Stuck on 1X? How to get 3G back

AZ_Thunderbolt

Reaction score
Yes, do NOT do a *228 on a 4G device. It will corrupt the SIM card and make it completely useless until you go to VZ and get a new card.

gsdreams

Reaction score
If have a tb you can't do *228 that does not work on any 4G phone

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Verizon blocked 228 for 4G devices to prevent that. So you can't use 228 on a 4G phone and screw it up.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

NID

Reaction score
Got your GPS on....? And the proper one? I have no problems making calls, getting proper weather....just is doing it a LOT slower right now till this outage is back up....
And where exactly is NYS anyway ....¿ lol NYC ...?

Hummmm..... just tried *228..... cant do that either ...?¿?¿

AZ_Thunderbolt

Reaction score
If have a tb you can't do *228 that does not work on any 4G phone

Verizon blocked 228 for 4G devices to prevent that. So you can't use 228 on a 4G phone and screw it up.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Unforunately it IS possible. I had to learn that first hand the hard way. :icon_evil: My 3G has worked great all day since doing the originally posted work around. Even works while on the phone which surprised me!

NID

Reaction score
oh you cant? Thought that was for ALL phones....? Many thnx !! guess Im ok other than being stuck on 1X .....

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
WOW!! I'm due for a upgrade and I *almost* got a Thunderbolt last night. Maybe this was a sign not to.....

I'd be so pissed to get the phone and not have it work the next day.......

DroidStang

Reaction score
If on a cdma network from my experience, you would use, but like at&t uses gsm or edge, they also don't use 228

krandle41709

Reaction score
This is vzw FIRST 4G phone... There will be little hickups and network issues you will all be fine. I have been using wi fi at home today and yeah miss the 4G speed but they will have it back up..... Patience is a virtue

from the thunderbolt

NID

Reaction score
Well if you DO get one..... I would STRONGLY recommend you get the extra life battery !!!
Im still learning all the little tweaks that NEED to be done! Even with the longer life battery..... with a couple calls..... viewing a few emails and a couple handfuls of texts......my battery is dead! NEVER had a battery last so ..........little?

Googleaddict

Reaction score
Guys, are any of you having problems making calls?

On my thunderbolt, when I hit the Phone button to make a call on the dialpad, the Call button in the middle, that is usually green, is grayed out and is not responsive. I tap on it, beat on it...but it's grayed out and I'm stuck unable to dial out.

Are you experiencing this too, and if so, how do we get it back working?

I've been experiencing random occasional complete loss of network service, not just the 3G but the 1X also. I have on multiple occasions today gotten error messages when trying to make calls and text. I seem to be one of the few on the forum so far to experience this. I'm in the Denver metro area and normally have 3 or 4G everywhere I go. My problems started around 7:30 this morning MST. I have not seen the specific problem you complain of (grayed out call button) but have instead just had my phone freezing when I try to make or receive a call and then either revert to the home screen or give me an error message on the screen.

Damn I'm in Denver also. My Thunderbolt comes in the mail tomorrow. I hope I can activate it

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cholulagirl

Reaction score
Guys, are any of you having problems making calls?

On my thunderbolt, when I hit the Phone button to make a call on the dialpad, the Call button in the middle, that is usually green, is grayed out and is not responsive. I tap on it, beat on it...but it's grayed out and I'm stuck unable to dial out.

Are you experiencing this too, and if so, how do we get it back working?

I've been experiencing random occasional complete loss of network service, not just the 3G but the 1X also. I have on multiple occasions today gotten error messages when trying to make calls and text. I seem to be one of the few on the forum so far to experience this. I'm in the Denver metro area and normally have 3 or 4G everywhere I go. My problems started around 7:30 this morning MST. I have not seen the specific problem you complain of (grayed out call button) but have instead just had my phone freezing when I try to make or receive a call and then either revert to the home screen or give me an error message on the screen.

Damn I'm in Denver also. My Thunderbolt comes in the mail tomorrow. I hope I can activate it

To clarify, once I tried the fix listed at the beginning of the thread, my phone has been fine. I did that late this afternoon and have been on 3G since that time...however, until I did the fix I just wanted to make clear, I was getting actual service/network outages, not just a 3G/4G unavailability, slow connection, or lack of data connection.

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
That's what the rep told me yesterday was the downside of the phone....the battery life.

Googleaddict

Reaction score

To clarify, once I tried the fix listed at the beginning of the thread, my phone has been fine. I did that late this afternoon and have been on 3G since that time...however, until I did the fix I just wanted to make clear, I was getting actual service/network outages, not just a 3G/4G unavailability, slow connection, or lack of data connection.
Alright. How are speeds on 4G in Denver?