Favorite/Best ROM that is stable?

Dinc_User

Reaction score
I have a rooted Dinc and am still using 2.1. My phone has downloaded the 2.2 update, and I'm getting nagged to install it. I was going to unroot and take the update, but the thread on the issues made me reconsider, and I would loose root access. It seems that a custom 2.2 rom would make me happy. I've looked at cyanogenmod 6.0, skyraider 3.0, and ruby, and at the moment am leaning towards ruby. i want something that pretty much everything works on that isn't buggy. any suggestions?

as far as implementing the change, i was planning on getting ROM Manager, backing up with titanium backup, and using ROM Manager to install. Am I missing anything?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I run Sapphire with no problems, and ruby is pretty much exactly the same. It is a great rom. Cvpcs is tied up in getting obsidian working, but after that updates for many different things should be coming. Though version 1.1.1 is great in itself.

Oh, and your installation method sounds fine. :)

Sent from my Droid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try them and find out which one works best for you. Because all you wil get here is oplnons.

OP
D

Dinc_User

Reaction score
i think i'm going to give ruby a shot. i do like to hear others' opinions though, especially if they explain why they prefer one rom over another. the key thing i want is that more or less everything works without hassle. i'll make a nandroid backup, so i guess i can always go back.

OP
D

Dinc_User

Reaction score
i may give skyraider a shot. i tried ruby last night, and i had a few issues (my phone locked up a few time) that may have been my fault (i'm a noob to be sure), but when playing with it one thing i noticed is that the keyboard didn't have the voice input microphone, which is something i use all the time. perhaps there is a way to get it back, but i didn't feel like figuring it out.

i also tried cyanogenmod 6.0.2, and have some issues with the email app. i repeatedly get "the application email (process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. please try again." and i have to force close. i'm not sure what the issue is, but if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

next stop, skyraider. ..

edit: i'm wondering if my use of ROM Manager has something to do with the email issue. i read that ruby has issues if you use rom manager to install. hmmm.

edit 2: i just used rom manager to install cyanogenmod 6.0.1 and it seems to be working fine with no issues. i still need to set up email, etc. one thing i noticed is that with 2.1 there was a "backup assistant" for contacts in accounts and sync. it is not there now. is there something i have to do to add it? i backed up my contacts with it and would like to restore.

edit 3: camera crashes the phone with cyanogenmod 6.0.1.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Their was no voice search because it isn't installed by default because it caused problems. Just installing it from the market should have brought voice search back.

And yeah, i always recommend a manual instal.

Sent from my Droid

S

spacemanps

i have been in the same spot as you, things i am looking for is just improvement on the battery life. I know 2.2 is not helping my situation...

OP
D

Dinc_User

Reaction score
Every 2.2 ROM I try crashes if I use the video camera

title says it all. am i the only one who has issues with 2.2 and the camera? is this a known problem that can be fixed?

at this point, i'm inclined to just stick with 2.1, because my camera/video works fine there. is there a way to stop the 2.2 update nag?

hayaku

Reaction score
which radio version do you have? the camera requires the 2.xx radio, any version of the 2.xx.

title says it all. am i the only one who has issues with 2.2 and the camera? is this a known problem that can be fixed?

at this point, i'm inclined to just stick with 2.1, because my camera/video works fine there. is there a way to stop the 2.2 update nag?

OP
D

Dinc_User

Reaction score
i think you may have solved my problem. my radio version is 1.00.03.04.06. i guess i'll have to do some searching and figure out how to update my radio software. thanks!

Gadawgs29

Reaction score
I like skyraider but i cant get it to update to RC3 without doing boot loops. I tried doing ruby 1.1.1 but cant get it to start software. (Keeps forcing close once it boots up so idk what is wrong) Im bout to try UD so well see how that goes

OP
D

Dinc_User

Reaction score
did you use rom manager to apply ruby? if so, apparently there are issues with installing it that way, and you are supposed to do it with recovery and apply the ruby zip first, and then google apps.

projekt128

Reaction score
I suggest trying Project Elite v1 by Actngrezy.. Rom is super quick, and really trimmed down. Comes stock with Slayher 1ghz. So far it's been super.