1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Tbolt vs. Bionic w/ signed bootloader?

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by Frammer13, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Frammer13

Frammer13 New Member

Now that we have seen an Atrix rooted with a signed bootloader has anyone thought about holding out for a Bionic vs. the Thunderbolt?
  2. MLPZ999

MLPZ999 New Member

Basically every phone can be rooted so has nothing to do with a signed bootloader mainly the difference between locked and unlocked is ASOP roms and custom kernels on unlocked and only OTA based roms on locked but remember droid 2 and x have some good roms so its personal preference. AOSP roms are generally better in my opinion so I'm getting the Thunderbolt. Honestly the bootloader wont be that big a deal for most cause of the hardware but i need an unlocked so up to you and what you want.
  3. appdaddy

appdaddy New Member

Haha, I want to wait for the Bionic. But only for the dual core 1ghz processors... But the thunderbolt is looking VERY sexy.... I was wondering, Moto, or HTC? I own the OG Droid and it has served me VERY well. So all I know is Moto.... But, I hear HTC has a better Camera... Even with my sexy rom's the camera still gives me problems ... I HOPE Moto fixes the camera issues with the BIONIC.... And I hope I hear a confirmation about the camera before I make a decision.... Come on Moto!!
  4. MLPZ999

MLPZ999 New Member

Either way if you want a dual core with a unlocked bootloader get a one year contract and wait for the htc dual cores next year supposedly nvidia will have quad cores in phones the end of this year but i really doubt It'll be for consumers either way a one year contract would be good.
  5. appdaddy

appdaddy New Member

@MLPZ999, This is true... so, I've never done a 1yr contract. I'm thinking that the only difference is the phone price correct? It'll be a little more expensive for the phone, but my bill stays the same, right? Well, plus the 4G data tacked on of course. Oh, and also, when putting in scripts/tinkering with your device (which I'm obsessed with) can you tell me whether or not there are any differences between moto and htc? I'm comfortable using rsd lite but I'm unfamiliar with the way htc works. Any insight will be great. TIA.
  6. MLPZ999

MLPZ999 New Member

From what I know only difference is price no bill changes eg: droid x is $70 more for a one year and as for rsd lite type of thing with htc I'm not sure maybe dig around xdadevelopers for that.
  7. appdaddy

appdaddy New Member

@MLPZ999 thanks. I'm definitely going to look into it.
  8. Sniper_5

Sniper_5 New Member

Ive never dealt with a locked boot-loader before so Im still on the fence about all this. I like the looks and capabilities (fully unlocked) of the HTC but Im really likeing the specs of the Bionic. Im thinking though with the quad cores coming at the end of the yard I may pick up the Thunderbolt for its 32GB SD card and hold me over until then.
  9. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Bionic is going to have horrible battery life and a junk camera IMO.
  10. Sniper_5

Sniper_5 New Member

Ive never had an issue with Motorola cameras, and everyone seems to forget the main point of dual core isnt just better processing power, but each core can run at a much lower voltage, increasing battery life, not hurting it. The only thing thats going to effect battery life is the user, and 4G which is going to be across the board, not phone specific.
  11. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Ok you make valid point about the processors. I have had 3 Moto's with all bad cameras, and when you compare the type of picture the htc incredible takes compared to the X or Droid, there is no comparision. There is always a grainy-ness to moto's images.
  12. Sniper_5

Sniper_5 New Member

Thats odd, the only time Ive had a problem with Moto camera's is certain camera apps built into different ROM's but I do know what your talking about. Me however, Ive never had an issue. Guess maybe I got lucky, but even my replacement D1 has crystal clear pics. Have to remember though too. The camera resolution wasnt designed for computer screens, just phone to phone.
  13. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Yea that is a nice pic:) But try taking one inside in medium light, that is where mine has trouble. But I am being nit picky now...I take a lot of photos with my Droid and I just need a better camera next time around. My friends Inc is so much better. But I guess the camera isn't too bad on the D1.
  14. Sniper_5

Sniper_5 New Member

Basement :p but in all honesty I have no experience with any other Motorola Camera's on android devices, just some flip phones. LG has some pretty slick cameras though. I do agree though, HTC has some great camera's. My buddy had an HTC Hero, and now an HTC HD2 running android lol.
  15. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Ok, not a bad picture either:) My old LG voyager took awesome pics. Android on a HD2 Windows Phone!...that is pretty interesting.
  16. Sniper_5

Sniper_5 New Member

Yeah I had an LG dare. Its a shame the rest of the phone was junk. Hopefully LG will step up their game for android. I'd like to give a nice quad or dual core LG a shot at the end of the year. For now though I think I may give HTC a shot.

