Task killers aren't necessary? I highly disagree.

xliderider

Reaction score
I'm using Juice Defender now to shutdown APN data to just 1 minute every 15 minutes. Since I don't live and die by the email I receive or don't receive instantly, I'm taking the battery saving benefits. It doesn't affect SMS text message receipts at all.

JCo352

Reaction score
I had Beautiful widgets kills half my battery today in about an hour due to searching for gps signal. In fact, rebooting didn't help. Ended up removing it for now.

I'm almost positive BW does not use GPS - I have never seen it use it on mine and I've had it since the beginning.

I use no Task Killers and my battery life is great. If you need to kill a program, make a shortcut to Settings/Manage Applications, filter it to running apps and then select the one you want and hit Force Close.

Yea thats ways easier than just having a task killer.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i prefer xscope it has a task killer to kill apps if needed.

mrdroid

Reaction score
Try another browser.

I actually really like the stock browser except for the not being able to close it

If you're not using your browser the fact that it's in memory doesn't mean it is "running." Think of your memory as a room with a bunch of apps sitting around in chairs. There is a limited number of chairs in the room. If all the chairs are occupied someone has to leave before someone else can come sit down. But until you reach that point, additional apps can come into the room and do their business. Most will then take a seat and remain quiet until the O/S tells them to leave.

Some apps have periodic business to conduct so they'll be ready for you the next time you need them. In the case of the stock browser the little "near me now" line on the Google search page tries to determine periodically where you are. If GPS is enabled, it uses it to do that. You can turn off GPS and it will just sit there quietly unless you fill up memory with lots of other apps.

If you like the stock browser, switch your home page to about:blank or to a web page that doesn't utilize GPS. Or use another browser. The stock browser is the only one that utilizes the "near me now" functionality on the Google search page.

It's not the memory that bothers me. It's the fact that I want to be able to close the browser as if I were in windows and I hit the X. The next time I open the browser I don't want it opening where I left it. That's extremely annoying for me. The only way I can exit the browser is by hitting home which leaves the session as is. I can use the back button but if I've been browsing for a while I have to go back through a couple hundred pages before it closes. It's a little ridiculous.

I use ATK but like the OP says only to kill a few rogue apps. I also use dolphin browser for two reasons:
1. I'm used to it
2. Press and hold back button gives you a clear cache and exit option.

Just my .02

If someone can incorporate this functionality into the stock browser I would love that person forever. And donate heavily to their paypal.

gatorbait

Reaction score
It's not the memory that bothers me. It's the fact that I want to be able to close the browser as if I were in windows and I hit the X. The next time I open the browser I don't want it opening where I left it. That's extremely annoying for me. The only way I can exit the browser is by hitting home which leaves the session as is. I can use the back button but if I've been browsing for a while I have to go back through a couple hundred pages before it closes. It's a little ridiculous.

Menu button -> Windows -> Press the X next to your open tabs.
Also, holding down the back button will give you a list of your browsing history.

It's not the same as exiting out of your browser completely, but hopefully those two little tricks will help you out if you didn't already know about them.

Reaction score
Op speaks the truth. I ran fb on dolphin.. and it kept on refreshing and refreshing after I closed the browser.. Battery life went to half in less than 2 hours. ATK kills the apps in a swipe and a touch.

mrdroid

Reaction score

Menu button -> Windows -> Press the X next to your open tabs.
Also, holding down the back button will give you a list of your browsing history.

It's not the same as exiting out of your browser completely, but hopefully those two little tricks will help you out if you didn't already know about them.

Aha! Thank you. It's not perfect but Windows > X makes this browse MUCH more functional for me.

Holding down the back button just scrolls through all my history as if I'm just hitting back over and over.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I use ATK but like the OP says only to kill a few rogue apps. I also use dolphin browser for two reasons:
1. I'm used to it
2. Press and hold back button gives you a clear cache and exit option.

Just my .02

If someone can incorporate this functionality into the stock browser I would love that person forever. And donate heavily to their paypal.[/QUOTE

If you don't like Dolphin, try xScope. It, too, enables you to clear your cache by long pressing the back button to exit.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It doesn't affect SMS text message receipts at all.
It probably would affect anyone relying on the GV app for SMS though.

Task killers aren't necessary?
The fine print has always been "if you have apps that are behaving properly". The meme was spread due to the tendency of OCD n00bs to mis/overuse them, causing themselves more heartaches in the process.

Last edited:

iPirate

Reaction score
I've never used a task killer and I have never had my battery drain unusually.