So its come to this...Unlimited Data -or- Bionic

mike02vr6

Reaction score
well lets hope this works, I just bought a used Eris for 50 bux (good working condition everything clears) hope that locks me in to unlimited 3G. Now do I just call VZW over the phone to turn on the 3G? not sure how to do that

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
well lets hope this works, I just bought a used Eris for 50 bux (good working condition everything clears) hope that locks me in to unlimited 3G. Now do I just call VZW over the phone to turn on the 3G? not sure how to do that

I believe there is a way to do it online but I'm sure you can call or go into a store.

mike02vr6

Reaction score
yeah the guy is sending it out tomorrow priority mail, so I will have it in a few days plenty of time to figure it out.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I am a little confused about this "grandfathered" in stuff.

So you buy a phone with unlimited 3G, and then if I were to get the bionic, id have unlimited 4G?

Reaction score
Exactly. For example, both my wife and I currently have unlimited data with our droidso using 3g. When get upgrade comes in november, she will be able to upgrade to a 4g or whatever and keep unlimited data. Verizon had started that they will only use the tiered data plans for new customers. However, even tho my wife and I will be grandfathered in, my daughter will not be because get phone is not a smart phone and she does not have a data plan. If I wanted to upgrade gets to a 4g in a couple years, get phone would be on the tiered data plan while my wife and I would still get unlimited.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
K

KenjiWB

Reaction score
So I wonder, what is the absolute cheapest smartphone I could get to cheat the system? An old droid will still run about $100..

OP
K

KenjiWB

Reaction score
Ugh...so after a few hours of searching eBay, Craigslist, etc for what is nothing more than a 'filler' phone (for a still ridiculous price), I feel absolutely disgusted with the current situation that I've forced myself into.

In what is solely an effort to beat Verizon at their upcoming game of impending tiered data, I've actually allowed myself to even CONSIDER paying money for a phone with a broken screen, gawd I feel dirty...

Through this Unlimited Data Journey, I don't even feel like a customer anymore, but a beggar or opportunist, like I'm doing something wrong, can't believe that pending circumstances have convinced me to go through with this.

Last edited:

tkuligowski

Reaction score
I talked to another person at Verizon today and was told the same thing. unlimited plan is an unlimited plan. So if you have a feature phone or whatever you have as long as you have an unlimited plan you would not be forced to change to a tier plan when you upgrade.

OP
K

KenjiWB

Reaction score
I talked to another person at Verizon today and was told the same thing. unlimited plan is an unlimited plan. So if you have a feature phone or whatever you have as long as you have an unlimited plan you would not be forced to change to a tier plan when you upgrade.

I wish this was true, but according to this:

More on Verizon’s Tiered Data Plans and How Long You Get to Stay Unlimited - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

"...for those of you with feature phone lines that have unlimited data - it’s looking like you won’t be so fortunate come July 7 and thereafter. Even if you have an unlimited plan on a “dumb” phone at this time, it apparently will not carry over to a new smartphone plan should you upgrade after the 6th. You’ll have to choose a tier if you decide to upgrade to a 3G or 4G smartphone."

tkuligowski

Reaction score

More on Verizon’s Tiered Data Plans and How Long You Get to Stay Unlimited - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

"...for those of you with feature phone lines that have unlimited data - it’s looking like you won’t be so fortunate come July 7 and thereafter. Even if you have an unlimited plan on a “dumb” phone at this time, it apparently will not carry over to a new smartphone plan should you upgrade after the 6th. You’ll have to choose a tier if you decide to upgrade to a 3G or 4G smartphone."

I read that too. I'm not sure what to think..I've talked to two representatives who have have said the same thing. I don't know what I want to do..I'm trying to wait for the bionic.

spider210

Reaction score

I read that too. I'm not sure what to think..I've talked to two representatives who have have said the same thing. I don't know what I want to do..I'm trying to wait for the bionic.

If you have a feature phone with unlimited data you will NOT be grandfathered jesus people

Sent from my DROIDX