Something needs to be done about quoting previous posts

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is one of the forum "Guidlines" to only quote what you need from the previous post,

how many people actually read the rules?

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to edit their multi quotes or single quote to just include what point they wanted to make.

i think it's either laziness or lack of understanding

TParker, you said it bes man

+1

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can understand quoting to reply in a fast moving thread or else your post would not make any sense, but still selective quoting...only what you need to make your point.

Quoting in a thread where there are only two people involved is unnecessary, unless the O/P is long and detailed and you just want to hit on one point, then you quote that point

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
...except that it will affect users that are quoting a particular part of a post.

True, but like a few have said since my post, how many people need more than half a sentence quoted for people to grasp the point of the reply? Maybe it would require not accepting the post until the people narrowed down the quote? Kind of like a Twitter post - except this would only allow specific length of quotes, not the reply itself.

BlueSami

Reaction score
gripe gripe gripe
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Look, jev made a funny.

So I made one back :)

Anyone (yeah, it's 1 word) else not read the entire thing? just for you, I replaced the italics I used for emphasis with bold.

Besides If ppl just wouldn't be so lazy they could quote properly like I just did.

Problem is, people ARE that lazy, hence why I'm asking for a reply button and emphasizing my point through ridiculous overuse of quoting ;)

But I just one-upped all of you, I just multi-quoted a quote of a quote that I've quoted in the same post.

Somebody better will come along.....

I don't know what your talking about.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
QUOTE=fish1552;791994 quote=Bdog;791976 quote=jev;791863
--------
I think when you hit quote, figuring out the above might be a bit much for some to figure out. Hitting MULTI might make it much easier for them to figure out.

A better option might be to restrict quotes to a specific number of characters. Only include the last X number? That way, noobs to the forum concept wouldn't abuse it?

Oh noes I divided by zero!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The Forum actually has a profile mode that cuts down to two steps back for a reply. It stopped working for me when I signed out, but if you look in there it might help.

I do a lot of posting on here, and a lot of times I'll have multiple threads up, so having to quote and go out and back and.... yeah, I do the reply a lot and many a time I'll do one and not quote the above text and people will be confused.

It's a problem, yes, but other than changing away from the stock look/feel, I don't know of any way to fix it on the user end.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Personally, I find it veeeeeery annoying having to go through people's posts quoting the previous person's post who quoted the previous person's post who quoted the previous person's post.

I've grown to learn that people using the quick reply at the bottom of the thread is about as common as them using forum search, and using the ACTUAL reply button... Well, let's not go there.

I have no idea how vBadvanced works, but most forums I've ever had the displeasure to work with or be a part of, they were able to add a reply tag at each post, so users don't quote every damn time. Is it possible to do this here in hopes of a good number of the one-sentenced posts flooded by paragraphs of quotes can go away?

Personally, I find it veeeeeery annoying having to go through people's posts quoting the previous person's post who quoted the previous person's post who quoted the previous person's post.

I've grown to learn that people using the quick reply at the bottom of the thread is about as common as them using forum search, and using the ACTUAL reply button... Well, let's not go there.

I have no idea how vBadvanced works, but most forums I've ever had the displeasure to work with or be a part of, they were able to add a reply tag at each post, so users don't quote every damn time. Is it possible to do this here in hopes of a good number of the one-sentenced posts flooded by paragraphs of quotes can go away?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I agree with you, but you know as well as I do, that whatever you do to fix 1 annoying issue another pops up. My advice, don't let it get to you. I have a pet peeve with run-on sentences and poor grammar, but you can't fix everyone.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I agree with you, but you know as well as I do, that whatever you do to fix 1 annoying issue another pops up. My advice, don't let it get to you. I have a pet peeve with run-on sentences and poor grammar, but you can't fix everyone.

That has always bothered me to but I learned too live with it and don't even let me get into the double posts I'm only talking about the one biggest issue and it's the constant quoting other posts if I wanted too point everything out that I dislike this would be one hell of a thread because I hate the Tapatalk sigs ("Sent from my phone using Tapatalk" just seems a little pretentious too me) double and triple posts the incorrect usage of your you're there their they're and of course the too to I'm sure you've noticed I pointed out all through this post

And here's my double post, also quoted but I moved where I put my part. Now you're confused AND annoyed.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

That has always bothered me to but I learned too live with it and don't even let me get into the double posts I'm only talking about the one biggest issue and it's the constant quoting other posts if I wanted too point everything out that I dislike this would be one hell of a thread because I hate the Tapatalk sigs ("Sent from my phone using Tapatalk" just seems a little pretentious too me) double and triple posts the incorrect usage of your you're there their they're and of course the too to I'm sure you've noticed I pointed out all through this post

And here's my double post, also quoted but I moved where I put my part. Now you're confused AND annoyed.

