So its come to this...Unlimited Data -or- Bionic

spider210

Reaction score
Hi Everybody. I just read through the thread. I am also in the same situation as a few of you guys. I have an old school flip phone LG VX8300. I know my upgrade is long overdue. I was planning on making the jump when the bionic comes out. I have a family plan and have recently upgraded two of the lines with smartphones, one with the iphone 4 and the other with the LG revolution both have the $29.99 unlimited data plan.

When I go under my verizon wireless account online, I can add features and under data packages they list an unlimited data package for $29.99 on that phone (LG VX8300). I was thinking about adding this unlimited data package to that phone to get grandfathered in. Before I add it I want to see if anybody has done this and knows if it will work or not with the $29.99 plan. I honestly have no clue. This was the only idea I had and want to see if it would work or not.

I can add that $10 package as well under my verizon wireless account which I think is what some of you were talking about data on a feature phone but there also is an unlimited data option as well that is $29.99. This is the one I was thinking about adding to see if it would carry over. Would anybody know?

This is what is listed under my verizon wireless online account under add features for my LG VX8300

ESSENTIALS

Data Package

Pay Per Use ($1.99/MB) - $0.00/month (this is what I have selected)

75 MB Data w/E-mail - $10.00/month

Unlimited Data - $29.99/month

Some of you have suggested to buy an old 3g phone off ebay and activating it but I don't know that just seems like a hassel, and the date is getting close. I think I would sooner just get one of the other phones that are available now. Would anybody know if the available $29.99 unlimited data plan for my LG flip phone would carry over when I switch when the bionic comes out? Thanks for the help. Sorry for the long post. I appreciate the help. Thanks Again

Must have a smartphone! Not a feature phone....

Sent from my DROIDX

tkuligowski

Reaction score
Hi Everybody. I just read through the thread. I am also in the same situation as a few of you guys. I have an old school flip phone LG VX8300. I know my upgrade is long overdue. I was planning on making the jump when the bionic comes out. I have a family plan and have recently upgraded two of the lines with smartphones, one with the iphone 4 and the other with the LG revolution both have the $29.99 unlimited data plan.

When I go under my verizon wireless account online, I can add features and under data packages they list an unlimited data package for $29.99 on that phone (LG VX8300). I was thinking about adding this unlimited data package to that phone to get grandfathered in. Before I add it I want to see if anybody has done this and knows if it will work or not with the $29.99 plan. I honestly have no clue. This was the only idea I had and want to see if it would work or not.

I can add that $10 package as well under my verizon wireless account which I think is what some of you were talking about data on a feature phone but there also is an unlimited data option as well that is $29.99. This is the one I was thinking about adding to see if it would carry over. Would anybody know?

This is what is listed under my verizon wireless online account under add features for my LG VX8300

ESSENTIALS

Data Package

Some of you have suggested to buy an old 3g phone off ebay and activating it but I don't know that just seems like a hassel, and the date is getting close. I think I would sooner just get one of the other phones that are available now. Would anybody know if the available $29.99 unlimited data plan for my LG flip phone would carry over when I switch when the bionic comes out? Thanks for the help. Sorry for the long post. I appreciate the help. Thanks Again

Like you I was looking for answers on this for about a week and heard many different things. You would think that unlimited data is unlimited data no matter what phone you have. Apparently this is not the case though. I was told by verizon via e-mail and by a verizon store manager the same day that feature phones use a different code for unlimited data, and the plan is separate from smart phones. I have an EnvTouch so I was very worried about this as I also have the unlimited plan for my EnVtouch. So I bought a droid off ebay today in order to guarantee I get grandfathered in.

So to answer your question...No. If you wait until the bionic comes out and upgrade or even buy it outright and attempt to activate it you will be required to use the new Tier data plans. Does this make sense? Absolutely not. Is it fair? No way. It's about the most retarded thing I've heard of them doing yet. I'm out $122 dollars for my new OG droid I bought today because of being in the exact situation you are in.

FordSHO

Reaction score

ESSENTIALS

Data Package

Must have a smartphone! Not a feature phone....

Sent from my DROIDX

Even if it is the $29.99 unlimited data plan? Are you sure? and if so how do you know? I am just really unsure that is why I am asking. Personally I can't see why anybody would have had the $29.99 unlimited plan on this type of phone but it is offered so I would guess it should be the same as the other $29.99 unlimited data. Again I really do not know, I am just asking because I would like to clear it up.

FordSHO

Reaction score

ESSENTIALS

Data Package

Like you I was looking for answers on this for about a week and heard many different things. You would think that unlimited data is unlimited data no matter what phone you have. Apparently this is not the case though. I was told by verizon via e-mail and by a verizon store manager the same day that feature phones use a different code for unlimited data, and the plan is separate from smart phones. I have an EnvTouch so I was very worried about this as I also have the unlimited plan for my EnVtouch. So I bought a droid off ebay today in order to guarantee I get grandfathered in.

