[HACKS] UPDATED Droid RAZR Utility [WINDOWS]

monkey_man

Reaction score
Hi there!

I used to root my OG Droid, but can't call myself an expert as mod things from OEM still gives me chill of ruining things. I have few questions before I jump into things. Thanks in advance!
1. Is this program with all of the steps to root Razr all be done while razr connected to PC? So phone will need be in charge only mode and debugging mode enabled?

2. What is fastboot? is this a step for when something going wrong in the rooting process? (through self-experiment this is the same as entering recovery mode :icon_ lala:)

3. What's the difference between bootstrap and safestrap (Why is this one for expert?)

4. I have a brand new Maxx with 2.3.5 and sys version .748 . The system updates keep on screaming at me to install OTA .173. What should I do here? Should I install offical OTA updates first then do the following steps #5 backup into bootstrap, #15 Wipe dalvik cache, #2 Root .173(2.3.6) , #4 Voodoo rootkeeper, and then do #17 reboot phone?

5. Once I plug the phone to USB I just go ahead use the program and it will automatically configure the phone or I must go to recovery mode first (power+vol down), then I connect the phone to PC?

6. Lastly, how to get into AP fastboot mode? (I got this from self-experiment :biggrin:) but why it says device locked status 0 mean?

Last edited:
OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hi there! I used to root my OG Droid, but can't call myself an expert as mod things from OEM still gives me chill of ruining things. I have few questions before I jump into things. Thanks in advance!

1. Is this program with all of the steps to root Razr all be done while razr connected to PC? So phone will need be in charge only mode and debugging mode enabled?

All must be connected to PC. Charge only mode and debugging enabled for most, but not for the fastboot commands. (Read the numbered list of functions in the OP to see which those are)

2. What is fastboot? is this a step for when something going wrong in the rooting process? (through self-experiment this is the same as entering recovery mode :icon_ lala:)

OG Droid had SBF files, LTE Droid phones has Fastboot files. If you ever screw up your phone badly you fix yourself with these.

3. What's the difference between bootstrap and safestrap (Why is this one for expert?)SafeStrap is for more experienced users. It has 2 systems and is meant for testing unstable Roms. It ruins the /preinstall/ folder when you use it.Bootstrap is 1 system and lets you boot into CWM.

4. I have a brand new Maxx with 2.3.5 and sys version .748 . The system updates keep on screaming at me to install OTA .173. What should I do here? Should I install offical OTA updates first then do the following steps #5 backup into bootstrap, #15 Wipe dalvik cache, #2 Root .173(2.3.6) , #4 Voodoo rootkeeper, and then do #17 reboot phone?

Install the official OTA. THEN root. and do whatever you want. You never have to do #17 I just do it when I don't want to manually do it.

5. Once I plug the phone to USB I just go ahead use the program and it will automatically configure the phone or I must go to recovery mode first (power+vol down), then I connect the phone to PC?

You plug it in and have USB Debugging enabled. (Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging)

6. Lastly, how to get into AP fastboot mode? (I got this from self-experiment :biggrin:) but why it says device locked status 0 mean?Status 1 is unlocked bootloader. Status 0 is locked.Turn off phoneTurn it on by holding down both volume buttons and the power button.Move down the the volume down key and select with the volume up key, AP FASTBOOT.
I hope that answers them all.

Last edited:

monkey_man

Reaction score
Amazing Responses m8... thanks a million! So much better and simpler that I don't need to do backup, wipe dalvik cache, nor install voodoo rootkeeper anymore. DancingNexus

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Amazing Responses m8... thanks a million! So much better and simpler that I don't need to do backup, wipe dalvik cache, nor install voodoo rootkeeper anymore. DancingNexus
Voodoo can still be useful for the next update... and then ICS lol

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I appreciate the patch to allow fastbooting without erasing the internal SD Card. I haven't installed it yet but hope it gives you the option to erase if you still do desire.

Last edited:

cnero1987

Reaction score
I previously had my razr rooted but lost it with the new update to 173. I am trying to reroot using the utility, which shows the root is successful but superuser will not grant access to bootstrap or the root keeper app. I also have tried to check for root using command prompts "su whoami" and that is denied as well. Any ideas??

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I previously had my razr rooted but lost it with the new update to 173. I am trying to reroot using the utility, which shows the root is successful but superuser will not grant access to bootstrap or the root keeper app. I also have tried to check for root using command prompts "su whoami" and that is denied as well. Any ideas??
Should have used OTA rootkeeper....
My idea is to restore directly to 6.12.173 with my utility then reroot as stock.

cnero1987

Reaction score
that worked with no problems...thanks for your help and for such a quick response! this utility is awesome!

monkey_man

Reaction score
What to do with bootsrap recovery? There are 2 options which to pick and what to do with them? How to uninstall bootstrap? Thanks for the help.

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

monkey_man

Reaction score
For crying out loud! :blink: So many new terms that is basically mean the same thing with a little adjustment (thank you Google search and many open forums) or perhaps my thinking was wrong. So, Unlike OG Droid where installing clockword Mod Recovery meant that it replaces the SP recovery from the phone in order to change ROMS via ROM manager as an example. In order to regain SP recovery/SBF I have to use rsd lite. In this case I can just uninstall Bootstrap any time I want and still rooted without knowing that I am using Clockwork Mod Recovery as it runs side by side with stock recovery. I can just uninstall bootstrap.apk and then install safestrap using your tools just like that then?

Edit: hahaha Matt just as I typed this, I read your post above me.

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Teehee.
We cannot install "true" CWM like you could on the OG Droid. Only methods to boot into it. Never replaces stock Motorola recovery.
Also, they don't use SBF anymore.

mlo0352

Reaction score
If I understand the whole AP Fastboot thing and this utility (which I'm very grateful for!), after doing option 1, I should have a "like new" stock phone, right? The weird thing is, I've done this twice now (once using your 1.31 a couple weeks ago) and again, just now with the 1.41 (I actually tried 1.40 before that but it wouldn't start even). I still have my previous state. This is odd. (Here is a description of my problem: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/198091-huge-pile-problems.html). People have been recommending RSD Lite and your utility, but while RSD never even started, yours hasn't done the trick. Have I broken something irreparable? I can't imagine that's even possible, haha. I'd be super grateful for any help anybody could provide on this issue. It's driving me crazy...

W1ngNut

Reaction score
Just wanted to add my HUGE THANK YOU! I tried another way of restoring to stock ROM and got into a boot loop. Your program worked simply amazing and I'm back in business. Will make sure I backup THIS time. Thanks again.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
We are going to feature this utility in our next Newsletter (due out at the end of the month)