So its come to this...Unlimited Data -or- Bionic

tkuligowski

Reaction score
I wish this was true, but according to this:

More on Verizon’s Tiered Data Plans and How Long You Get to Stay Unlimited - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

"...for those of you with feature phone lines that have unlimited data - it’s looking like you won’t be so fortunate come July 7 and thereafter. Even if you have an unlimited plan on a “dumb” phone at this time, it apparently will not carry over to a new smartphone plan should you upgrade after the 6th. You’ll have to choose a tier if you decide to upgrade to a 3G or 4G smartphone."

I read that too. I'm not sure what to think..I've talked to two representatives who have have said the same thing. I don't know what I want to do..I'm trying to wait for the bionic.

If you have a feature phone with unlimited data you will NOT be grandfathered jesus people

Sent from my DROIDX

You seem irritated. Ive asked three verizon CSR who have said the same thing. Who can you trust a 3rd party internet sight that posts rumors..or the source? Not sure why you would be irritated just because people are skeptical and want to know the facts..not just rumors or something posted on a forum or blog.

tkuligowski

Reaction score
Another twist to add to it is I have a "multimedia phone 3g phone" an Envtouch..not sure if that changes anything either.

Oxymoron

Reaction score
Ive asked three verizon CSR who have said the same thing. Who can you trust a 3rd party internet sight that posts rumors..or the source?
I would trust the leaked email over a sales rep. In my experience, they are always the last to know... apart from the ones who are all geeked out like us.

Regardless, I've been on a smartphone unlimited data plan for over five years. I'm grandfathered no matter what. If unlimited gets lost when upgrading, I'll just buy a phone off contract and pay the activation fee.

Bionic, I shall have thee.

*customized tapatalk signature*

berfles

Reaction score
Get a phone on contract on July 6th from BEST BUY WITH UNLIMITED DATA!!! This way, you will have 30 days to return the phone if the Bionic comes within that time. You will be locked into a contract with Verizon after the 14th day, but you will have 2 extra weeks to return the phone beyond Verizon's 14 days, and still get a phone at promotional prices. This is probably your best shot at getting the phone with unlimited data. The other route would be to get any phone with unlimited data between now and the 7th and just buy the phone at full price whenever it comes out.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

I'm thinking of trying this... I have never owned a smartphone and decided to finally get one, but then I read about all this tier BS and it put a deadline on me as far as which phone I decide on.

I've been looking at various carriers and there isn't a single one with a decent plan now. Sprint has an ok plan for data I think, but their phones aren't that great. I'm trying to stay nwith the $70 a month plan Verizon had for unlimited data, that's about the most I want to pay.

Anyway, if I had to pick a phone that is currently out it would probably be the Atrix, hence why I was waiting for the Bionic. Now I also need to find a "filler" phone and try the above, hopefully it will work since I'm clueless with phones, plans, and Best Buy's offerings.

I'm so confused at what to do.

Last edited:

Suuperflie

Reaction score
From what I understand, you'll be grandfathered as long as you have an unlimited pkg now. So, if you just have bunlimited 3g you will keep unlimited even if you change to a 4g phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
From what I understand, you'll be grandfathered as long as you have an unlimited pkg now. So, if you just have bunlimited 3g you will keep unlimited even if you change to a 4g phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

That's what I think too... Though I emailed Verizon CS and they have no idea... So to be safe I got a Thunderbolt lol. OP should get an LTE just in case...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Walker231T

Reaction score
I too have been holding out for a Bionic but became worried when I saw the tiered package stuff come about. I'm currently using an X and was waiting for the Bonic but I'm willing to upgrade if I need to just incase they pull the 3G to 4g stuff as being different. So I went to my local Verizon store today and SPECIFICALLY asked that if switching from a 3G phone to a 4G phone after the 7/7 cut off date...."will I be able to keep my unlimited data??" And they said YES! He sited the employee email that Verizon sent out, that he had in his hand.

He specifically pointed to these 2 points in the memo:

1. If you have Verizon's $29.99 unlimited data plan, you'll be able to keep it after July 7.

2. You'll also be able to keep the $29.99 unlimited plan when you upgrade to a new phone. (No word on if there's a pricing difference or when that policy could change.)

