So its come to this...Unlimited Data -or- Bionic

Beka27

Reaction score
Get a phone off ebay or Craigslist and you dont have to worry about wasting your upgrade thats what I did.

+1 ^^^^^ THIS

No contract exstention, still get a discounted (not full retail) bionic and get unlimited data. Get an og Droid for around 100.00 bucks, its worth it!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Absolutely! You'll be very disappointed in your bionic if you can't use it to the fullest.

Reaction score
I would get any phone to get grandfathered in. You can allay use the upgrade option later. or if possible get your wife to upgrade her phone then activate her old phone as yours until the bonic comes out. Makes you look like the good guy. Here hun you upgrade yours 1st

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Yeah... buy a cheap used pos smartphone and put unlim data on it... come upgrade getyour bionic

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

DroidRS

Reaction score
If you have a 3g phone with an unlimited data plan, that still counts for being 'grandfathered in' if you buy a 4g phone after the July cutoff for unlimited data, right?

Edit: After browsing other topics on these forums, I was able to find the answer in several places. Data is data so all current smartphones with unlimited data will be grandfathered in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can try what I'm going to try. Wait until july 6th to get a new 4g phone. Wait until the 30days are up on the return policy to see if a new phone comes out. If it doesn't well you have a 4g phone on an ulimited data plan at least.

Sent from my d1 Charge using DroidForums
To bad that they switched it to 14 day period instead of a month. Thats why I think the bionic will drop around July 28 (it would b e 21 days...just long enough to screw us.)

Yeah that's what I've heard. I was being hopeful to see if it was 30 days. My plan B is get upgraded to 4g with charge until 15days in and then return it going back my og droid and wait until sgs2 or bionic to come. Then I can really use my upgrade ;) my only flaw is that they would rewrite my contract to 3g and I would get hosed.

Sent from my d1 Charge using DroidForums

jayman350

Reaction score
Buy an OG DROID off of ebay or craigslist and then upgrade to unlimited data before the 7th.
Its still a decent phone and you can get custom roms

I was going to use an early upgrade if we weren't going to be able to get unlimited 4g with the upgrade phone after the 7th, from what I have read I should be able to wait for the bionic.

tkuligowski

Reaction score
what do you guys think of this? I was on the phone with a verizon CSR today and asked about being grandfathered in with my current phone Envtouch and being able to get a smartphone when I can upgrade in august with unlimited data. When I bought my phone it was labeled a "multimedia" phone and not a smart phone. He says that unlimited data is unlimited data and theres not a seperate data package for a smartphone. I want to make this sure this is absolutely correct!! I don't want to wait till august and then try to upgrade and have verizon say...your unlimited data is for a feature phone and doesn't apply to a smartphone!

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Spoke to Verizon today as I currently have a Droid X and an iPhone 4...at this point, the only way to guarantee that you are grandfathered for unlimited 4G is to have unlimited 4G service prior to them going to their new tiered plans. The two people I spoke with could not say whether or not in the future if I upgrade to a 4G device if I will be grandfathered, regardless of the fact I will be grandfathered for my 3G device.

On a side note, something to keep in mind, with the new cloud based services coming soon...I think data usage is going to skyrocket...I am really thinking about just getting the cheapest 4G device just so I can be grandfathered.

BlueSami

Reaction score
Spoke to Verizon today as I currently have a Droid X and an iPhone 4...at this point, the only way to guarantee that you are grandfathered for unlimited 4G is to have unlimited 4G service prior to them going to their new tiered plans. The two people I spoke with could not say whether or not in the future if I upgrade to a 4G device if I will be grandfathered, regardless of the fact I will be grandfathered for my 3G device.

On a side note, something to keep in mind, with the new cloud based services coming soon...I think data usage is going to skyrocket...I am really thinking about just getting the cheapest 4G device just so I can be grandfathered.

If this is true how do I get a 4g plan now!

dieselpowered

Reaction score

If this is true how do I get a 4g plan now!

Buy a 4G device...problem is, I do not want any of the 4G devices out there right now.

BlueSami

Reaction score
There are only two on the market!

I do think its funny all the people who are falling for the 3g/4g are the same today, bit.

You have to know that's going to be the catch when the bionic drops.

Beka27

Reaction score
If I were you, I would call back tomorrow and ask another CSR. Then call back again on Saturday and speak to a 3rd person. Everything I am hearing is pointing to the feature phone data being different than smartphone data.

dieselpowered

Reaction score
If I were you, I would call back tomorrow and ask another CSR. Then call back again on Saturday and speak to a 3rd person. Everything I am hearing is pointing to the feature phone data being different than smartphone data.

It absolutely is.

droidbio

Reaction score
I've been obsessed with this Droid Bionic phone for about 5 months (I was interested after CES).
I was thinking tonight how much time I am wasting on it.

I feel like we need to hire spies from Burn Notice if we could just get Michael and Phoebe into the Verizon vault we could find out all of the information we've been speculating about for months.

My new plan.... I am going to wait until Wednesday and if we are still debating 4g/3g grandfather's and we still have no clue about the Bionic Droid release date..... I am going to Costco and buy a Droid Charge for $179.00

By the way... I called Verizon and asked them about their price $300 and Costco $179. The kid on the phone said.."man if you get a better deal..just take it." I thought they would at least match it.

And then I will get on with my life.
;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
K

KenjiWB

Reaction score
Yea Ive been a bit disenchanted by the Bionic in light of the new plans, so I may just buy a Revolution...who knows, I'll think it over for another week or so..

jayman350

Reaction score
I've been obsessed with this Droid Bionic phone for about 5 months (I was interested after CES).
I was thinking tonight how much time I am wasting on it.

I feel like we need to hire spies from Burn Notice if we could just get Michael and Phoebe into the Verizon vault we could find out all of the information we've been speculating about for months.

You mean Fiona... not Phoebe. Man I mistake like that would get you a trunk full of C4.

I love Burn Notice, such a fun show.