Still wondering about 2.1? They are working on it.....

Silver Member
Reaction score
those that are calling this a political statement aren't doing a very good job of reading between the lines. the replies are evident that moto is not happy with 2.1 in its current condition and cannot promise a significant enough change that will minimize issues upon rollout.

i applaud moto for trying to hash through the issues before releasing it. it's rare to see developers bring a level of QA to a product like moto is perceiving to be doing.

the original timeline was based off of target dates. in an IT world, a target date can easily be changed if goals are not met in time. in most situations, if those goals fall past the original target date, good project managers will take a step back and make sure that all of the project's bases were covered before defining a new one.

my guess is they've redefined a new target date, but we all know that if that date chagnes, moto will look worse. if they keep coming out with dates, and never deliver, moto will become a laughing stock.

moto has been applauded for their DROID and has been recognized as a once struggling company as one that is relevant again. do all of you really think they want to screw that up now?

i can also guarantee you that moto is not losing money off of their failed target date. the DROID is a huge success for moto, their first in a long while. and even at 2.0, it was still a solid phone. 2.0.1 helped to correct alot of common complaints among users and moto wants 2.1 to be the right step.

and let me throw this out there for you guys that are thinking, "well i can have 2.1 now, and it works, why can't moto get it to work???" remember, all of the 2.1 integration that is available to us is recompiled, merged code from other devices, versions, etc., just to "wedge" something in so that we can enjoy alternatives. there are still a ton of issues between all of the versions that aren't being directly addressed by these ROM developers, that moto would be privy to.

at this point, i wouldn't be surprised if we got right to 2.1.1. or they call it 2.2, or the DROID/Milestone's 2.1 will be different from N1's 2.1, etc., etc.

armeddroid

Reaction score
Personally
I can wait. Currently the Droid is great. With the members here dropping the 2.1 apps to have until we get it, works just fine for me.
I rather all the bugs are worked out then get it. If the firmware ends up being a better version then we are getting, so be it.
All good here.

ptfd13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
It's a phone. Get over it and enjoy what you have. So what if the N1 has 2.1? Are you just going to keep crying until mommy Motorola pays attention to you? Seriously we were never given a release date so Motorola has not fallen back on anything. We will be getting it soon and we all know that. Isin't that good enough?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Where has google denigrated the Droid.... show me.

Given Google's recent peculiar backpedaling and denigration of Droid's hardware there's a possibility we could be seeing subtle implication of a dispute between Motorola and Google regarding state-side multitouch and other promised features that Google may be attempting to reserve for its fledgling Nexus One. There's going to be a lot of blow-back if Google has suddenly decided the Android platform is only open when it aligns with Google's business interests. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face...

That was my question... I think DigiK is talking from his a$$. As 640K says above Moto is NOT happy with what they received form Google and should be applauded for not pushing out a release that not ready just it may upset a few users that lack common sense....

'Newer' is not always better.... ESPECIALLY when it comes to software. If you are that impatient than flash one of the cooked 2.1 ROMs.

Droidfish

Reaction score
2.0.1 is a good OS with it's only real drawback being it's limit to just 3 homescreens. I wasted last month anticipating the 2.1 update and when it didn't come I decided to root and rom and now really don't even want the next ota update. 2.1 seems to be all bells and whistles anyway.

So yeah all these 2.1 update threads are filled with redundant drivel yet here we are reading it and commenting on it.

Don't anticipate so much because it will come when it comes.

If you CAN'T wait, just root, with a little research you can be running a rom that's BETTER than 2.1 by this evening. I recommend Pete's Bugless Beast.

Other than that just be happy, no bugs beats uber features any day.

segdoh49

Reaction score
2.0.1 is a good OS with it's only real drawback being it's limit to just 3 homescreens. I wasted last month anticipating the 2.1 update and when it didn't come I decided to root and rom and now really don't even want the next ota update. 2.1 seems to be all bells and whistles anyway.

So yeah all these 2.1 update threads are filled with redundant drivel yet here we are reading it and commenting on it.

Don't anticipate so much because it will come when it comes.

If you CAN'T wait, just root, with a little research you can be running a rom that's BETTER than 2.1 by this evening. I recommend Pete's Bugless Beast.

Other than that just be happy, no bugs beats uber features any day.

With Panda Home I have 5 Home screens, haven't tried the 7 yet...

Silver Member
Reaction score
since using folders, i haven't had a need for more that three screens. in fact, i have a ton of wasted space now.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes and I've said this a few times. They may be having issues with the Nexus and have to get those fixed first. It only makes sense since it's the latest phone.

Don't forget we got 2.0 and then 2.01 before anyone got 2.0. The Nexus is getting the same treatment.

Besides, I have most of the apps installed using APK's. All I need is the multi touch browser (dont tell me to use xscope or dolphin - they suck) and the 5 screen launcher which is too buggy in the APK. Oh I'd also like the animated wallpapers.

Totally with SSH on this topic.

