So I returned my Nexus...long Story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that the reception has been pretty impressive for me. A 30 minute drive through an area with spotty 3G service streamed Pandora via BT to my car radio without missing anything. And it only used about 5% of battery while doing this.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
OP,

Reading your post was like deja vu for me.

A month ago I went with someone to Canton. On our way there we hit a stretch of highway where I had NO DATA. I assumed it was just my Bionic, but nothing I did got data back. Battery pulls, resetting, restart connection, toggle airplane, and going from LTE/CDMA to CDMA Only. I just had to wait it out. Eventually it came back, and everything was fine.

Till we started coming back. Once we hit that same stretch of highway I lost data again. I started getting suspicious since it was the same area again. So I asked to see the person I was with DX. His X had full working 3G.

So OP I don't think you NEXUS was fully to blame for the data. I think it was a combination of network and what not.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your problem is a combination of the 4G network dying over and over and ICS being brand new.

Either that or you had a defective unit.

Your Droid X worked because it's on 3G and has an OS that's been updated a dozen times over a year.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I returned my Galaxy Nexus too and am back to using my iPhone 4. It was a nice phone don't get me wrong. But I can't use a phone that can barely last 10 hours with minimal use. I open the browser for 5 minutes and the battery's down 6 percent. This was with gummynex underclocked AND juice defender... The signal sucks too. Plus the screen isn't what I thought. Text is extremely jagged and you have to have maximum brightness for the whole screen not to look grainy and full of vertical lines. Camera is terrible also. Until a new battery technology is out I'm staying away from these 4G LTE super phones..

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sucks to hear you've been having problems. Personally I'm having none and get 4g just about anywhere and it never drops. Well, minus those 3g/4g outages we've had twice now.

Sadly, results very. Get the phone that suits your needs. However, I'm loving this phone. :).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

GoBears

Reaction score
The fact is we are paying $300 for a phone that doesnt do what is advertised. Lets be honest here, Samsung isnt known for the greatest hardware, the phone is all plastic, the camera cant take a clear photo to save its life and ICS is just as buggy as gingerbread. Sorry but Google and Samsung have let us all down with this phone. I didnt mean for this to turn into a rant but I'm sick and tired of being a Beta tester. Yes the 4g is great! Yes the Screen is awesome! But no 3g when there is clearly a good signal from another phone! I give this phone a "COME ON MAN!!".

Not we and us dude... You... My phone like hundreds of thousands of others are perfectly fine. Did you really expect zero bugs in a brand new OS? I love my GNex and wouldn't trade it for any other phone on any carrier.

EDIT: By the way the GNex has so far exceeded my expectations and I'm not the only one that feels that way.

aphexx2

Reaction score
I returned my Galaxy Nexus as well mostly for the reasons already listed by others. I just didn't feel like I was getting my money's worth and several things were a step back from my OG Droid (not saying the Nexus is worse than the OG).

Pros:
  • Screen resolution - My next phone will have to have this resolution, it's almost as high as the common resolution of most laptops (1280x720 vs 1366x768)!
  • Felt nice in the hand, build quality seemed good to me
  • Fast (usually)
  • ICS is an improvement. I like the app switcher/task manager and the gallery app is a big improvement from the overly flashy 3D gallery in android 2. I wish they would integrate the power widget in the drop down like in many of the custom roms out there.
Cons:
  • I didn't like the pentile display for the same reasons as Googleaddict above listed (non-crisp text, poor quality at low brightness). My entire screen also had pink and green tints in various areas.
  • Reception issues. Sometimes data would just stop working out of no where - even when I was not moving. 1 dropped call out of only a few calls that I made. Although this seemed to improve the last few days that I had the device.
  • Battery. This also seemed to improve after about 9 days of using the device. However, there were times where I'd go to sleep with 80% battery and wake up with the phone off (battery dead).
  • Although the build quality was good, the phone still felt fragile and it worried me. I.e. the phone feels well put together but the materials don't seem durable.
  • I started seeing some slow down during transitions. This also worried me considering that I didn't have many apps installed and owned the phone for less than 2 weeks.
  • Speakers not loud enough and vibration too weak, I missed several calls because I couldn't hear the ringer even when I had the volume at max.
  • Camera was really poor. Using Camera Zoom FX instead of stock camera improved things, but the quality was still as bad than my OG Droid. A lot of people say not to expect much from a phone's camera, but on a $650 device, I expect better than this - and I at least expect it to compete with older phones.
Some of these things I knew about before purchasing and I was willing to live with them. But with the problems I couldn't see in the store, and the cost, I decided to return the phone.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
My phone has been great as well. If you really like a phone, keep exchanging it until you get a good one. There is plenty of proof that a bug free phone can be had. When I bought my Samsung tv a couple of years ago, there were people on the forum that went through 3 to 4 before they got a good one.

