Task killers aren't necessary? I highly disagree.

jrl9851

Reaction score
Sure, they aren't necessary to close a ton of programs, which will just slow down the phone, but I feel they are very necessary for battery life. Example:

I decided to stop using ATK for one day, today. At 1pm my battery was at 50% which is usually what it's around when I use ATK. 30 minutes later (1:30), it was at 10%. I couldn't figure out what was going on because I didn't use it AT ALL in those 30 minutes. The last thing I did was check my facebook.

Well, I found out that the facebook app was constantly trying to refresh my notifications, even after I closed the app. For some reason it got stuck on refreshing and wouldn't stop. Then I remembered why I use ATK. Because it stops crap like this.

I recommend using a task killer for apps like facebook and the browser. I usually kill both of these after I'm done using them. I don't kill any other apps that always reopen, like alarm clock, calendar, etc. I strictly use the task killer to kill apps like facebook, browser, games, etc. after I'm done using them. In my case today, using the task killer would have saved the battery.

stanrc

Reaction score
I don't use any task killer apps and I've never had an issue with facebook doing that.

rusray

Reaction score
the ONLY similar problem I've had like this is gps trying to lock on after I closed my browser. This happened maybe two times total. Although isn't a good solution to this to turn off sync, or are the notifications unrelated to that?

At any rate, I haven't used ATK since the first week I received my droid, and I always make it through a day with moderate usage!

mrdroid

Reaction score
1 app required me to have a task killer and that is the stupid browser. I hate that there is no way to cleanly exit the browser. I wish I could somehow just close the browser and have it completely close.

darreno1

Reaction score
I don't use task killers and hardly ever have issues like these.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
"...I decided to stop using ATK for one day, today. At 1pm my battery was at 50% which is usually what it's around when I use ATK. 30 minutes later (1:30), it was at 10%. I couldn't figure out what was going on because I didn't use it AT ALL in those 30 minutes. The last thing I did was check my facebook..."

My guess is that you probably killed your battery monitor and when it started again it showed an inaccurate estimate of remaining battery power. There is simply no way that any application, even navigation, can use 40% of your battery in 30 minutes.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I had Beautiful widgets kills half my battery today in about an hour due to searching for gps signal. In fact, rebooting didn't help. Ended up removing it for now.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
1 app required me to have a task killer and that is the stupid browser. I hate that there is no way to cleanly exit the browser. I wish I could somehow just close the browser and have it completely close.

Try another browser.

I actually really like the stock browser except for the not being able to close it

If you're not using your browser the fact that it's in memory doesn't mean it is "running." Think of your memory as a room with a bunch of apps sitting around in chairs. There is a limited number of chairs in the room. If all the chairs are occupied someone has to leave before someone else can come sit down. But until you reach that point, additional apps can come into the room and do their business. Most will then take a seat and remain quiet until the O/S tells them to leave.

Some apps have periodic business to conduct so they'll be ready for you the next time you need them. In the case of the stock browser the little "near me now" line on the Google search page tries to determine periodically where you are. If GPS is enabled, it uses it to do that. You can turn off GPS and it will just sit there quietly unless you fill up memory with lots of other apps.

If you like the stock browser, switch your home page to about:blank or to a web page that doesn't utilize GPS. Or use another browser. The stock browser is the only one that utilizes the "near me now" functionality on the Google search page.

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
hoving a task killer is like watching pr0n on your computer it slows down your phone, and makes you service slow.

i dont atch pr0n i dont use task killers im clean

drummerq

Reaction score
I use a program called system panal.

It works perfectly for killing apps.

This is my theory on the App killing. Most apps use <1% of battery when in the backround. However i dont really want a game or an app that i only use once a day or not even to be riunning. I have a very large list of Excluded apps (the ones i use every day) and whenvever I think my phone is getting slow or if i relize i just oppened alot of procceses then thats when i'll kil apps. Not all just the non excluded. which are the non essential apps. Therefor leaving messaging and screebl and others still on

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use a program called system panal.

It works perfectly for killing apps.

This is my theory on the App killing. Most apps use <1% of battery when in the backround. However i dont really want a game or an app that i only use once a day or not even to be riunning. I have a very large list of Excluded apps (the ones i use every day) and whenvever I think my phone is getting slow or if i relize i just oppened alot of procceses then thats when i'll kil apps. Not all just the non excluded. which are the non essential apps. Therefor leaving messaging and screebl and others still on

If it makes you feel better, go for it. Just recognize that at the very best you'll sacrifice load time performance when you need an app again. The best you can hope for is to come out even over time. But again, if it makes you feel good, go for it.

Tabs

Reaction score
I had Beautiful widgets kills half my battery today in about an hour due to searching for gps signal. In fact, rebooting didn't help. Ended up removing it for now.

I'm almost positive BW does not use GPS - I have never seen it use it on mine and I've had it since the beginning.

I use no Task Killers and my battery life is great. If you need to kill a program, make a shortcut to Settings/Manage Applications, filter it to running apps and then select the one you want and hit Force Close.

crspang

Reaction score
I use ATK but like the OP says only to kill a few rogue apps. I also use dolphin browser for two reasons:
1. I'm used to it
2. Press and hold back button gives you a clear cache and exit option.

Just my .02