Sent from my DROID running SS5.0@ 1.25Ghz
  17. Dugall12

Dugall12 New Member

I think dual cores are gonna be a waste of time especially in the begining because the software has to be written to take advantage of the dual cores and knowing how fragmented Android is I doubt developers will waste their time producing apps for only high end phones. Personally I'm looking forward to the Thunderbolt after having a moto droid since launch. I'm intrigued by sense and like what it has to offer, plus a kick stand would come in very handy for me also the Thunderbolt has a better front facing camera than the Bionic not to mention the Bionic will be locked down, so by the time I get bored of the Thunderbolt I can enjoy some developer goodness with custom kernals.
  18. Skull One

Skull One New Member

Your statement about "Much Lower Voltage" increasing battery life is slightly exaggerated.

The amount of voltage needed is a product of how much potential is required to reach the forward bias of all the transistors in the path of the computation/instruction execution along with the frequency (faster = less time spent and requires higher voltage to overcome this issue) of the the electrons as they travel thru this path. Since "Dual Cores" have more active transistors due to both CPUs executing some form of code at all times, your theory of increasing battery life is counter to the physical requirements of the transistor based technology being used.

BUT.....

Before you run off and spend sometime with Google trying to prove my explanation wrong, let me clear up a few facts ahead of time for you.

1) Dual Core uses less power than two Single core CPUs. This is fact, because the number of support chips needed are reduced. But that really has nothing to do with your statement.

On the other hand though....

2) Dual Core uses smaller traces (IE die size) which require less power. Fact, but since there are more transistor now running at the same time, the slightly lowered voltage gain is lost by the amount of electrons used to support both cores running at the same speed as a "Single Core" CPU at full speed.

So where doe your statement start to hold water when it comes "Dual Core" CPUs? You can run a "Dual Core" CPU at a lower speed which equates to needing less voltage, which means you will use less power but still be more powerful than that of a "Single Core" CPU overall.

No argument there what-so-ever.

But that savings is going to be less than 10% of the overall battery life of the phone. Mainly because they are going to sell these "Dual Core" phones with clock speeds of 1Ghz or higher which is what "Single Core" phones are already running at.

Now for the kicker. The 4G radio chips are going to be eating more power then 3G chips. Two reasons for that.

1) They are brand new and still need refining.
    2) They have higher data throughput and hence need faster chips sets which lead to the whole "need more voltage" the faster you go.

Also, the display of the phone usually eats more power than any other subsystem. So to really see power gains, that is where the breakthroughs will need to be made.

So, long story short. Expect the first generation "Dual Core" phones to have worse battery life over current "Single Core" phones to begin with. And as manufacturing refinements increase, your statement will finally come into parity.
  19. Sniper_5

Sniper_5 New Member

Who said anything about arguing? Your clearly more experienced and have done more research, I appreciate the input and clarification. It makes sense. Just another reason to pick the Thunderbolt and hold out for better dual or quad cores later down the road. :)
  20. kptphalkon

kptphalkon New Member

Also, expect between 10 and 20 percent speed increase (most *idiots* will relate this to quadrant scores) in processing with these first gen dual cores, instead of a doubling of power.

Main issue will be android functionality with dual core procs, also the kernels will be brand new, as companies begin entering into this new territory.

Aside from that current lp ddr2 designs still dont handle enough bandwidth for multiple cores to access the ram as fast as they can process requests.

Now this has always and forever will be an issue with desktops, laptops, and phones. My main point is that with overhead and two cores fighting for share of a memory channel, expect maybe 1.5x read/write to ram versus the theoretical 2x that the ddr2 can provide over ddr.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G