We just got the ported maps / nav, which may not be the US one. However we'll likely get another shortly.

All 2.1 apps are available if ones wants to install.

That tells us that they CAN run on the phone, so HW is not an issue, just coding.

Let them fix the N1 issues, and then I'm sure we'll get a 2.1 optimized for us.

As was said, some newer handsets are coming out with less, such as the Devour. Now I can see that as a pricing point, but hell, those like us could likely port 2.0 / 2.0.1 / 2.1 to that as well.

I have the goodies, I can wait.

I disagree with not using dolphin or xscope, I found each to be quite usable, I agree to disagree there. But at least it is an alternative until one ports the stock browser with MT if that is what you want.

robboxedit

Reaction score
Uh yeah..... so you concur that this is the exact same information that has been presented ad nauseam but with myriad more verbiage.... again not helpful in the least.

But you jumped on me versus SSH due to my low post count. Bit off more than you could chew now didn't you junior. Get a life and start doing some thinking for yourself. Make no mistake political correctness will be the downfall of our country. Thanks for doing your part lemming.
ummmm....wow. :icon_eek:

I guess if we want to play this game we can.....

First, I guess if CKs original post and my reply to you are "not helpful" that makes your pounding on a keyboard spewing venom at the world....and CK....and me....and Motorola.... a great help.

Second, not sure where in my comments you got anything in regards to your post count...post counts means nothing to me on these types of forums. A person with one post can make an equal or more impressive point versus a person with 10,000 posts. Why the hell would post count matter?....but apparently you have a chip on your shoulder regarding this for some reason.

Third, SSHs post presented his sentiment but did so in a much politer way. He also contributed by stating that he would have asked an additional question to the Moto rep which helped to include him in a discussion regarding what the Moto rep said or didnt say. Your comments where down right rude, obnoxious and uncalled for.

Finally, I guess maybe I did bite off more than I could chew (because apparently I'm a "junior" kind of guy:rolleyes:) thinking I could ever talk a head case like yourself down from the ledge internet insanity. Maybe your right though, I'll go do some thinking for myself but certainly not about political correctness :blink: or lemmings.....though they are pretty cute little animals.

And btw....
It's a phone. Get over it and enjoy what you have. So what if the N1 has 2.1? Are you just going to keep crying until mommy Motorola pays attention to you? Seriously we were never given a release date so Motorola has not fallen back on anything. We will be getting it soon and we all know that. Isin't that good enough?
+1...well said

Last edited:

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
his statements are fine, but i guess that quashes some people's hopes that 2.1 will be released on Jan 22nd :icon_ devil:

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It's the sense of entitlement that some people have that is most fascinating.

Motorola/Google/Verizon have already delivered to the end user a stable and reliable device. Free of touchscreen problems, connectivity issues and native applications all work flawlessly without any out of memory errors. The device out-of-the-box has worked "flawlessly" since it's release.

That is what Motorola/Google/Verizon owes people, nothing more nothing less.

I just don't understand why people feel entitled. If we were having the issues the N1 had I could understand people getting upset over the silence and wanting answers but this is not even the case. Not even close.

Tempers are flaring over a gallery, launcher and multi-touch upgrade. It's so trivial.

Lets all sit back and relax. Getting upset over such a small update is hardly worth it.

robboxedit

Reaction score
agreed CK, I love this phone, works great, looks good, etc... don't get me wrong, I'm always up for a good update but considering what is rumored to be in it I'm not sure it's "life changing" or woth this type of everyday aggravation.....is it? I'm pretty sure that after the update it will still just be a phone that can do some pretty cool stuff.

Though I will say that my AVAYA landline here in the office is pi$$ing me off!!! It won't run apps and has no live wallpapers!!!! THEY OWE ME!!!! ARGGGG!!!!:icon_ devil:

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
moto has been applauded for their DROID and has been recognized as a once struggling company as one that is relevant again. do all of you really think they want to screw that up now?

I agree. I've owned moto phones since the startac. Mainly because they are built to military specs and being a DOD employee in QA, I can assure you if these requlations are complied with you end up with a helluva product. (expensive sometimes -- $400 hammers but worth it).

s-one

Reaction score
Matt over at moto support? Now that dude business wise sucks. He couldn't even tell me if mto was aware of droid callers having issues with "outgoing" calls. Moto can't even provide him with a "real" forum tgat uses Sticky's to help him with redudant requests. Moto sucks!

ballmore

Reaction score
It's all good. I'm gonna try to forget about updates and just let it suprise me one day. :reddroid:
The update that I am waiting for is to make the droid ad apps to the sd card. To me that is more valuable that live wallpapers or pinch zoom. The app market would grow more if we had more room to put the apps. I have to be more selective about how many apps and witch ones I have cuz I don't want to use up the 256mb of phone storage. If the apps could get put on the card then I could have 5 times as many apps as I do now.
Appstosd without having to root my droid is the update that I want. From what I can tell though it's not scheduled to be put into an update until a while after the 2.1 update. :motdroidhoriz: