Verizon's New Data Plans & Unlimited Grandfathered Reaffirmed in Training Doc Leak

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-data-plans.jpg

The above & below leaked training docs all but officially confirm the news we shared with you earlier this week regarding Verizon's new tiered data plans. It breaks the plans down in more detail, and also seems to confirm a bit of good news. It reaffirms existing customers that already have unlimited data plans will get to keep them grandfathered in. Below is also the internal training email. This leak was picked up by AndroidCentral.

verizon-data-plans-2.jpg
verizon-data-plans-1.jpg
As of this morning we have been given the green light to start training on the data changes Verizon Wireless is making effective 7/7/11.

$29.99 unlimited data will be discontinued effective 7/7/11

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That have our $29.99 unlimited data plan WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN, they will keep their unlimited plan after 7/7/11

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That add lines post 7/7/2011, will NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited data feature

NEW CUSTOMERS- Any customer that sets up service from now, until 7/7/2011 WILL BE ON, AND WILL BE GRANDFATHERED into our $29.99 unlimited data package

NEW CUSTOMERS- Any new customer that set up service AFTER 7/7/2011, WILL NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited plan

BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- Currently our business discounts apply to the $29.99 data plan on the primary line only. Most discounts are 20% despite whatever monthly access discount they have

BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the primary line.

Discount break down ex. of customers with a 20% feature discount on their primary line. ($50-20%=$40/month for 5GB and includes the business e-mail feature)

-- ($20/GB vs. $40/GB+ Business e-mail )

New data pricing for smart phones is as follows:

$30 for 2GB with $10/GB overage

$50 for 5GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage

$80 for 10GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage

So all changes effective July 7th, 2011.

Existing customer KEEP their $29.99 unlimited data plan

If an existing customer upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone after 7/7/11, they will NOT be able to add on the unlimited data package. They must choose from the new data plans.

Anyone who sets up new service with unlimited data, upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone with unlimited data, or customer currently on the $29.99 before July, 7, 2011 will be grandfathered in.

These changes also apply to employee plans as well (personal accounts w/work discounts applied)

SO, This is a huge time for us to set our customers up with the right package for them! We only have 14 DAYS remaining for unlimited data, and until the new data pricing takes effect. (14 days to setup new customers w/unlimited data, and customers upgrading from a feature phone to a smart phone)

PLEASE, PLEASE make sure we take advantage of this heads up and get our heavy data users set up on these unlimited plans before they change.

Please call, text or e-mail me any questions or concerns you might have.

Source: AndroidCentral

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
My big question is if and when I get a 4G phone is that considered a "different" data plan? I'd like to get the Bionic when that arrives, and I currently have the Droid X. Or am I grandfathered into 4G also regardless of whether or not I currently have a 3G phone?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
My big question is if and when I get a 4G phone is that considered a "different" data plan? I'd like to get the Bionic when that arrives, and I currently have the Droid X. Or am I grandfathered into 4G also regardless of whether or not I currently have a 3G phone?

Smartphone data is smartphone data. Verizon doesn't differentiate between 3G and 4G data.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lucky for me tied in to unlimeted data :) when we cant upgrade and stay on unlimeted data.. time to start doing ebay..

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Quote: PLEASE, PLEASE make sure we take advantage of this heads up and get our heavy data users set up on these unlimited plans before they change. End Quote

Does this make sense to anyone. "Our" heavy users implies current customers. Would not most if not all current users be on the grandfathered current 29.99? And does this sort of imply that they recognize there are folks who do run over the current 5gig sort of implied kinda of treated as a throttling limit? perhaps to this person 3Gigs is heavy???

Craig

SithDroid2187

Reaction score
I noticed today that if I take my early upgrade, I can get a TBolt for $170. I may jump on the chance. I know I can upgrade and keep my unlimited data but don't want to risk it.

bassJAM

Reaction score
So it sounds like my 25% company discount isn't grandfathered in for data? That really really suxs.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
So, according to this, I will be all set with my unlimited plan EVEN IF I upgrade to a new phone later down the road? That's rad..

reposter432

Reaction score
Glad I got my Droid X earlier this month. I'm surprised there's no 1 GB or 512 MB data plan. What kind of user would use a 75 MB plan, I wonder?

jseah

Reaction score
Glad I got my Droid X earlier this month. I'm surprised there's no 1 GB or 512 MB data plan. What kind of user would use a 75 MB plan, I wonder?

Since the 75 MB plan is only for feature phones......someone who has a feature phone and can only access wap sites.

DJRobNM

Reaction score
Here's a Ferrari with a one gallon gas tank. Have fun!

Attachments

• 8380885.jpg
    8380885.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 631

blackjackbrant

Reaction score
I'm really excited to see this e-mail, but I hope it's real?? I've dealt with internal training memos before, and while they are casually written, they were always written properly and professionally.

EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the unlimited data

I don't know if it would have went out with a glaring error(s).