So I asked him about the difference about different sku #'s in the system for 3G & 4G and he said that would make NO difference. As of right now Verizon does not make any distinction between their data other than the different sku's. I then asked if he could call Corporate to confirm this and also log to my account that I was here and asked about it just to CMA. He didn't seem really happy about doing it but he did. He even handed me the phone to talk with the person on the other end and confirm what he was saying. I told him I didn't think he was lying or anything but I wanted it on the record so if Verizon tried to pull anything when I upgrade in 2012, I had it noted. He said I was about the 100th person that had been in today asking that same exact question with the same exact scenario. I told him Verizon needs to make a public statement about this so people will know exactly what is going on.

So I'll be riding it out with my X until the Bonic comes out. If they try to pull any crap on me I am on record at the store. And if they still refuse to keep me unlimited....I'll just jump to Sprint.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
I too have been holding out for a Bionic but became worried when I saw the tiered package stuff come about. I'm currently using an X and was waiting for the Bonic but I'm willing to upgrade if I need to just incase they pull the 3G to 4g stuff as being different. So I went to my local Verizon store today and SPECIFICALLY asked that if switching from a 3G phone to a 4G phone after the 7/7 cut off date...."will I be able to keep my unlimited data??" And they said YES! He sited the employee email that Verizon sent out, that he had in his hand.

He specifically pointed to these 2 points in the memo:

1. If you have Verizon's $29.99 unlimited data plan, you'll be able to keep it after July 7.

2. You'll also be able to keep the $29.99 unlimited plan when you upgrade to a new phone. (No word on if there's a pricing difference or when that policy could change.)

So I asked him about the difference about different sku #'s in the system for 3G & 4G and he said that would make NO difference. As of right now Verizon does not make any distinction between their data other than the different sku's. I then asked if he could call Corporate to confirm this and also log to my account that I was here and asked about it just to CMA. He didn't seem really happy about doing it but he did. He even handed me the phone to talk with the person on the other end and confirm what he was saying. I told him I didn't think he was lying or anything but I wanted it on the record so if Verizon tried to pull anything when I upgrade in 2012, I had it noted. He said I was about the 100th person that had been in today asking that same exact question with the same exact scenario. I told him Verizon needs to make a public statement about this so people will know exactly what is going on.

So I'll be riding it out with my X until the Bonic comes out. If they try to pull any crap on me I am on record at the store. And if they still refuse to keep me unlimited....I'll just jump to Sprint.

That's GREAT news. I've been holding out for the bionic as well, and when I read the post leaked doc about the tiered plans etc. It looked promising. If you read it as a reasonable human being, that is exactly the conclusion you'd come to. However, were talking the biz world here. It's very nice to get it from the horses' mouth. There *is* reason to hope! Now if we can get it without that darn blur, no bloatware and an unlocked bootloader... ;-)

Last edited:

spider210

Reaction score

tkuligowski

Reaction score
You will NOT BE GRANDFATHERED!

Sent from my DROIDX

is there a reason you are so certain about this besides reading an article on droid life?

Internet blog not worth my job...

Sent from my DROIDX

so can I assume you work for verizon and know what your talking about then? Just looking for credibility here. I would not be suprised at all if this stuff is all true and the csr's I talked too have no idea what they are talking about. I just wish i could get a concrete answer with proof so I can plan accordingly!!

Walker231T

Reaction score
That's GREAT news. I've been holding out for the bionic as well, and when I read the post leaked doc about the tiered plans etc. It looked promising. If you read it as a reasonable human being, that is exactly the conclusion you'd come to. However, were talking the biz world here. It's very nice to get it from the horses' mouth. There *is* reason to hope! Now if we can get it without that darn blur, no bloatware and an unlocked bootloader... ;-)

Let's hope it holds true and Big Red doesn't decide call an audible and change the rules on us. I would hate to leave Verizon, been with them since early 2000's I love their service, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Hopefully they will take care of their loyal customers.

Now if we can get it without that darn blur, no bloatware and an unlocked bootloader... ;-)

I second that!

gmtekk

Reaction score
just for the record i just got back and stopped at 3 verizon stores. and they all told me the same thing. if you already have the unlimited plan you will be grandfathered into it. unless you add a line or open a new contract.

Reaction score
Call vzw and confirm it yourself... If nothing else record the convo, and if you get screwed complain that you have audio of the rep telling you otherwise... youre a single drop in a vast verizon ocean. They will fix their mistake just to shut you up.