thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
worked like a champ 2.3.6 now my Razr is truely MAXX'ed
some bones sent Matt's way...

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does this utility support the RAZR Maxx as well?

Both same software ..
Did my maxx last night.. 5 minutes or so and i was rooted..
Do #2 then i installed voodoo root keeper (forget what #) then i went with bootstrap for recovery...
Phone will reboot 3 or 4 times

----posted maxx'ed out----

Last edited:

Only1Bato

Reaction score
Did all this- works awesome! I wanted to get the ICS leak but when trying to install "Software version: 651.167.20 Retail en.EU" I get the esignature not verified. How are you suppose to get the ICS on the Razr to be able to use "Droid Razr Root 4.0.3" on the program.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sorry. Not Sure I understand. We are talking basic DOS/Windows stuff here.

Don't extract to C:\ as this will throw a bunch of files at your root directory.

Try this:
Click on the zip file.
From a view of the zip file contents do the following:

These contents can be seen in the folder view in post #1 of this thread.

Press Ctrl+A (This selects all the files)
Press Ctrl+C (This copies all the files to your notepad)
Go to My Computer via Start or the vehicle of your choice.
Click on Drive C. Or the drive you want to store the utility on. It is 2.8GB so if you have multiple drives this may be a concern.
Right click and Select "New". Then Select "Folder"
Give the Folder a Name. Take a pick. Doesn't matter what you call it.
Double Click on the newly named folder.
It will appear empty.
Press Ctrl+V (Paste)
All the files from your extracted folder are now copied into the folder you just created.
Now,from the folder view you are now presented with you should have a .bat file.
Left click this file and drag it from the folder to your desktop.
You will now be presented with a menu of options.
One of these options will be "Create Shortcut Here". Select it.
If you now click on the resulting icon, you will be taken directly to the utility.
BTW, if you select the Icon with your mouse and click on the text, you can rename it to your liking.
There is no need for all that shortcut.lnk stuff in the ICON name.

Let me know of any questions. I'm simply a click away from the utility at anytime. Awesome work!

Thank you for taking time to elaborate the method you describe for everyone to potentially benefit from. It seems at times that developers speak through such a familiarity with the process and lingo that the length of explanation they give - no matter how detailed or concise they make it, seems completely intuitive to them however for a newbie or someone who is not technically savvy, it's hard to follow and may lead them down paths that can sometimes result in dire consequences. I see it often (especially when doing things such as rooting, flashing roms, etc.), and in the past, often I have been one who tries to decipher that lingo and put it into plain English for the benefit of others. This is why I can appreciate what you've done.

In my case, I am guilty now of perhaps not having clearly conveyed my steps taken earlier. To clarify, I didn't extract the separate files to the c:\ root directory, but to its own named folder (DroidRAZRUtility1.4) as you suggest. It works there. The problem is it's completely where the folder with the rootkit is placed that makes all the difference for me.

Initially I extracted the files to a folder named "DroidRAZRUtility1.4" on the desktop. I did this because I typically treat the desktop as sort of an incubator for new tools, and only once I am sure they work the way they were intended, do I move the folder to a permanent storage location such as "c:\Program Files\DroidRAZRUtility1.4". I've found that when the folder named "DroidRAZRUtility1.4" and containing the rootkit (DroidRAZRUtility.bat, folder named "files", OverclockingREADME.txt, and the file called "1300mhz") is placed on the desktop, running the bat file will not open a command window properly. When I double-click on the bat file, it initially appears to open and I see a flash of a command black screen with yellow text, but it closes before I can even make out any of the text. This can be reproduced an infinite number of times and the results are the same each time.

To prove that it's being on the desktop that makes the difference, I just now tried (based upon your suggestion) to put a shortcut on the desktop that points to the bat file in the folder on the desktop. When I run that shortcut I get the same results, so it doesn't matter whether I try to run it directly from inside that folder, or if I use a shortcut pointing to the same bat file. What's even more interesting to me is when I actually explore to the physical folder on the hard drive that points to the desktop (C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop\DroidRAZRUtility1.4), and try to run the bat file from within the physical folder it still doesn't open the tool successfully either.

However, if I take that entire folder and move it to the root directory of the C: drive (C:\DroidRAZRUtility1.4) then the bat file not only works from inside the folder directly, but will also work as a shortcut placed on the desktop or anywhere else on the computer, with the target pointing to the file and folder on the C drive (C:\DroidRAZRUtility1.4\DroidRAZRUtility.bat) as well. Again, to further prove that having the folder anywhere else other than on the desktop will work, I moved the folder to the program files folder (C:\Program Files\DroidRAZRUtility1.4), and again it works without a problem, and again no matter where I put a shortcut including on the desktop it works.

I am not sure why this is so since I am very rusty on my code and really only experienced in BASIC (yeah, BASIC...LOL), but I am speculating that in the script contained in the bat file, at least one file or folder is called with a command that is pointing to the physical root (C:\) directory and then to the self-named folder, rather than pointing to the relative directory or virtual folder no matter where that folder is contained. The other possibility is that since the desktop isn't really a folder in the strictest sense of the word, but is more an image or virtual mirror of the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop", perhaps the bat file can't resolve the actual folder name contained in the shortcut or on the desktop.

So why make such an issue of it? Well I am not really trying to make an issue of it so much as to understand why I was so frustrated in trying to get it to work while most everyone else was apparently not having the same problem, and to also assist others who just might stumble onto the same problem I'd had. Should it be noted in the instructions that the folder should NOT be extracted to the desktop? Should the code be revised to resolve the proper folder address? Is either necessary or even (in the case of the code and address resolving) possible? I don't know. What I do know, at least on MY PC is that if this rootkit in its extracted form inside its own named folder it will not run if the named folder is placed on the desktop.

;)

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
You definitely used the 10 character minimum on that one... ;)

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Well Foxcat, I've used TeamViewer to fix and run my utility on many computers this past week, and it did not matter where the folder was for any of them, as long as the files were together like they came. Desktop, documents, downloads, USB drives, you name it and I tried it there. Something must be weird with your computer in this special case. I apologize about having to go through that, but it was not a result of the coding of my batch file, it was because of your Windows installation's settings.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well Foxcat, I've used TeamViewer to fix and run my utility on many computers this past week, and it did not matter where the folder was for any of them, as long as the files were together like they came. Desktop, documents, downloads, USB drives, you name it and I tried it there. Something must be weird with your computer in this special case. I apologize about having to go through that, but it was not a result of the coding of my batch file, it was because of your Windows installation's settings.

You don't need to apologize. If it's a quirk in my Windows installation as your research apparently proves then it's something that I have to work through myself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You definitely used the 10 character minimum on that one... ;)

Was it a 10 character minimum? I thought it was a 10K minimum. ;) I am sorry for the rant.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Used the updated utility this morning - worked great! Thank you again for the hard work on this!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I used it too and it was successful in fastbooting my RAZR. I had fastbooted to 744 before, and then OTA'd to 748 and then to 173. When I did it the old fashioned way, all apps and settings remained. Unfortunately I missed the line that warned the internal SD Card would be formatted in the rootkit. Since I had fastbooted before I expected nothing different. Obviously my oversight.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Oh, mine was not planned :) and I had no way to back it up so I lost all of that too...I have a calendar reminder to back up to my hard drive now at least weekly...