stock froyo, ruby, or UD?

JustinMakaila

Reaction score
Like most dinc users on this forum, i was all sorts of stoked when i heard the 2.2 rollout was finally happening. i downgraded my phone and everything, thing is, i'm still waiting. i'm also starting to wonder, is the stock 2.2 froyo even worth it? i miss having the root features on my phone, and all these awesome ROMs are coming out, or may already be out, and i'm still waiting for my OTA update. I know Ruby's looking at a release sometime next week i believe, and ultimate droid for the dinc is out... stock froyo vs. ruby and UD. will it top either of them?

hookerdj

Reaction score
just a hint if your kinda a newb nuttin tops ultimatedroid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol all roms offer different things what may be perfect for one may suck for another im sure the sapphire willl be sweet

Like most dinc users on this forum, i was all sorts of stoked when i heard the 2.2 rollout was finally happening. i downgraded my phone and everything, thing is, i'm still waiting. i'm also starting to wonder, is the stock 2.2 froyo even worth it? i miss having the root features on my phone, and all these awesome ROMs are coming out, or may already be out, and i'm still waiting for my OTA update. I know Ruby's looking at a release sometime next week i believe, and ultimate droid for the dinc is out... stock froyo vs. ruby and UD. will it top either of them?

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
just a hint if your kinda a newb nuttin tops ultimatedroid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol all roms offer different things what may be perfect for one may suck for another im sure the sapphire willl be sweet

I would say cm6 or ruby top ud.

raskolnik

Reaction score
HTC's 2.2 sucks

Stock Froyo on the Incredible is horrible, it's definitely not worth it. Performance is worse, added bloatware (Skype Mobile and VZ Navigator...the latter is a turn-by-turn navigation app that you have to pay $10/month to use!). I'm having to constantly kill programs (not just VZ's junk) that run themselves for no reason. Laggy keyboard, music player sucks now (randomly stutters about once per song), etc., etc.

I'm waiting desperately for when 2.2 gets rooted so I can get rid of this garbage. So if you don't have it yet, stay away!

I can't say much about the customs, since I obviously can't install them without being able to root the phone :/.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can downgrade from the ota and then root.

raskolnik

Reaction score

Any idea how? There's a video on youtube (along with a link to what is supposedly a 2.1 ROM), but it doesn't work. The phone says that the earlier ROM is invalid.

techmouse

Reaction score

Any idea how? There's a video on youtube (along with a link to what is supposedly a 2.1 ROM), but it doesn't work. The phone says that the earlier ROM is invalid.

You could try running the unrevoked forever. If it goes through it will let you flash back to the 2.1. The reason it does not work is because the radio file on your phone is newer than what is in the zip file. Using unrevoked forever turns of the signatures checking feature thus letting you flash the downgrade with out having to adb into the phone and having to manual replacing the radio files.

raskolnik

Reaction score

You could try running the unrevoked forever. If it goes through it will let you flash back to the 2.1. The reason it does not work is because the radio file on your phone is newer than what is in the zip file. Using unrevoked forever turns of the signatures checking feature thus letting you flash the downgrade with out having to adb into the phone and having to manual replacing the radio files.

Unfortunately not. According to the installation instructions for unrevoked forever, the phone has to be rooted before you can install it. So, we still have to wait until unrevoked supports 2.2.

dadajack

Reaction score
Just google keywords "downgrade incredible 2.2 adb push". You will get to a link for this page:

[GUIDE] How to downgrade from OTA RUU 2.2 to 2.1 - xda-developers

Follow the directions closely and you should be rocking 2.1 in no time. I did it myself after taking the update before running unrevoked-forever. I don't like the whole command line method of upgrading, or manipulating my phone, but then again, I was not born with a keyboard in my mouth either. :)

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
If you are completely new to rooting, I would recommend Skyraider 2.5.2 first and then dip into deeper ROM's. Skyraider is extremely solid and will give you the chance to play around. As you get more experience, start working with the deeper ROM's that are listed above. I'm not much for recommending jumping in over your head straight off the bat.

alitke

Reaction score
I tried SkyRaider first and noticed some bad battery life so I switched over to UD 8.0 to find some inconsistencies in the build that made it not really worth it. Had sapphire on my Droid 1 so I installed the new "Ruby" on my incredible and I am loving it. Really good battery life especially if you bump charge it. It is a brand new ROM so a lot of customizations are not out yet but its great none the less.

no idea on CM6 as I heard the battery life was not the best.

Shiodooru

Reaction score
I am really enjoying Ruby on my Droid Inc, everything runs smoothly and to top it of the people behind it are nice enough to answer my questions even when my stupidity kicks in.

Denvertoad

Reaction score
If you are completely new to rooting, I would recommend Skyraider 2.5.2 first and then dip into deeper ROM's. Skyraider is extremely solid and will give you the chance to play around.

+1

Rock solid advice. I'm running SR2.5.2 also and love it.

wingdo

Reaction score
stock froyo vs. ruby and UD. will it top either of them?

I've played a bit with Ruby and it's a nice ROM. Since I run Sapphire I'm a bit biased. ;) You can install any Sapphire 1.1.1 theme on Ruby 1.1.1 so you've got some themes to play with.

dbu

Reaction score
I am running Virtuous 3.0.1 with Rosie removed and I could not be any happier right now. Aces all the way.