3G Problems with the Thunderbolt... But Easily Fixed

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-thunderbolt-verizon-3.jpg

If you are one of the lucky folks that recently got the new TBolt, but also a bit unlucky because you are experiencing 3G problems, then this article will be very beneficial to you. Apparently, many folks are experiencing problems getting 3G data when they are in a non-4G area. Go figure... At any rate, a sharp individual named landle, at Android Central, explains that Thunderbolt uses the eHPRD 3G network to speed the handoff between 3G and 4G data, but it has some issues right now. There is a fix though and it is detailed below.
  • Go to the ThunderBolt's phone dialer. Enter ##778# and hit Send.
  • You'll get a pop-up labeled EPST, with the choice to "View Mode" or "Edit Mode." You want "Edit Mode."
  • You'll be asked for a password. It's 000000.
  • Now flip down to "Modem Settings," and then choose "Rev. A."
  • Change the setting from eHRPD to "Enable," hit OK, then press the Menu button on the phone and tap "Commit Modifications."
After that the phone will reboot and your issues will be resolved. The article also points out that once Verizon gets their network reorganized, you will want to change this setting back, but in the meantime, go enjoy your newly improved speeds!

Source: AndroidCentral

dafischman

Reaction score

RLI3

Reaction score
Could someone please explain how this is different from this? Thanks!

Tip: Force HTC Thunderbolt to Use 3G Only, Turn Off 4G - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Ummmm, the one you posted shuts off the 4G radio, the OP doesn't shut off 4G, just changes the configuration for the 3G portion so it is more reliable until Verizon fixes the network issues.

Josh

BTW: That's my interpretation, someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, so they are independent of one another? In other words, I can do one or the other or both. I just don't want to screw up my phone. Thanks.

dafischman

Reaction score
Could someone please explain how this is different from this? Thanks!

Tip: Force HTC Thunderbolt to Use 3G Only, Turn Off 4G - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Ummmm, the one you posted shuts off the 4G radio, the OP doesn't shut off 4G, just changes the configuration for the 3G portion so it is more reliable until Verizon fixes the network issues.

Josh

BTW: That's my interpretation, someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay, so they are independent of one another? In other words, I can do one or the other or both. I just don't want to screw up my phone. Thanks.

I'm not an expert, but I don't see anything wrong with doing either or both. Worst case scenario, you go back in and set them back to their default settings. If you do the one you posted, you won't have any 4G service until you set it back. If you do the one posted in this thread, you will be changing settings in the 3G service which may or may not help you if you're not transitioning from 4G to 3G as you move around.

Once again, I'll defer to anyone with more knowledge, but I wouldn't be concerned about changing these settings, I don't see anyway to screw up your phone to where you couldn't set the settings back.

Josh

RLI3

Reaction score
Okay. That makes sense. I just wasn't sure. Thanks!

champaned_out

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with *#*#4636#*#*
I believe what this does is make the switch from the 3 to 4G radio and vice versa faster

him

Reaction score
So if I travel to a 4g area do I have to undo this to get the 4g?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does this effect the ability to use data while on a voice call?? I generally keep my 4G turned off because of the ridiculous battery drain when in fringe coverage but I've gotten use to being able to use data while on a call. I have noticed though that in 'sparse' 3G coverage the 3G radio is not very stable.

marcmsj

Reaction score
My boss was having this trouble, here at work he has 4g but at home, he could make calls but internet wouldn't work at all since it wouldn't switch over to 3g since he doesn't have 4g there. fixed now after doing this, thanks!

fishfood

Reaction score
In a nutshell, the ##778## allows you to switch the way the phone accesses the 3G network. It will put you on the EVDO-Rev A, which is the 3G access that NON Thunderbolt (Non LTE capable) phones use. It is more reliable at the moment. It does NOT, in my experience, keep you from accessing both data and voice at the same time. I tested it and it doesn't seem to affect that at all. It ALSO doesn't keep you from being able to access 4G in a 4G-capable area. However, it MAY affect the ability of your phone to handoff from 3G to 4G as efficiently(i.e. it may take a little longer to switch, causing delays in mobile data transfer.)

If anyone more knowledgeable has more details on HOW this actually works, that would be awesome. This is simply info I've gathered from my own trials and tribulations!