So to answer your question...No. If you wait until the bionic comes out and upgrade or even buy it outright and attempt to activate it you will be required to use the new Tier data plans. Does this make sense? Absolutely not. Is it fair? No way. It's about the most retarded thing I've heard of them doing yet. I'm out $122 dollars for my new OG droid I bought today because of being in the exact situation you are in.

Thank you. That was very helpful. If thats it then that it. It was worth the shot. Verizon got you coming and going. I guess I will just upgrade to one of the 4G currently out sometime this week. I don't think it worth the trouble of buying a phone off ebay and all that. But that is just me. No matter which of the 4G phones I get it will be an upgrade over my current model. Thank you for your input. I appreciate your help.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even if it is the $29.99 unlimited data plan? Are you sure? and if so how do you know? I am just really unsure that is why I am asking. Personally I can't see why anybody would have had the $29.99 unlimited plan on this type of phone but it is offered so I would guess it should be the same as the other $29.99 unlimited data. Again I really do not know, I am just asking because I would like to clear it up.

It's been confirmed by Verizon reps in the stores and maybe a memo that's been released (can't remember exactly). So yes you really will need to buy a smartphone.

I'm in your boat right now. I have a feature phone so I'm looking on eBay to get a smartphone so I can keep unlimited data for when I get the Bionic.

tkuligowski

Reaction score

ESSENTIALS

Data Package

Thank you. That was very helpful. If thats it then that it. It was worth the shot. Verizon got you coming and going. I guess I will just upgrade to one of the 4G currently out sometime this week. I don't think it worth the trouble of buying a phone off ebay and all that. But that is just me. No matter which of the 4G phones I get it will be an upgrade over my current model. Thank you for your input. I appreciate your help.

I hear ya...I thought about upgrading as well but I'm just not liking the current offerings enough waste my upgrade on them which is why I bought "filler" phone for now and wait until one I really like comes out.

FordSHO

Reaction score
That is really the only option at this point for me. I had upgraded two of my lines on my family plan this month, one with the iphone 4 and the other with the LG revolution. For these lines it was necessary to upgrade because both of their phones went. Mine still works fine and I was planning on waiting for the bionic, but then I read about the new pricing plans. I think I might pick up a Samsung Charge or another LG Revolution. I don't think I am going to wait for the last possible minute either, because I can see verizon not allowing activation of 4g phones the day before they make the switch or something to that effect happening. Like I said they got you coming and going. Again thanks for your help.

mike02vr6

Reaction score
So any droid would be considered a smart phone? I hope so(sometimes I think I am to stupid for a smart phone), my Eris should be here tomorrow or Tues the latest. Damn, I just found out then when my wife's phone got upgraded in Oct '10 that they added internet access to both of our phones! so I have been paying 10 bux extra a month and never knew...I wonder if VZW will do anything for me. I have never asked for my alias to have internet and never used it.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
So any droid would be considered a smart phone? I hope so(sometimes I think I am to stupid for a smart phone), my Eris should be here tomorrow or Tues the latest. Damn, I just found out then when my wife's phone got upgraded in Oct '10 that they added internet access to both of our phones! so I have andbeen paying 10 bux extra a month and never knew...I wonder if VZW will do anything for me. I have never asked for my alias to have internet and never used it.

They should be able to take the internet access off and give you a credit... they activated visual voice mail on me and I had it for six months w/o knowing! They gave me the credit without much fuss .... esp since I had never actually used it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Reaction score
I got me a BlackBerry curve today off criagslist so I could get grandfathered in with the unlimited data...YAY ME:icon_ banana:...Can't wait to get the Bionic!!!

Saying you got a bb whislt waiting for a bionic is like saying youre waiting on the girl of your dreams... so in the meantime youre banging a fat broad with 6 kids... bleh

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got me a BlackBerry curve today off criagslist so I could get grandfathered in with the unlimited data...YAY ME:icon_ banana:...Can't wait to get the Bionic!!!

Saying you got a bb whislt waiting for a bionic is like saying youre waiting on the girl of your dreams... so in the meantime youre banging a fat broad with 6 kids... bleh

y she got 2 have 6 crumb snatchers?,i just sayin.lol!!!

Reaction score

y she got 2 have 6 crumb snatchers?,i just sayin.lol!!!

Because just banging a big chick isnt enough to describe the jump to BB while waiting for a droid... 6 kids is prolly enough to fulfill the analogy.

rome784

Reaction score

LMAO...Hey, big girls need love too....lol

BlueSami

Reaction score
Ha ha Bout time we see some funny round this place.
I was beginning to thunk it was just a bunch of prudes!