So its come to this...Unlimited Data -or- Bionic

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by KenjiWB, Jun 23, 2011.

1. tkuligowski

tkuligowski New Member

You seem irritated. Ive asked three verizon CSR who have said the same thing. Who can you trust a 3rd party internet sight that posts rumors..or the source? Not sure why you would be irritated just because people are skeptical and want to know the facts..not just rumors or something posted on a forum or blog.
  2. tkuligowski

tkuligowski New Member

Another twist to add to it is I have a "multimedia phone 3g phone" an Envtouch..not sure if that changes anything either.
  3. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

I would trust the leaked email over a sales rep. In my experience, they are always the last to know... apart from the ones who are all geeked out like us.

Regardless, I've been on a smartphone unlimited data plan for over five years. I'm grandfathered no matter what. If unlimited gets lost when upgrading, I'll just buy a phone off contract and pay the activation fee.

Bionic, I shall have thee.

*customized tapatalk signature*
  4. spider210

spider210 Member

You will NOT BE GRANDFATHERED!

Sent from my DROIDX
  5. berfles

berfles New Member

I'm thinking of trying this... I have never owned a smartphone and decided to finally get one, but then I read about all this tier BS and it put a deadline on me as far as which phone I decide on.

I've been looking at various carriers and there isn't a single one with a decent plan now. Sprint has an ok plan for data I think, but their phones aren't that great. I'm trying to stay nwith the $70 a month plan Verizon had for unlimited data, that's about the most I want to pay.

Anyway, if I had to pick a phone that is currently out it would probably be the Atrix, hence why I was waiting for the Bionic. Now I also need to find a "filler" phone and try the above, hopefully it will work since I'm clueless with phones, plans, and Best Buy's offerings.

I'm so confused at what to do.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  6. Suuperflie

Suuperflie New Member

From what I understand, you'll be grandfathered as long as you have an unlimited pkg now. So, if you just have bunlimited 3g you will keep unlimited even if you change to a 4g phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  7. jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008 New Member

That's what I think too... Though I emailed Verizon CS and they have no idea... So to be safe I got a Thunderbolt lol. OP should get an LTE just in case...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  8. Walker231T

Walker231T New Member

I too have been holding out for a Bionic but became worried when I saw the tiered package stuff come about. I'm currently using an X and was waiting for the Bonic but I'm willing to upgrade if I need to just incase they pull the 3G to 4g stuff as being different. So I went to my local Verizon store today and SPECIFICALLY asked that if switching from a 3G phone to a 4G phone after the 7/7 cut off date...."will I be able to keep my unlimited data??" And they said YES! He sited the employee email that Verizon sent out, that he had in his hand.

He specifically pointed to these 2 points in the memo:

1. If you have Verizon's $29.99 unlimited data plan, you'll be able to keep it after July 7.

2. You'll also be able to keep the $29.99 unlimited plan when you upgrade to a new phone. (No word on if there's a pricing difference or when that policy could change.)

So I asked him about the difference about different sku #'s in the system for 3G & 4G and he said that would make NO difference. As of right now Verizon does not make any distinction between their data other than the different sku's. I then asked if he could call Corporate to confirm this and also log to my account that I was here and asked about it just to CMA. He didn't seem really happy about doing it but he did. He even handed me the phone to talk with the person on the other end and confirm what he was saying. I told him I didn't think he was lying or anything but I wanted it on the record so if Verizon tried to pull anything when I upgrade in 2012, I had it noted. He said I was about the 100th person that had been in today asking that same exact question with the same exact scenario. I told him Verizon needs to make a public statement about this so people will know exactly what is going on.

So I'll be riding it out with my X until the Bonic comes out. If they try to pull any crap on me I am on record at the store. And if they still refuse to keep me unlimited....I'll just jump to Sprint.
  9. tkuligowski

tkuligowski New Member

is there a reason you are so certain about this besides reading an article on droid life?
  10. DoctorDeDroid

DoctorDeDroid New Member

That's GREAT news. I've been holding out for the bionic as well, and when I read the post leaked doc about the tiered plans etc. It looked promising. If you read it as a reasonable human being, that is exactly the conclusion you'd come to. However, were talking the biz world here. It's very nice to get it from the horses' mouth. There *is* reason to hope! Now if we can get it without that darn blur, no bloatware and an unlocked bootloader... ;-)
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  11. spider210

spider210 Member

Internet blog not worth my job...

Sent from my DROIDX
  12. tkuligowski

tkuligowski New Member

so can I assume you work for verizon and know what your talking about then? Just looking for credibility here. I would not be suprised at all if this stuff is all true and the csr's I talked too have no idea what they are talking about. I just wish i could get a concrete answer with proof so I can plan accordingly!!
  13. Walker231T

Walker231T New Member

Let's hope it holds true and Big Red doesn't decide call an audible and change the rules on us. I would hate to leave Verizon, been with them since early 2000's I love their service, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Hopefully they will take care of their loyal customers.

I second that!
  14. gmtekk

gmtekk New Member

just for the record i just got back and stopped at 3 verizon stores. and they all told me the same thing. if you already have the unlimited plan you will be grandfathered into it. unless you add a line or open a new contract.
  15. JerseyFirefighter

JerseyFirefighter New Member

Call vzw and confirm it yourself... If nothing else record the convo, and if you get screwed complain that you have audio of the rep telling you otherwise... youre a single drop in a vast verizon ocean. They will fix their mistake just to shut you up.
  16. haproot

haproot New Member

The salespeople will say anything to get you to upgrade now.
  17. tkuligowski

tkuligowski New Member

I e-mailed Verizon and I went in and talked to a store manager today. I finally got a different reply and probably the actual truth. Both people said that feature phone unlimited data plans and smartphone data plans have different codes and my feature phone plan would NOT be grandfathered in when I upgrade to a smart phone. So it was good to get some actual proof now as I have been skeptical cause I hear one thing from verizon and another from the msg board, blogs, news sites.

This really sucks though..I think I'm going to upgrade to a Droid X2 now before July 7th cause the Bionic won't be out. Guess if I really want a bionic Ill have to sell the Droid x2 and buy a Bionic for retail price...My other option is the charge..it seems to be the only decent 4g phone currently.
  18. berfles

berfles New Member

I'm buying the X2 on July 6th, if the Bionic comes out before the 30 days return window from Best Buy I'll return it and pay the difference for the Bionic.
  19. Xerrus

Xerrus New Member

Thought it was only a 14-day return window now...?
  20. berfles

berfles New Member

15 days is from Verizon, Best Buy still has 30 days.
Search tags for this page

can i delete vaultservice without affecting my phone

can you upgrade your bionic with unlimited data