So its come to this...Unlimited Data -or- Bionic

haproot

Reaction score
The salespeople will say anything to get you to upgrade now.

tkuligowski

Reaction score
I e-mailed Verizon and I went in and talked to a store manager today. I finally got a different reply and probably the actual truth. Both people said that feature phone unlimited data plans and smartphone data plans have different codes and my feature phone plan would NOT be grandfathered in when I upgrade to a smart phone. So it was good to get some actual proof now as I have been skeptical cause I hear one thing from verizon and another from the msg board, blogs, news sites.

This really sucks though..I think I'm going to upgrade to a Droid X2 now before July 7th cause the Bionic won't be out. Guess if I really want a bionic Ill have to sell the Droid x2 and buy a Bionic for retail price...My other option is the charge..it seems to be the only decent 4g phone currently.

berfles

Reaction score
I'm buying the X2 on July 6th, if the Bionic comes out before the 30 days return window from Best Buy I'll return it and pay the difference for the Bionic.

Xerrus

Reaction score
I'm buying the X2 on July 6th, if the Bionic comes out before the 30 days return window from Best Buy I'll return it and pay the difference for the Bionic.

Thought it was only a 14-day return window now...?

tds1

Reaction score

Thought it was only a 14-day return window now...?

15 days is from Verizon, Best Buy still has 30 days.

I was thinking of doing a similar thing since I don't currently have a smartphone, and buying the Droid Charge before July 7 and exchanging it if the Bionic comes out within the exchange window. Doesn't Costco have a 90 day exchange policy so wouldn't that be the best choice? I assume an exchange won't void the unlimited data correct?

berfles

Reaction score
No idea about Costco, don't have any around me. I flat out told the guy at BB I planned on doing this and he said it would work, I told him I was jumping now because of the oncoming tiered plans.

He also told me about their buyback program, apparently up to 6 months after purchase they'll give you 50% off of the non-contract price, which I didn't really understand. If I paid $200 for the X2 and had them buy it back, they'd give me $300 since regular price is $599? So that means I could take that $300 and buy a Droid Bionic, unless you then have to purchase a new phone at regular price instead of the 2 year contract price.

Last edited:

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I havent read through this thread, so I am only going by the title.

If it comes down to unlimited data or a phone, I will pick the data plan before I ever think of a phone. With the fact that you will be able to carry over unl. through upgrades just tell yourself that while the bionic is nice now, there will always be better down the road. If you think you will be using more than the 2 GB a month, I'd definitely say lock in unlimited data while you can.

nalgon

Reaction score
Costco has the charge for $179 and 30 day return policy. gives a lil time to see if bionic comes out with in the 30 days and if it doesnt u just wait for 20 months for something better but wont lose ur unlimited data plan. I got a slingbox and cant afford to lose my data plan.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

rome784

Reaction score
I got me a BlackBerry curve today off criagslist so I could get grandfathered in with the unlimited data...YAY ME:icon_ banana:...Can't wait to get the Bionic!!!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I got me a BlackBerry curve today off criagslist so I could get grandfathered in with the unlimited data...YAY ME:icon_ banana:...Can't wait to get the Bionic!!!

Why a Blackberry??

Why not an Android phone so you could get used to the OS?

sent from somewhere...

rome784

Reaction score

Why a Blackberry??

sent from somewhere...
Oh I wanted one but I got the phone for 35 bucks...The lady only used it for a couple months before she got a I phone...I had a blackberry before and it was ok but I really want a droid thought but everytime I price one it's always over a 100 bucks, I'll just deal with this BB for a month or so until the bionic comes out...

eagle923

Reaction score

Why a Blackberry??

sent from somewhere...

The BB plans are different than the Android plans (at least they were). You may want to double check if that will work.

rome784

Reaction score

Why a Blackberry??

sent from somewhere...

The BB plans are different than the Android plans (at least they were). You may want to double check if that will work.
I talked to the guy a verizon and asked him about getting grandfathered in before july 7, he said as long as you have the unlimited data on any phone you will be grandfathered in after july 7...

FordSHO

Reaction score
Hi Everybody. I just read through the thread. I am also in the same situation as a few of you guys. I have an old school flip phone LG VX8300. I know my upgrade is long overdue. I was planning on making the jump when the bionic comes out. I have a family plan and have recently upgraded two of the lines with smartphones, one with the iphone 4 and the other with the LG revolution both have the $29.99 unlimited data plan.

When I go under my verizon wireless account online, I can add features and under data packages they list an unlimited data package for $29.99 on that phone (LG VX8300). I was thinking about adding this unlimited data package to that phone to get grandfathered in. Before I add it I want to see if anybody has done this and knows if it will work or not with the $29.99 plan. I honestly have no clue. This was the only idea I had and want to see if it would work or not.

I can add that $10 package as well under my verizon wireless account which I think is what some of you were talking about data on a feature phone but there also is an unlimited data option as well that is $29.99. This is the one I was thinking about adding to see if it would carry over. Would anybody know?

This is what is listed under my verizon wireless online account under add features for my LG VX8300

ESSENTIALS

Data Package

Pay Per Use ($1.99/MB) - $0.00/month (this is what I have selected)

75 MB Data w/E-mail - $10.00/month

Unlimited Data - $29.99/month

Some of you have suggested to buy an old 3g phone off ebay and activating it but I don't know that just seems like a hassel, and the date is getting close. I think I would sooner just get one of the other phones that are available now. Would anybody know if the available $29.99 unlimited data plan for my LG flip phone would carry over when I switch when the bionic comes out? Thanks for the help. Sorry for the long post. I appreciate the help. Thanks Again