Tbolt vs. Bionic w/ signed bootloader?

Reaction score
Thunderbolt because:
-the bionic wont have any software the utilizes both cores yet
-the bionic is locked
-the bionic wont come out until way after I get my upgrade (I get it late March)
-32gb SD on the TB
-HTC has been known to do great things :)

Seems reasonable to assume that if the XOOM tablet has an unlockable boot loader, the BIONIC will have an unlockable boot loader as well.

If so I don't see much reason to stick with the TBolt

But the Atrix has a locked bootloader. I believe the only reason the xoom is unlocked is because it's google's baby.

atmcgill97

Reaction score
Thunderbolt because:
-the bionic wont have any software the utilizes both cores yet
-the bionic is locked
-the bionic wont come out until way after I get my upgrade (I get it late March)
-32gb SD on the TB
-HTC has been known to do great things :)

Seems reasonable to assume that if the XOOM tablet has an unlockable boot loader, the BIONIC will have an unlockable boot loader as well.

If so I don't see much reason to stick with the TBolt

But the Atrix has a locked bootloader. I believe the only reason the xoom is unlocked is because it's google's baby.

Exactly. Lets not forget the difference between a tablet and a cell phone people!

Jordan8

Reaction score
Gonna be honest, Id rather see some improvements in the battery tech before having the 4G drain & what not. Wonder why the bionic has a such a noticeably larger battery than the thunderbolt?

Jordan8

Reaction score
Only reason I'm not really impressed with the bionic is because there are not multithread apps to take advantage of the dual core and tbh with the way apps go, they probably wont be until apple releases a dual core device(please don't flame me bro)

I've gotten a couple app updates recently saying they've added support for tegra 2 devices.

Its TwiX

Reaction score
Gonna be honest, Id rather see some improvements in the battery tech before having the 4G drain & what not. Wonder why the bionic has a such a noticeably larger battery than the thunderbolt?

Perhaps that it has 2x the processing power? :D

MB - KB ... What's 1000 times larger between friends ;)

Don't you mean 1024 times larger? :p

foxky

Reaction score
the xooms bootloader is not unlocked. its unlockABLE. :p

tapped on my LibX 1.5

Its TwiX

Reaction score
Also... the Bionic will probably not be locked but signed is very different. Someone earlier was saying that just because it's locked doesn't matter. This is true, but a SIGNED bootloader means no customization can be done to the signed partitions like... custom ROMS. Just thought I'd clear that up. Just because Motorola decided to not lock their XOOM doesn't mean they will do the same to the Bionic. The Atrix is similar to the Bionic and is signed so there's no reason to believe the Bionic won't be signed too. You can hope I guess :p

I'm getting the Thunderbolt because 1st gen dual cores won't be 100% better than single cores for now... maybe 10-30%. Instead, I'll buy TB on a 1 year contract then when a OS comes out to optimize a quad core, I'll buy a quad core phone.

banderbe

Reaction score
Also... the Bionic will probably not be locked but signed is very different. Someone earlier was saying that just because it's locked doesn't matter. This is true, but a SIGNED bootloader means no customization can be done to the signed partitions like... custom ROMS. Just thought I'd clear that up. Just because Motorola decided to not lock their XOOM doesn't mean they will do the same to the Bionic. The Atrix is similar to the Bionic and is signed so there's no reason to believe the Bionic won't be signed too. You can hope I guess :p

I'm getting the Thunderbolt because 1st gen dual cores won't be 100% better than single cores for now... maybe 10-30%. Instead, I'll buy TB on a 1 year contract then when a OS comes out to optimize a quad core, I'll buy a quad core phone.

What's the point of a 1 year contract if the "new every two" thing is going away?

You wouldn't save money would you? They're going to have everyone pay full retail for the phones regardless of contract - unless I misunderstand the entire change.

Its TwiX

Reaction score

What's the point of a 1 year contract if the "new every two" thing is going away?

You wouldn't save money would you? They're going to have everyone pay full retail for the phones regardless of contract - unless I misunderstand the entire change.

At the end of your one year contract you can buy another phone at the 2 year contract price.

For 2 year contracts: With the new upgrade policy, you have to wait 20 months to upgrade at 2 year contract price. They got rid of New Every 2 and annual upgrades.

1 year contracts didn't change.
Seems like they confused you a bit. :D

Last edited:

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
The tbolt will have a very large extended battery available which includes a new back, so don't worry too much about batt life.