Thunderbolt vs Droid Bionic

droid fetish

Reaction score
Well...for people not worried about the locked bootloader, which i know is few and far between on this forum, my opinion is that the bionic will prove to be a better phone in the long run.

The TB seems to be a culmination of the single-core generation, and will probably push higher end hardware into mid and subsequently lower end phones.

The Bionic is Moto's baby step into next gen territory.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

2 "words". Moto Blur. The Bionic will push high end hardware into a unoptimized bloated dual core phone.
If you read about the dual core phones they cant even begin to achieve their potential until honeycomb comes out to optimize their processors and thats at least a year out for the phones, as it stands right now the proven single core technology will undoubtedly be much better. In the future that will change, but right now single core unlocked bootloader over dual core locked bootloader is a no brainier! Also when honeycomb is released to the devs. first, it will be easier to port to an unlocked phone.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Where are you getting your info from? Honeycomb isn't coming to phones. They're just going to tie Gingerbread and Honeycomb together with Ice Cream. I also don't think it's going to take them a year either.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Dual core tech is still better, but I don't think it's going to help much until the optimization. Personally I'm really thinking about getting a Thunderbolt to hold me over until the quad core phones come out at the end of the year. That processor is sick. No point getting a Tegra 2 in June when the Tegra 3 will be out in December. The off contract price of the Thunderbolt is just pretty steep though.

droid fetish

Reaction score
Where are you getting your info from? Honeycomb isn't coming to phones. They're just going to tie Gingerbread and Honeycomb together with Ice Cream. I also don't think it's going to take them a year either.

Page 3 news, it says ice cream supposedly(not the official name yet), after honeycomb releases, and updates at six month intervals, maybe thats not 12 months exactly but since honeycomb hasnt been officialy released yet? I guess my point was there will be so many new launches before ice cream comes out you could say any phone running the current configuration will be outdated in six months. So a phone that will run the current software most efficiently is the one you want.
As I said in another post the htc is proven bug free technology, The thunderbolt isnt. I remember when rim rushed the storm to market, I got one right away and it took rim almost a year to get that phone right. Moto has shown this impatience in the past also htc has not.

Its TwiX

Reaction score
Dual core tech is still better, but I don't think it's going to help much until the optimization. Personally I'm really thinking about getting a Thunderbolt to hold me over until the quad core phones come out at the end of the year. That processor is sick. No point getting a Tegra 2 in June when the Tegra 3 will be out in December. The off contract price of the Thunderbolt is just pretty steep though.

When the quad core phones out they won't be optimized either. At that point it would be better for a dual core phone as Ice Cream will probably be out.

mjforte

Reaction score
Only thing about waiting for phones with the Tegra 3 is that I doubt they'll be out this year. I know it says they'll be ready, but with all the testing and everything else, I wouldn't expect to see any phones with it until summer of next year. Remember Moto's promise of a 2ghz phone by the end of last year? Yeah that's the Bionic that we're probably not going to see until maybe June. So getting the Bionic on a 1 year contract wouldn't be such a bad idea.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
On the topic of tegras, Has anyone seen the thread about nvidias tegra roadmap? They are effectively promising better than core 2 duo performance by next year! Insane stuff man.

I've read, but am too lazy to dig up, an article where google reportedly states they are more or less skipping gingerbread for a lot of devices and instead are combining GB and honeycomb with 2.4 because of conflicts with dual core optimized apps running on a single core phone. Hopefully we 'outdated' phone users will have a great OTA coming late this summer!

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The Atrix has been rooted, so can the Bionic be far behind? No word on how locked-down the Atrix is, but I'm betting the Bionic will be at LEAST as bad, if not worse.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

Page 3 news, it says ice cream supposedly(not the official name yet), after honeycomb releases, and updates at six month intervals, maybe thats not 12 months exactly but since honeycomb hasnt been officialy released yet? I guess my point was there will be so many new launches before ice cream comes out you could say any phone running the current configuration will be outdated in six months. So a phone that will run the current software most efficiently is the one you want.
As I said in another post the htc is proven bug free technology, The thunderbolt isnt. I remember when rim rushed the storm to market, I got one right away and it took rim almost a year to get that phone right. Moto has shown this impatience in the past also htc has not.

Right but from what I understand it's saying the Honeycomb release on a tablet and not the release on phones. Ice cream is going to be the next release after the upgraded Gingerbread, not Honeycomb. You think they're going to not update tablets for a year? Also, to the person who said it won't be optimized for quad core I believe that's incorrect. Once the new versions of Android are optimized for multi threading it doesn't matter how many cores they add because it's already been optimized. You don't have to keep optimizing every single time they add cores.

bigkoch125

Reaction score
Thunderbolt. Unlocked bootloader= custom roms=not being stuck waiting for carriers to update.

bigkoch125

Reaction score
The Atrix has been rooted, so can the Bionic be far behind? No word on how locked-down the Atrix is, but I'm betting the Bionic will be at LEAST as bad, if not worse.

Root isnt necessarily the hard part its the fact that you cant get kernals and true custom roms with the locked bootloaders.