Stuck on 1X? How to get 3G back

wakestrong

Reaction score
LTE is back online, please follow steps at the bottom of this post to get everything back in order.
*If you are in a 4G area it is advisable to make sure you switch to eHRPD to avoid bad hand offs between 4G and 3G as well as allowing simultaneous voice without hiccups. I noticed my GPS was not working last night so it is possible eHRPD settings will affect your gps or it could have just been due to the network issues.

As most are aware both the LTE network and eHPRD are down (a special version of 3G for the Thunderbolt only). To get 3G data back you just need to change your settings back to the normal 3G network. Here are the steps:

Dial ##778# and hit send

A pop-up window named EPST will show up giving you 2 choices: View Mode and Edit Mode. Pick: Edit Mode.
Enter the Password: 000000
Go down to Modem Settings and pick “Rev A“
You’ll want to choose enable and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”
Restart your phone and you should see 3G is working

last step (may not be required if you get 3G after restart)

dial *#*#4636#*#* go to phone info, then set preferred network type to CDMA auto (PRL) ---will stop phone from looking for LTE signal

I hope this helps anyone that is left in the dark by this outage.

If you are running a non-stock dialer or a rom that included a dialer it may prevent you from entering settings. Flash this zip to go back to stock dialer
http://www.mediafire.com/?9yf09ri4t2mip4z

For those that want instructions for after LTE is back on

These 2 steps will put you back on LTE and then put you back on the correct 3G for the Thunderbolt, when its back up.

dial *#*#4636#*#* to get LTE, go to phone info, set preferred network type to CDMA + LTE EvDo auto

Dial ##778# and hit send
A pop-up window named EPST will show up giving you 2 choices: View Mode and Edit Mode. Pick: Edit Mode.
You’ll want to choose eHRPD and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Or you can just wait it out......

DreamOperator

Reaction score
Seriously? I just rooted and flashed my roomies TB to Liquid and have been FREAKING OUT because I thought I screwed up his phone.

I feel better now. Thanks.

OP
W

wakestrong

Reaction score
Seriously? I just rooted and flashed my roomies TB to Liquid and have been FREAKING OUT because I thought I screwed up his phone.

I feel better now. Thanks.

I posted this on a few forums and some other people that were flashing roms or kernels were thinking the same thing. Glad I could help.

jaybuc

Reaction score
Yeap...stuck on 1x here in Tampa, I was freakin out as well

OP
W

wakestrong

Reaction score
Is anyone running the lightning rom and able to access EPST menu or ##778#?

dustinyv

Reaction score
how do you undo the change

HHow do I undo the change when 4G is back up
As most are aware both the LTE network and eHPRD are down (a special version of 3G for the Thunderbolt only). To get 3G data back you just need to change your settings back to the normal 3G network. Here are the steps:

Dial ##778# and hit send
You’ll want to choose enable and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”
Restart your phone and you should see 3G is working

Optional- to get it to stop looking for LTE, dial *#*#4636#*#* then set to CDMA auto (PRL)

I hope this helps anyone that is left in the dark by this outage.

OP
W

wakestrong

Reaction score
HHow do I undo the change when 4G is back up

dial *#*#4636#*#* to get LTE, set preferred network type to CDMA + LTE EvDo auto

Dial ##778# and hit send
You’ll want to choose eHRPD and click OK, hit the menu button and then press “Commit Modifications.”

These 2 steps will put you back on LTE and then put you back on the correct 3G for the Thunderbolt, when its back up.

bernardino5

Reaction score
Thought it was just mine, hopefully it'll get resolved pretty quick we need to flood Verizon with phone calls.

"ThuNd3rB0lT"

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Full LTE here in Cleveland. Where are you guys having issues?

DroidStang

Reaction score
See this post from another thread...this is not me, I am in NC, have same issue this guy in TX

Junior Droid

Member #88403
Phone: motorola droid
View djmwilliams1's Gallery

Where or where did my LTE go!!
Rebooted my phone at 5am as I prepared to go to work, as I reboot every morning. You all should be rebooting your Android phones once a day folks, they work much better that way. Anyway, and I notices that I way on a 1x signal. After rebooting twice with no change, I called Verizon to find out that 4G LTE is down nation wide. He said they are having a problem with the 4G and it could be affecting 3g as well. I'm in Houston, and I tell you that 3g is affected. 1x , I can get out of my car and walk faster than 1x. COME ON VERIZON, GET IT FIXED!!! This is going to be a long day. The Verizon guy said it might be a good day to get closer to your coworkers. I don't think so!

Josecq

Reaction score
Houston Tx We have a problem!!!!, Verizon 4G and 3g down....The swap app (phone info) is not responding to changes. Have to keep it on CDMA + LTE/EvDo Auto just to get stinking 1X.....This is so frustrating.....:icon_evil:

I guess just wait it out....