So I returned my Nexus...long Story!

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by mekanism, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kbuck13

kbuck13 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too am in the proses of returning my Nexus, Love the phone it was exactly what I expected. As for the plastic issue that everyone brings up think Lexan, if you ever tried to break or smash it with a hammer you would be thinking that this is some tuff ****. Not saying that the phone is made from this just a point about plastic being inferior.
    My issues were mostly noise cancelation in my work environment I could most always hear everyone but for the people on the other end it was static and broken up. I also experienced numerous dropped calls; yes some happened during Verizon’s technical difficulties but also when running on CDMA only. So I do not have a choice to keep it or not as it only functions the best at home and I need a phone that can serve me nearly everywhere.

2. blackterry

blackterry Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I feel your pain bro.... I had droid X and switched to GN.. Lasted about a week and got sick of dropped calls, crappy coverage and had to return it .. I loved my X but I love my new Razr twice as much !!

• Like Like x 2
  3. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,671
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Sorry it didn't work out for ya. I've never had signal issues myself but I know its a known problem with many units.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    I have to admit that the reception has been pretty impressive for me. A 30 minute drive through an area with spotty 3G service streamed Pandora via BT to my car radio without missing anything. And it only used about 5% of battery while doing this.

5. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Current Phone Model:
    NEXUS 6
    OP,

Reading your post was like deja vu for me.

A month ago I went with someone to Canton. On our way there we hit a stretch of highway where I had NO DATA. I assumed it was just my Bionic, but nothing I did got data back. Battery pulls, resetting, restart connection, toggle airplane, and going from LTE/CDMA to CDMA Only. I just had to wait it out. Eventually it came back, and everything was fine.

Till we started coming back. Once we hit that same stretch of highway I lost data again. I started getting suspicious since it was the same area again. So I asked to see the person I was with DX. His X had full working 3G.

So OP I don't think you NEXUS was fully to blame for the data. I think it was a combination of network and what not.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

6. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Your problem is a combination of the 4G network dying over and over and ICS being brand new.

Either that or you had a defective unit.

Your Droid X worked because it's on 3G and has an OS that's been updated a dozen times over a year.

7. Googleaddict

Googleaddict Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I returned my Galaxy Nexus too and am back to using my iPhone 4. It was a nice phone don't get me wrong. But I can't use a phone that can barely last 10 hours with minimal use. I open the browser for 5 minutes and the battery's down 6 percent. This was with gummynex underclocked AND juice defender... The signal sucks too. Plus the screen isn't what I thought. Text is extremely jagged and you have to have maximum brightness for the whole screen not to look grainy and full of vertical lines. Camera is terrible also. Until a new battery technology is out I'm staying away from these 4G LTE super phones..

8. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Sucks to hear you've been having problems. Personally I'm having none and get 4g just about anywhere and it never drops. Well, minus those 3g/4g outages we've had twice now.

Sadly, results very. Get the phone that suits your needs. However, I'm loving this phone. :).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

9. GoBears

GoBears Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Not we and us dude... You... My phone like hundreds of thousands of others are perfectly fine. Did you really expect zero bugs in a brand new OS? I love my GNex and wouldn't trade it for any other phone on any carrier.

EDIT: By the way the GNex has so far exceeded my expectations and I'm not the only one that feels that way.

10. aphexx2

aphexx2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I returned my Galaxy Nexus as well mostly for the reasons already listed by others. I just didn't feel like I was getting my money's worth and several things were a step back from my OG Droid (not saying the Nexus is worse than the OG).

Pros:
    • Screen resolution - My next phone will have to have this resolution, it's almost as high as the common resolution of most laptops (1280x720 vs 1366x768)!
    • Felt nice in the hand, build quality seemed good to me
    • Fast (usually)
    • ICS is an improvement. I like the app switcher/task manager and the gallery app is a big improvement from the overly flashy 3D gallery in android 2. I wish they would integrate the power widget in the drop down like in many of the custom roms out there.
    Cons:
    • I didn't like the pentile display for the same reasons as Googleaddict above listed (non-crisp text, poor quality at low brightness). My entire screen also had pink and green tints in various areas.
    • Reception issues. Sometimes data would just stop working out of no where - even when I was not moving. 1 dropped call out of only a few calls that I made. Although this seemed to improve the last few days that I had the device.
    • Battery. This also seemed to improve after about 9 days of using the device. However, there were times where I'd go to sleep with 80% battery and wake up with the phone off (battery dead).
    • Although the build quality was good, the phone still felt fragile and it worried me. I.e. the phone feels well put together but the materials don't seem durable.
    • I started seeing some slow down during transitions. This also worried me considering that I didn't have many apps installed and owned the phone for less than 2 weeks.
    • Speakers not loud enough and vibration too weak, I missed several calls because I couldn't hear the ringer even when I had the volume at max.
    • Camera was really poor. Using Camera Zoom FX instead of stock camera improved things, but the quality was still as bad than my OG Droid. A lot of people say not to expect much from a phone's camera, but on a $650 device, I expect better than this - and I at least expect it to compete with older phones.
    Some of these things I knew about before purchasing and I was willing to live with them. But with the problems I couldn't see in the store, and the cost, I decided to return the phone.

11. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +343
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
    My phone has been great as well. If you really like a phone, keep exchanging it until you get a good one. There is plenty of proof that a bug free phone can be had. When I bought my Samsung tv a couple of years ago, there were people on the forum that went through 3 to 4 before they got a good one.

12. aphexx2

aphexx2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tired to exchange my phone in the VZW store, but they would not do it. He said they have to do a factory reset and if I still have the same problems I can exchange it. I told him a factory reset would not fix the pink/green tint on my screen and he said since he couldn't see this issue, he couldn't do anything about it. I let him do the factory reset but at that point I was mad and decided I'd most likely just return the phone in a few days. I didn't want to have to deal with going back and forth to the vzw store. Even when I was buying the phone they were rude. Luckily, the guy I got when I did the return was nice and I convinced him to give me the restocking fee back as credit on my next bill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

galaxy nexus in san diego