And now a third consecutive post, still with annoying quotes and moved where I typed my actual post, mostly for emphasis, but to also let jev know I had to get ya back for not being able to resist quoting me in a thread complaining about quote replies :p

Now tell me. How do I not let all THAT ^^^ not get to me?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Any one else see the irony in this?

Besides If ppl just wouldn't be so lazy they could quote properly like I just did.

And now a third consecutive post, still with annoying quotes and moved where I typed my actual post, mostly for emphasis, but to also let jev know I had to get ya back for not being able to resist quoting me in a thread complaining about quote replies :p

But I just one-upped all of you, I just multi-quoted a quote of a quote that I've quoted in the same post.

gripe gripe gripe
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Look, jev made a funny.

Anyone (yeah, it's 1 word) else not read the entire thing? just for you, I replaced the italics I used for emphasis with bold.

Problem is, people ARE that lazy, hence why I'm asking for a reply button and emphasizing my point through ridiculous overuse of quoting ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Look, jev made a funny.

I doubt it. Especially since I just updated my sig line to include the Tapatalk in every post I've ever made. Double :D

Look, jev made a funny.

I doubt it. Especially since I just updated my sig line to include the Tapatalk in every post I've ever made. Double :D

I think I just launched a let's-be-annoying-thread rather than a legitimate complain thread. Go me

--------
I think when you hit quote, figuring out the above might be a bit much for some to figure out. Hitting MULTI might make it much easier for them to figure out.

A better option might be to restrict quotes to a specific number of characters. Only include the last X number? That way, noobs to the forum concept wouldn't abuse it?

That wouldn't be too bad of an idea fish, except that it will affect users that are quoting a particular part of a post.

What I'm suggesting, is that "post reply" button at the bottom of the list of posts be added next to the "quote" button at the bottom of each post. Or at the very least rename the "quick" button to "reply" so skim users won't have to quote entire jumbo posts like was going on in page 1.

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to edit their multi quotes or single quote to just include what point they wanted to make.

It is one of the forum "Guidlines" to only quote what you need from the previous post, most of the time there is only a sentence or two that my post is going to be directed at, and if not I still find a way to shorten the quote...everyone subscribed has already read the initial post and we don't need to read it again

I would even appreciate that jev.. Thing is, they're not quoting any points at all. They're quoting to reply. That's what bugs me so bad.

It is one of the forum "Guidlines" to only quote what you need from the previous post,

+1

I can understand quoting to reply in a fast moving thread or else your post would not make any sense, but still selective quoting...only what you need to make your point.

Quoting in a thread where there are only two people involved is unnecessary, unless the O/P is long and detailed and you just want to hit on one point, then you quote that point

...except that it will affect users that are quoting a particular part of a post.

True, but like a few have said since my post, how many people need more than half a sentence quoted for people to grasp the point of the reply? Maybe it would require not accepting the post until the people narrowed down the quote? Kind of like a Twitter post - except this would only allow specific length of quotes, not the reply itself.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Look, jev made a funny.

--------

The Forum actually has a profile mode that cuts down to two steps back for a reply. It stopped working for me when I signed out, but if you look in there it might help.

I do a lot of posting on here, and a lot of times I'll have multiple threads up, so having to quote and go out and back and.... yeah, I do the reply a lot and many a time I'll do one and not quote the above text and people will be confused.

It's a problem, yes, but other than changing away from the stock look/feel, I don't know of any way to fix it on the user end.

come on guys lets keep working on the quote pyramid =D

I find this interesting........:icon_ banana:

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Excuse me while I divide by zero again

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

gripe gripe gripe
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Look, jev made a funny.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Look, jev made a funny.

Look, jev made a funny.

I think I just launched a let's-be-annoying-thread rather than a legitimate complain thread. Go me

--------

That wouldn't be too bad of an idea fish, except that it will affect users that are quoting a particular part of a post.

What I'm suggesting, is that "post reply" button at the bottom of the list of posts be added next to the "quote" button at the bottom of each post. Or at the very least rename the "quick" button to "reply" so skim users won't have to quote entire jumbo posts like was going on in page 1.

It is one of the forum "Guidlines" to only quote what you need from the previous post, most of the time there is only a sentence or two that my post is going to be directed at, and if not I still find a way to shorten the quote...everyone subscribed has already read the initial post and we don't need to read it again

I would even appreciate that jev.. Thing is, they're not quoting any points at all. They're quoting to reply. That's what bugs me so bad.

+1

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Look, jev made a funny.

--------

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

edit. i win. for now.. (i didnt even read this thread just followed along)

OP
B

Bdog

Reaction score

This has to stop :D 100,000 character limit

I think you beat Droidman

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

I hereby nominate this as the most useless thread ever!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

i must agree

Sorry, couldn't resist.

This has to stop :D By the way there is 100,000 character limit