Still wondering about 2.1? They are working on it.....

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This is from Motorola's Support Forums. It's a Q and A of sorts with the forum manager. Keep in mind it's NOT an official statement.

I will link OP at end of post if you wish to read the entire thread.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is such a sensitive topic on both sides -- owners want it badly and so do we. I feel your pain! So let me do what I can to address this.

Be warned -- we are entering "Matt's opinion zone," vs. some kind of official statement.

• I don't understand, with all the buzz about 2.1 and all of the questions being asked all over the web, why doesn't a company like Motorola just offer its customers a simple explanation?
    • I totally understand your frustration -- in fact I probably feel it more strongly than you do since it would make my job so much easier! But simple explanations are great for simple topics, and this isn't one of them.
  • No one is demanding specific dates. No one is going to hold you to an approximation.
    • I just totally disagree with this. People want dates and they will most definitly hold us to them. Read these forums for a day and you can't escape it. Sorry.
  • But just think how much better your company is viewed by its customers when it is open about what its doing? How much grief are Moto, Google and Verizon getting from Droid owners wanting to know when they will get 2.1?
    • This is only too true. So I think you can recognize that if we could make a simple explanation, we would, right? There must be powerful reasons keeping us from doing it. It's not that we wouldn't love to do it!
  • Same for HTC MyTouch owners and G1 owners waiting for 1.6 and 2.0.
    • Not that I want to suggest for an instant that we don't want to be better than the rest in this area, but it is another data point suggesting that the reasons not to do it are pretty powerful.
  • Its really not that hard to do, and it can win you a lot of "points".
    • It is so, so hard to do. Updating software to the level of reliability necessary is no joke. And the bigger the job and the longer the timeline, the more likely you will have slips and delays. Plus -- and you won't like this at all -- the vast majority of owners simply are not paying attention to any update schedule. They will be happy with the updates when they get them -- suprised but happy. They are not counting the days. But if I put a deadline out there, then they might start counting days, and perfectly contented owners might become dissatisfied.
  • So come on Motorola, just tell YOUR CUSTOMERS what the status is. Do you have the 2.1 update from Google? Are you working on it? Are you waiting for 2.1.1? You must have an internal release date...why not offer us a clue. "Within a week". "Within two weeks". "Before the end of the month". Or maybe "We've passed the update onto Verizon and it is now up to them to push it out".
    • Well of course we are working on it. We announced that it's coming so I think it stands to reason that we're working on it, right? More I cannot say.

• All this silence does is make people (your customers) crazy and makes them blame everyone involved for holding up the process or "screwing with their customers". The Million+ droid owners out there are the ones pulling you back from pits of the mobile phone industry....throw us a bone!
    • Yeah, it does. I know it only too well and again, I'm sorry. But people want what they want. I'm not going to tell anyone to calm down or chill or get a life. This matters to owners and I'm GLAD it matters. Thank goodness you all care!

And, after all of that -- we definitely want to get to a point where we can, with confidence, give guidance, timelines -- maybe even honest-to-goodness dates! -- for when new software will be released. There is a strong movement for this and it's well supported. But a lot has to happen before we can. So that's were we are today.

In my opinion.

Now leaving "Matt's opinion zone."

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/111268#111268

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that but it was nothing more than we knew already... I would have asked if we are getting ALL of the 2.1 features the nexus has including multitouch.

robboxedit

Reaction score
whoa...easy there cabotcat, CK is trying to pass along a little info for a topic on everyones minds. Granted, this has all been speculated before but at least its a viable source that gives us the feeling that, yes, they are working on it.

Not to mention that CK has been nothing but helpful on this forum. I for one appreciate the post and also appreciate that CK is not just another person on here whinning that...."I want it now!!!! Where is it?!?!?!" blah, blah, blah.

Not sure your sarcastic reply was all that needed, nor was it very nice.

strobez395

Reaction score
Gotta love the secrecy.. It's not like 2.1 isn't out for certain phones already. I would even just like to hear what is still needed to be done on it.. I'm fine waiting though, just curious.

cabotcat

Reaction score
whoa...easy there cabotcat, CK is trying to pass along a little info for a topic on everyones minds. Granted, this has all been speculated before but at least its a viable source that gives us the feeling that, yes, they are working on it.

Not to mention that CK has been nothing but helpful on this forum. I for one appreciate the post and also appreciate that CK is not just another person on here whinning that...."I want it now!!!! Where is it?!?!?!" blah, blah, blah.

Not sure your sarcastic reply was all that needed, nor was it very nice.

Uh yeah..... so you concur that this is the exact same information that has been presented ad nauseam but with myriad more verbiage.... again not helpful in the least.

But you jumped on me versus SSH due to my low post count. Bit off more than you could chew now didn't you junior. Get a life and start doing some thinking for yourself. Make no mistake political correctness will be the downfall of our country. Thanks for doing your part lemming.

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Had nothing to do with my post count - my post was not offensive. I appreciate his information and was just pointing out in a nice way that it could have been more useful.

FYI - +1 to post count :icon_ banana:

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Uh yeah..... so you concur that this is the exact same information that has been presented ad nauseam but with myriad more verbiage.... again not helpful in the least.
Only providing the "info" from the forum manager over there. Nothing more nothing less.

Purpose of the thread was not to give members official news. I wanted to pass this on to those that MAY still be interested. Thus the title.....

Sorry I could not provide anything of real substance and get everyone answers. Just wanted to add another perspective from somebody close to Motorola.

davidtaylorjr

Reaction score
I don't understand why they can't at least tell us what kind of hangups they are having, at least then we could understand a little better. This is just basic corporate run around dodge statements that are fruitless. It would have been better for the rep to have not said anything at all rather than just frustrate people even more with dodgy answers that give no information whatsoever, lame motorola!

Thanks for the post.

johall07

Reaction score
so basically this guy is a nerd that sits on moto forums all day and just puts NO INFORMATION in his own words to try and give us some "insider insight' not talking to OP but **** YOU

Shel

Reaction score
Perhaps I could remind people that while the Droid is on OS 2.0.1, the majority of Android phones are way behind us! I believe only the Nexus One, at this time, is ahead of us as far as OS is concerned....

My wifes phone (a Behold II) is still on OS 1.5! She still has the OLD market, with the black background... along with NO Navigation, and other upgrades!

And... Samsung announced before the release of the Behold II that it would definitely get OS 2.1.

Of course, she isn't waiting on the edge of her seat for the update... I don't think she really even cares! She's happy with her phone, prefers it over her previous Blackberry, and that's pretty much it as far as she's concerned. As the post said... when her phone gets an update, she'll say "oh, that's nice"... and move along!

Me?

WHERE THE HELL IS OS 2.1????

davidtaylorjr

Reaction score
I'm so used to having my iPhone that I knew when updates would come out, and they came out on time not over a month later..

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
  • But just think how much better your company is viewed by its customers when it is open about what its doing? How much grief are Moto, Google and Verizon getting from Droid owners wanting to know when they will get 2.1?
    • This is only too true. So I think you can recognize that if we could make a simple explanation, we would, right? There must be powerful reasons keeping us from doing it. It's not that we wouldn't love to do it!
This strike anyone else as interesting?
Seems possibly to confirm that many of the Nexus 1's problems might be from the OS... I figured it would take Moto and VZW a while to implement the update(s) but this makes it sound like there's some serious issues Google needs to address.