.....

I used to take what ppl said about Sprint's service with a grain of salt...until I experienced it this year with my kids mother and her Nexus S and iPhone 4. I dont know where Sprint gets good service....but its no where near where I work, hang out. Take that back...it does get good service at my job...in the building and immediate surrounding area. But it seems like thats it. That doesnt help me much...

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think VZW has historically not forced changes mid-contract?

What will be interesting, with what Google is doing, is if buying a phone thru a 3rd party and activating yourself will incur a plan change. I certainly understand them wanting to get out of the phone subsidy business (and if all carriers did this, ultimately good for the consumer as prices would come down considerably).

I don't expect anything drastic to people mid-contract (and even end-contract but without upgrading). They don't have that many people grandfathered into LTE - maybe 3-4M if that. They don't have to worry about those people. They'll get some on upgrades, they'll get some more dangling family share plans and VoLTE (2013 sometime)...and then they can always "fire" the customers who illegal tether.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most wouldn't switch because " I don't want to change numbers." You mention number porting and their eyes will just glaze over .

I really wish I would have ported my number to Google Voice when I had the chance. Wouldn't have to mess with paying for text messages then, and GV has some extra features for free like blocking.

Escobar

Reaction score
What does/will this eventually mean for those of us with the double data 4g plans?