aphexx2

Reaction score
I tired to exchange my phone in the VZW store, but they would not do it. He said they have to do a factory reset and if I still have the same problems I can exchange it. I told him a factory reset would not fix the pink/green tint on my screen and he said since he couldn't see this issue, he couldn't do anything about it. I let him do the factory reset but at that point I was mad and decided I'd most likely just return the phone in a few days. I didn't want to have to deal with going back and forth to the vzw store. Even when I was buying the phone they were rude. Luckily, the guy I got when I did the return was nice and I convinced him to give me the restocking fee back as credit on my next bill.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Camera was really poor. Using Camera Zoom FX instead of stock camera improved things, but the quality was still as bad or worse than my OG Droid. A lot of people say not to expect much from a phone's camera, but on a $650 device, I expect better than this - and I at least expect it to compete with older phones.

You completely lost me here, there is nothing worse than the OG camera. The Nexus camera laughs at the OG camera.

blackterry

Reaction score
I tired to exchange my phone in the VZW store, but they would not do it. He said they have to do a factory reset and if I still have the same problems I can exchange it. I told him a factory reset would not fix the pink/green tint on my screen and he said since he couldn't see this issue, he couldn't do anything about it. I let him do the factory reset but at that point I was mad and decided I'd most likely just return the phone in a few days. I didn't want to have to deal with going back and forth to the vzw store. Even when I was buying the phone they were rude. Luckily, the guy I got when I did the return was nice and I convinced him to give me the restocking fee back as credit on my next bill.

That sux they treated you like that.. When I returned my GN they had my new Razr up in running in 10 min and I was out the door with a big smile on my face !!

GoBears

Reaction score
You completely lost me here, there is nothing worse than the OG camera. The Nexus camera laughs at the OG camera.

Clearly nothing more than a hater comment. This camera is awesome, I love it.

aphexx2

Reaction score

I believe you, and I've seen many good Nexus photos posted (at least good when not viewed at 100%). I looked over my photos again, and maybe I was hasty in saying "or worse" but in my case, it's not better than my Droid camera. Maybe I got an exceptionally bad camera? Video is certainly better on the Nexus.

kimintenn

Reaction score

I believe you, and I've seen many good Nexus photos posted (at least good when not viewed at 100%). I looked over my photos again, and maybe I was hasty in saying "or worse" but in my case, it's not better than my Droid camera. Maybe I got an exceptionally bad camera? Video is certainly better on the Nexus.
I agree with you aphexx2! I had the original Droid and it took as good if not better pictures than the Nexus, especially when taking pictures of people. The Nexus does great outdoors and perfect lighting and with inanimate objects, but I've been majorly let down with indoor shots of people. Part of the problem is you have to tap the screen to get the green focus box and then try clicking the shoot button without moving any!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with you aphexx2! I had the original Droid and it took as good if not better pictures than the Nexus, especially when taking pictures of people. The Nexus does great outdoors and perfect lighting and with inanimate objects, but I've been majorly let down with indoor shots of people. Part of the problem is you have to tap the screen to get the green focus box and then try clicking the shoot button without moving any!

I dont have a G Nex...but have you tried holding down the shoot button and releasing when ready to take the pic? I tried on my phone and it works like that. Might work for the G Nex.

Status
Not open for further replies.