Clarification about 2.1: Everyone read

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by CKyle22, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CKyle22

CKyle22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To those of you saying you will unroot to get 2.1 and then reroot: THINK AGAIN. The exploit that allowed us to root our phones was patched DAYS after it was discovered. The reason we can still root our phones is because Moto/VZW never pushed an OTA update of the "fixed" 2.0.1.

Therefore, the exploit is NOT there in 2.1. So you will NOT be able to reroot.

Sorry for the excessive formatting but I saw at least 30 posts saying that they'll unroot, try it, and then reroot.
  2. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    2.1 is already rooted. It was rooted even before the Nexus was released.
  3. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would guess that it would be a different exploit for root on the N1 vs. the Droid....I bet their completely different root exploits...

But, yeah it will be fixed whenever we get it....they're not gonna send it out rooted are they? No.....that's why the devs have to figure out the new exploit...
  4. Spectral

Spectral Member

Ratings:
    +0
    2.1 on the Nexus was rooted. 2.1 on the Droid is not going to be the same.

People just need to be patient. Give it a day or 2 after a Dev. gets a hold of Droid 2.1 and rooted droids can have a Stock ROOTED 2.1 and then they will mod it from there.
  5. r-dubya

r-dubya Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Again, this is why i will not unroot. I will just paitiantly wait for the guys over at sholes, or BB to exploit the new version, then install the ROM of my choice.

This phone continues to get better every day :icon_ banana:
  6. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have seen (in a few sources) that the Nexus 1 can NOT be unrooted once it is rooted. Anyone know if this is the case? Not that I had any plans of unrooting for the OTA but it might be good for others to know if that is the case.
  7. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After hearing of what the 2.1 update contains and more importantly "what it's missing" I'm not going to update to it... I'm sticking with Sholes and I'm sure anything 2.1 has that we don't will be included in a future update from sholes. After using sholes for a while now, I can't find a reason to ever go back to a verizon Rom.
  8. shademar

shademar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still looks to be true, check out the dev thread re the N1 bootlocker at xda:
    Relocking your Bootloader - xda-developers

Also check out:
    *OFFICIAL* HTC Eris Root Status thread - Android Forums

and note that, despite very good people working on it, the Eris is still not rooted. And it was released at the same time as the droid.

I'm not sure the people thinking it'll be rooted in a day or two are being terribly realistic. :icon_eek:
  9. lovekmats

lovekmats Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just have a quick question, if I don't unroot when I get 2.1, superuserpermissions is still going to be in my phone, right? It'll just be a useless app in my phone? And the only way to get rid of it (meaning the icon) is by unrooting now? because I've read before some people unrooted and superuser permissions was still there.. :( sorry if this is a dumb question.
  10. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    This brings up another interesting scenario... So if 2.1 comes out and is NOT rootable what will new/refurbished Droid be 'flashed' with from the factory... it would REALLY suck if someone had to exchange/replace their phone and the replacement had an unrootable ROM...

Be about the same as if root can't be reversed... you would NOT be able to exchange the phone for warranty or insurance... you'd essentially have to drop it in the toilet and hope they don't (or can't) pull the ROM info once they get it at the reconditioning facility.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  11. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER Member

Ratings:
    +0
    While everyones optimism of "2 days and they'll have 2.1 hacked/rooted" might be unrealistic... I just don't see it NOT HAPPENING AT ALL as some claim. Hell, if the Iphone can be jailbroken with as anal as they are... no phone is truly safe from hacking.
  12. 00bear

00bear Member

Ratings:
    +0
    that would suck i have a lot plans for my phone ,all this what if ..he said she said s killing me today
  13. 00bear

00bear Member

Ratings:
    +0
    dont get me wrong its something to0 consider
  14. r-dubya

r-dubya Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hell, Just say it was stolen... problem fixed. Now to address the problem of speculation...
  15. zero7starz

zero7starz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't you basically do it the same way as rooting a G1 and downgrade to 2.0.1 (after having had 2.1) and then reroot? I don't see why you couldn't RE-LOAD the old version in order to root. Just make a 2.0.1 backup before updating, if you don't like it, install update and go back! Should be just as easy... right guys? ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.