Super speed without rooting

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
I AM MAKING A COMPARISON- only internal though

No... he was more claiming that the task killers were the difference makers... but I was merely pointing out that what he might consider 'super fast' without rooting he really doesn't have the comparitive basis to know for sure.
If he stated that his Droid got faster after having the task killers installed, then that's another story, but he clearly stated that his Droid was 'Super Fast' without rooting.... how would he know for certain what Super Fast really is??... that's my point...lmao:icon_eek:

I am making a comparison. but only between my phone NOW and AT BREAKFAST.
not to a root and unroot.
so...

My claim of speed is valid in it's internal comparison.

I'm only claiming that my vzw rep/tecnician showed me how to effectively and efficiently use several tools that increased my phones speed.

you make the same comparison when you root, oc or both.
you compare your phones performance after the action to before.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not everyone wants to root. This is a good thing for the nonrooted crowd. Try it ojut for a week if it is smooth with no glitch or f/c then that will be a good solution for nonrooted droids to gain speed.

dwagner88

Reaction score
Well I will say this much for task killers:
Bugless Beast V 1.1 is the most stable ROM I have ever used. Using it in combination with launcher pro results in a user experience comparable to the iPad. Zero choppiness except for the first 10 seconds following a reboot. Everything is extremely smooth, and I have had no FC's and only one false freeze. (Meaning a FC popped up but after a few seconds the lockup cleared out). Pete has programmed a script into his rom that automatically kills tasks to keep at least 50 mb of RAM free at any given time. Speaking frankly, it just works. I purchased the premium version of ATK when I bought my Droid in December, but I haven't used it since February, and I never feel the need to.

Say what you will about the smart memory management of Android, but the fact is that the phone simply runs more smoothly than it ever has before with Pete's script and the smart programming of launcher pro.

Using the phone stock after experiencing this wonderful combination of BB and launcher pro is actually painful. There is a LOT more lag and a LOT more choppiness. I am overclocked, but only to 800 mhz. If one were to try to convince an iPhone user that Android really is the future, THIS is the combination of software that one should use. You get all of the smoothness and stability of the Apple solution with the customization and flexibility of the Android platform.

Recently I had become green with envy towards my sister, who became the proud new owner of an Incredible, but since I moved to launcher pro and BB 1.0/1.1 (they are comparable in performance) I have an end user experience almost identical to hers, even with the processor running at a lower clock speed (I get better battery life than her to boot!). I had been considering ditching the Droid on ebay for either an Incredible or a Shadow, but now I know that with the help of all of these brilliant developers, I can keep my phone running as smoothly as the newest devices on the market for free!
To the OP:
Yes, my solution requires rooting, but if you know basic computing skills (IE, making backups) then it is very hard to screw up, and you can always undo it for warranty service. The touchscreen on my original device recently went on the fritz. It was selecting things and calling people even when my fingers were not touching the screen. I simply followed the directions available on this website for unrooting my device, and then I went to the store and had them overnight me a "good as new replacement". It actually performs better than my original phone, and I have had no problems with VZW in regards to my rooting the original device, which was replaced. I love this phone more now than I have ever before, and the difference really is that palpable. This phone received numerous positive reviews from the tech blogs/websites when it was first released. If these websites were to review my optimized phone with all of the root-only enhancements, it would compare favorably with the newest generation of smartphones based on the snapdragon platform.

My only wishes at this point are that the speed of the camera is improved, and that Moto had copied the design of the keyboard of my old LG EnV. It was freaking awesome, and the Droid's current keyboard is only adequate.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My intent is to provide non-rooters with an alternative to achieve more speed.
Why does he need a comparitive basis? If he says its flying for a stock droid, power to him... he even sez he doesn't wanna root

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
If all he said was the above, then no problem, but he's talking 'super fast' when he has no idea what 'super fast' is exactly... he should have simply stated that his Droid is now much faster than it was after VZW techs loaded the Task Killers... that's all I'm saying... and I am entitled to voice that opinion am I not?

I am making a comparison. but only between my phone NOW and AT BREAKFAST.
not to a root and unroot.
so...

My claim of speed is valid in it's internal comparison.

I'm only claiming that my vzw rep/tecnician showed me how to effectively and efficiently use several tools that increased my phones speed.

you make the same comparison when you root, oc or both.
you compare your phones performance after the action to before.

Exactly!!... that's all I'm trying to poiunt out, that is what you should have titled your thread... JMHO Bro... and no worries as I didn't mean any ill will with what I've posted... if I offended you, it was not my intent.

:) cheers

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
So the OP has TWO task killers installed on the phone? Sorry, but is that because one doesn't kill a task dead enough? Is there a task that's still squirming?

Sorry, but the addition of a task killer frequently appears to make a difference in a phone's performance for a couple of reasons: (a) the placebo effect and (b) the effect of turning the phone off and on again.

After awhile, however, the phone appears to revert to its earlier behavior, or worse. This is frequently because a task killer can leave garbage data and cache lying around when a task is ended without the opportunity to clean up after itself.

pepsi149

Reaction score
No root.....what....they come here ?
Wow...root that sucker and fly....thats why you get ins....and a hammer

pepsi149

Reaction score
I was under impression that android had a self preservation like effect that it kept itself running fast by freeing memory and killing slow and unused apps ....therefore keeping efficent...

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Our problem- his solution

So the OP has TWO task killers installed on the phone? Sorry, but is that because one doesn't kill a task dead enough? Is there a task that's still squirming?

Sorry, but the addition of a task killer frequently appears to make a difference in a phone's performance for a couple of reasons: (a) the placebo effect and (b) the effect of turning the phone off and on again.

