How do you get by without a task killer?

cpinto

Reaction score
I see a lot of people are pretty adament about the evils of task killers. I understand that Android will monitor apps and kill them automatically as needed, and background tasks that aren't doing anything really aren't using any resources, but killing tasks helps, period. How do I get by without it?

1) Backgroud tasks aren't using zero resources. They aren't using much, but they are sitting in memory and occasionally stealing a CPU clock.

2) Maps and browser just won't go away. How do you stop them? My battery was dead Sunday morning because I'd left Maps running (but not open) and it was polling my GPS all night.

3) My phone runs slow as hell when I first start it. First thing I do is kill 15 tasks and it's great. Again, I know background tasks aren't using many resources, but I don't want GTalk using ever, period. But there it is, along with Maps, Market and a dozen others, running automatically when I boot.

I use "Close everything 2"

Seems to work perfectly. I exclude things that need to run. Just tap the icon, to manually close everything else.

The auto killers seem to make my Droid act strange.

Silver Member
Reaction score
if you REALLY feel like you need to end an app, Manage Applications handles this. create a shortcut so you don't have to click 7 times to get there and it will take you right to the list. you can force stop apps from there.

OP
Q

qoncept

I just tried uninstalling Advanced Task Manager and a couple widgets, and deleted a couple of the apps I don't use that were running on boot. It's quite a bit faster than it was before after a fresh boot, but still not quite as fast as after I'd killed tasks.

What's really irking me right now: The following services are running
GTalkService - I have GTalk set to not auto log in, and I NEVER WANT TO USE IT.
Google Voice CallLogService and UpdateService - I have Voice set to NEVER check for updates and I only want to use it when I receive an SMS saying I have a VM. I don't want it running services.

Beyond that, there really isn't much running now that doesn't make sense.

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^ why do those two services bother you so much?? you'll never see them on the resource tree (battery usage).

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I just never use them and have not had a single issue

I have let Android manage itself for months now and have yet to have any battery or performance issues. As an FYI I reboot about once a month and whatever starts simply stays.

I do turn off the obvious GPS and wifi but other than that I let it go.

Your maps should not be polling when not in use. Off a fresh boot and without using maps its still showing it using up clock cycles/CPU?

Well one thing I noticed task manager does, and Im sure their is another way to do this, but when you have notifications in your tray, like messages, they stay their even after you read themnot email.. ut it cleans up your system tray.

Sodner

Reaction score
I had one installed for a few months. Removed it a few weeks ago and and have zero problems without it. My conclusion, their not needed.

OP
Q

qoncept

^^^ why do those two services bother you so much?? you'll never see them on the resource tree (battery usage).
Because it's still not running as fast as when I killed tasks, but all the other runing tasks make sense. These ones don't, so it makes the most sense (to me) to deal with them first.

kaboyd

Reaction score
The saleswoman at Verizon installed ATK for me while she setup my phone. I used it for a month or so until I read a dozen threads about how Android manages the apps. When I removed the task killer transitions between apps was incredibly faster. The end result is MY phone runs better without a task killer.

papy72

Reaction score
The saleswoman at Verizon installed ATK for me while she setup my phone.
I've seen a comment similar to this a few times now. Why oh why do sales people take these kinds of liberties with the phones?

mjs31

Reaction score
I used one for the longest time, but have not used one in the past month. If anything, I get more battery life. I have not noticed any issues with not using it but I also turned off google location tracking. I know Dolphin may have had an issue with this (I use Xscope anyway), but I really never had a need for it.

jimnutt

Reaction score
The saleswoman at Verizon installed ATK for me while she setup my phone.
I've seen a comment similar to this a few times now. Why oh why do sales people take these kinds of liberties with the phones?

That's a good question papy. I was kinda pissed after I realized that thing was slowing down my phone.

The real question is, why let a Verizon sales person even touch your phone other than to dial *228,1?

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^ because when you buy the phone, they feel obligated to get you up and running, which means adding your gmail account, etc.

kaboyd

Reaction score
^^ because when you buy the phone, they feel obligated to get you up and running, which means adding your gmail account, etc.

Yep. I'm glad they help new customers get their accounts entered and the phone running before you leave the store. They are just trying to help.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got my phone for christmas so I had to set it up without a salesperson. I figured out how to type in my gmail address all by myself.