Updated today

beesy

Reaction score
Well I don't at this time want to install the RUU. I will install the ota update and then later when they root that one I will install that........ until android 3.0 comes out.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
So if the updates are not released based on location then are they based on activation dates. I have not seen anything that clearly spells out beyond us guessing. If this is all guessing then couldn't we give out general info of date activation, region to pick out possible strategies that VZ might be using? And yes I have no life and Yes I am bored and Yes I still don't have it Yet !@##@@ ;)

I doubt activation dates, because I got mine the day before the incredible was released due to my preordering. Still no OTA:p

markymark

Reaction score
VZ CSR's know nothing, of course thats mostly because the executives dont tell them crap.
I got tired of waiting and updated my Incredible via the RUU. The install was flawless and i have not had 1 issue with it so far.

So what did you use to restore all your apps after the RUU?

Axel

Reaction score
Okay I have few, what I believe to be intelligent, questions. Since the Android system is based on an existing computer language what keeps us from being able to update our phones through a website or official app? Also is it because the update is being sent through the air and not the more relaible digital or online signal that it seems to be hit and miss?

What keeps us from updating through a website is that Verizon/HTC hasn't provided one. Updates aren't hit-or-miss, they're selecting a set number phones each day, probably at random, and letting them download it. That spreads out the strain on their servers from downloading, allows them to react to any problems that might come up before *everyone* gets it, and also allows their customer support to deal with any questions or complications from users getting the update in waves instead of all at once.

The OTA update isn't unreliable, in fact since these are all *phones* it's the easiest way to get it to consumers, unless you're roaming it just automatically pops up without any need to go out of one's way to download or install anything. They probably could have a manual update on their site, but may have just chosen not to so that they can have better control on how it's rolled out, or just to avoid making the process more complicated by having a second delivery method.

In other words, it will come when it will come. And they don't have an alternative method, because they don't. Any talk of location, manufacture date, activation date, or whatever else is just speculation and guesswork.

And, as a programmer, I really have no idea what being "based on an existing computer language" has to do with anything. Unless someone decides to invent a new language completely from scratch just specifically for a project, which is extremely rare, everything is.

mycuzinvinny

Reaction score
new orders for incredible = no froyo 2.2

Upgraded my old verizon flip phone to the incredible on Thur 8/26 when the Verizon website showed 2.2 on the specs. It came in today. Not a surprise that it only had 2.1 on it. So, those who order the phone on the web through their verizon account don't be shocked when your phone arrives with 2.1. I guess they must have an inventory of the phones with 2.1 and will keep selling them until a batch of 2.2 phones comes in to replenish inventory. I'll be waiting like everyone else to get their update.

It is misleading in a way to sell something that doesn't come as listed. It was a matter of principle that got lost in my discussion with verizon support tonight. :icon_evil:

I still love the phone, though. Can't wait to get 2.2. :)

RyanPm40

Reaction score
VZ CSR's know nothing, of course thats mostly because the executives dont tell them crap.
I got tired of waiting and updated my Incredible via the RUU. The install was flawless and i have not had 1 issue with it so far.

So what did you use to restore all your apps after the RUU?

Get Astro

Hit Menu

Tools

Application Manager/Backup

Under the Installed Apps tab, click the check box on the top right to select all of your apps

Hit Backup on the top left

???

Profit

... Then just reinstall astro after, go back to the Application Manager, and restore your backups :D

markymark

Reaction score
One more question...does Astro restore all the settings too? Like email settings etc. or did you have to set up again? Thanks.

rsgolfhard

Reaction score
My wife and I both got the update this morning. I am not in cleveland but am close in Michigan :)

Reaction score
Got my update last night around 1 a.m. I had to click check for system updates though to download it but now I'm happy as a clam :)

joese

Reaction score
Installed it manually from androidcentral

Went easy, flawlessly and now i back on exchange 2010!!! Which is all ive been waiting for ... for weeks!!!!

GimpyPilot

Reaction score
Got the OTA update last night - took about 20 minutes or so.

Browser seemed a little wonky (non-cached pages load slower than before) but flash video supported and looks great.

This AM the battery life is unimproved (3.5 hours unplugged with 20 minutes of maps with GPS and standard music player on drive in to office, no calls, mild surfing, half a dozen e-mails, and I Heart Radio app for one hour) down to 50% already on stock battery.

I have reactivated JuiceDefender to see if it helps over the next few hours although I had read that the batt apps (Adanced Task Killer and JuiceDefender, etc) should not be necessary with 2.2.

Looking at Advanced Task Killer, it seemed like there were a ton of extra apps running in the background after the OTA update that I have never used (Skype, Stocks, Voice Dialer, etc., literally about a dozen running). I went into the Apps under Settings and force closed them, I don't use them. Will see how that works.

Any recommendations for improving battery life on FROYO or should I just go get the gorilla battery?

Edited to add that I had to plug it in after 20 minutes talk-time - battery showed in the yellow ~30% - this after being unplugged for only 4:20 - I heard battery life sucked but this is ridiculous

adoxtater

Reaction score
Got mine pushed a few hours ago to my Incredible. My phone number is in the 702 area code (Las Vegas, NV) where I live, but right now I'm in New York City working, but I'm guessing they'd go by my area code and not my geographic location, right?

In any case, it's upgraded. Only thing I noticed right off the bat is that my signal strenght has all but dropped to nothing. This is not making me too happy. I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the upgrade, but it seems awful damning that it's happened only since the upgrade. We shall see.

Crossing my fingers....

Axel

Reaction score
Got mine pushed a few hours ago to my Incredible. My phone number is in the 702 area code (Las Vegas, NV) where I live, but right now I'm in New York City working, but I'm guessing they'd go by my area code and not my geographic location, right?

In any case, it's upgraded. Only thing I noticed right off the bat is that my signal strenght has all but dropped to nothing. This is not making me too happy. I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the upgrade, but it seems awful damning that it's happened only since the upgrade. We shall see.

Crossing my fingers....

Location is irrelevant.

The update is random. - VZWSupport twitter