After awhile, however, the phone appears to revert to its earlier behavior, or worse. This is frequently because a task killer can leave garbage data and cache lying around when a task is ended without the opportunity to clean up after itself.

MY OBSERVATION-
What id like to reiterate is that all off this action is "second hand" observation of my wife's ally performance declining over 2 days & being confused about why.
And my utter frustration we went to the store & received an answer.

WHAT HAPPENED INITIALLY-WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM?-
I observed the initial problem in her app scrolling:
on my droid & her phone on Thursday'/Friday- scrolling through apps was a very fluid motion ... No stopping in app tray.

problem 1 (apps)
BY SATURDAY MORNING SHE COULDNT SCROLL AT ALL.

Problem 2 (navigation)
BY SATURDAY MORNING SHE COULDNT NAVIGATE THROUGH HER HOME SCREENS SMOOTHLY.

problem 3 (errors)
SHE KEPT GETTING LOW MEMORY ERRORS DURING REGULAR OPERATIONS LIKE TEXTING OR BROWSING

Solutions FOR US
1. The automatic task killer appears to free up memory by Auto closing non essential apps at screen time out-. (I hadn't even heard of this- and i thought i was a power user)

2. The regular advanced task killer allows access to kill rogue apps that youve taken from the auto kill list.

According to this vzw tech turned sales guy- auto kill is for apps you dont want to close after a time out like texts our emails & maybe gps. Advanced kill is for killing your mains apps when needed.

More memory appears to achieve better phone performance- a fact we all know from computer experience.

Last edited:

zeiroe

Reaction score
SHE KEPT GETTING LOW MEMORY ERRORS DURING REGULAR OPERATIONS LIKE TEXTING OR BROWSING

Sounds to me like she has a lot of ... "stuff" ... on her phone and ran out of space. How many apps does she have installed? :unsure:

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score

Sounds to me like she has a lot of ... "stuff" ... on her phone and ran out of space. How many apps does she have installed? :unsure:

She has had her phone 2 days so only has 30-50 apps.
I've had mine 3 months and have almost 120 apps.

My phone was always smooth but is even smoother now & he fixed her problem completely. Her phone works like it did out of the box.

we left the store smiling.
I'm happy she doesn't regret the transition from her old bb tour that i worked so hard to convince her that bb's compared to android phones are like comparing a 90 year old dude and a 25 year old bodybuilder.

now she's convinced, android phones rock!
Blackberry's belong in museums-
we have handheld laptop phones and all they can say is that they have fast email:
Is it 1985?

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Holy crap that is alot of apps. Are you talking just downloaded or does that include stock apps. I've had mine for around 6 months and the most apps I have ever had installed at one time is around 20.

As far as a task killer I use one. Don't have it set to auto. Don't use a widget. Have apps that need to run on ignore. Only takes two clicks and it is done. Does it make a difference??? Dunno. I have done a comparison and without it it doen't run any faster or get better battery life w/o. So even if it doesn't help, it doesn't hurt.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There has always been those who advocate task killers and those that have not. Android does indeed have a built in method of dealing with apps that were previously used, taking up memory, and along comes the need to run something not in memory yet. It either drops the oldest used item or everyone crowds to the back of the elevator to make room for one more. When no more fit, out goes the old timer.

As for super fast speed, the op isn't comparing superfast to a rooted phone, nor to any other phone for that matter. It might be a placebo effect and it might not, but for now it puts a smile on his face.

If the speed difference is only slightly it still is better than otherwise. A true test though would involve getting a hold of a second phone. Heading back down to the Verizon store, during a slow time, would probably result in them letting someone play with the store model. That would let the store phone vs personal phone go head to head in a speed comparison test. I never did such a test, did used to use a task killer, now I don't. If it really works then it would work for rooted phones as well as stock.

lol @ jsh1120 - I think the secret ingredient is the second app. Kill the app, then kick it when its down:)

Meanwhile, thanks to CBLJazz for posting something folks can try. If it doesn't work for you, uninstall the 2 apps. If it does, bonus for you! It's not like you really wanted to mow the lawn today anyways is it?

Just counted - 36 rows of icons in my app drawer. I've got 2 battery widgets I'm testing at the moment that don't show up there, slideshow widget, and other widgets too. Droid Does :)

OP
CBLJazz

CBLJazz

Reaction score
i think i realize most from this that the ALLY is a different phone even though it's android. I see my apparent droid speed increase as an added bonus.

I thought the ally and droid were brother and sister and i'm thinking now that they are cousins maybe very distant ones too.

armeddroid

Reaction score
I use task killers. Sorry guys, but the android OS, IMO, does handle excessive apps well but not well enough.

It might just be 2.1 but in my exp, Task killers are necessary. I have tried to monitor how my apps are being managed as I use the phone. And I notice that when I 'exit' an app, its still there. Not all apps have this behavior but there are many that still stay initiated.
I mean on a pc, task managers are used to kill hanging processes that might cause your system to stall a little bit, but that's only if your application is the cause of that issue. if you exit a program and check the task manager, its gone.
The Android OS is supposed to be the same way to a certain degree but its not managing it well.. so.. I use a TK, problem solved.

I have a lot of apps like the OP.. I have different fields I work in and using widgets helps me keep track of them. The Android OS handles the memory well, but its not that intuitive. So.. it does lag after a while, and employing a task killer helps me move more quicker to get certain apps to come up, makes searching the market faster, etc etc.
I personally don't agree being against it, I am for task killers..

But to each and to his own.
This was my exp only, if someone has a solution that legitimately works without having to ROOT, I'm down to try, if not, then I'm not trying to hear all that.

Lol but that's what makes this forum bad ass

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk