Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Camera on my Gnex takes great pics. :D To those who are gettting sub par photos are you guys tapping on the screen to focus before taking the pic?

kimintenn

Reaction score
I dont have a G Nex...but have you tried holding down the shoot button and releasing when ready to take the pic? I tried on my phone and it works like that. Might work for the G Nex.
I saw this suggested in another post and I don't think it works... well, at least I can't get the focus box to turn green that way like it does when you tape the screen and wait a second.
Camera on my Gnex takes great pics. :D To those who are gettting sub par photos are you guys tapping on the screen to focus before taking the pic?
Great pics, indoors of people? I agree, great pics outdoors. Originally I wasn't tapping the screen to focus and my pictures were horrendous. Letting it focus definitely improved things. However, I struggle with keeping my hand perfectly still and tapping the screen and then taking the picture.

aphexx2

Reaction score

Worth bringing that up, but yes, I was tapping the area on the screen where I wanted to focus before taking the pic. I got better indoor no-flash results with Camera Zoom FX, but still not what I would call good photos. For good inside photos, flash was pretty much required, even in well lit areas, and the subject had to be close and not moving. Even outside on a sunny day, if the subject was moving at all there was motion blur in the photo. Some of these things can be fixed in software.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Whether some of you (in general and not directed at anyone) want to admit it or not reception issues with the Gnex are real. I am on my second one and it suffers the same issues as the first.

• I struggle to get a signal at home where my Bionic and X get great reception
  • When traveling in a strong 4G area sometimes I can't even get a 3G signal
  • If switched to CDMA/LTE in a 3G area I rarely get a data signal
  • Airplane mode will sometimes restore data when data is lost but it also gets stuck in airplane mode which requires a reboot
  • Data reception just completely drops for no reason which requires a reboot
Yup these are real issues. It may be related to the hardware. It may be all about location. I was in downtown Philly last night and had zero issues with getting a strong 4G and 3G signal. But I don't live near a major metropolitan area. But with the fact that I never had reception issues in my area with my Moto devices, that tells me my particular situation is not location related. Unfortunately for me I am stuck with it. Bought it at Best Buy and already went past my 14 day return window for a full refund and contract reversal. So I have no choice to stick with it and hope that updates will fix what is obviously wrong. I love the phone. I just hate not being able to use it for what it is meant to be used for.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the point is, since some of us don't have the issues, writing off the Nexus because some people have these problems isn't a valid option. There are many of us (the majority who voted in the poll here) who aren't having issues, which is proof that the hardware is fine. I think you're right to say maybe it's the combination of the current software and your location. I think that location has a lot more to do with poor signal with the Nexus than the phone itself.

If it was the phone, we'd all have the same problems. We all don't, therefore there has to be another factor causing the problems.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I think the point is, since some of us don't have the issues, writing off the Nexus because some people have these problems isn't a valid option. There are many of us (the majority who voted in the poll here) who aren't having issues, which is proof that the hardware is fine. I think you're right to say maybe it's the combination of the current software and your location. I think that location has a lot more to do with poor signal with the Nexus than the phone itself.

If it was the phone, we'd all have the same problems. We all don't, therefore there has to be another factor causing the problems.

I tend to agree with this. I have had 0 issues with my Nexus since I got it on launch day. I've had great reception whether 3G or 4G. San Jose, Calfornia.

Caligula2008

Reaction score
These type of threads tend to evoke long unnecessary posts from me. In an effort to keep it short, the camera is awesome when you learn how to use it. Signal has been great. I tweaked battery life so that it runs for much longer now by under clocking drastically when screen's off. Everyone unhappy then must have a defective unit or are just determined not to like the phone.

Advice: Return the phone and get whatever you believe is so much better. The galaxy nexus is NOT for you. Its for the people who are having battery problems and create a thread for trying to brainstorm and come up with solutions. Not for those creating a thread complaining. This is not directed towards the OP just all those unhappy with the phone.

Let me repeat if you are unhappy then it is NOT the phone for you. Just return it and quit complaining so we can spend our times developing the best phone for us and not debating whether or not the phone came packaged perfectly just for you. I know my frustration is coming through and I didn't do too well at keeping it short. Its a developers phone and the possibilities are truly endless. The RAZR or Rezound or iPhone are all better choices if you purchased the phone for any other reason. Goodluck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
mekanism

mekanism

Reaction score
I knew everyone would blame my phone! Denile isn't just a river! I don't have any bugs with the x now. It runs as smooth as butter! I will spend my money on what I think is the best overall experience whether it be from samsung, htc, motorola and god forbid even apple! For $300 I want a device with decent battery life, a smooth os, expandable memory, a great screen and camera and excellent signal. So far the nexus only gives me half of what I want. Dont get me wrong, the gnex is a great device when you actually get good signal, but for me and my own experience good signal has been marginal at best!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Caligula2008

Reaction score
I want a device with decent battery life, a smooth os, expandable memory, a great screen and camera and excellent signal. So far the nexus only gives me half of what I want. Dont get me wrong, the gnex is a great device when you actually get good signal, but for me and my own experience good signal has been marginal at best!
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

By signal I'm guessing you mean 4G data signal and I've yet to see any phone have no 4G signal issues. Everyone wants the best in every category and it just does not work that way. There are trade offs between every spec you mention especially regarding signal, screen, and battery life. The perfect phone is going to cost you way more than 300 dollars. I added a few higher priority requirements to my device - to be able to tweak and customize it exactly to my liking with little to no limitations. This doesn't seem to be your priority so it begs the question as to why you purchased it to begin with knowing there have been LTE issues with every single device.

If you mean cellular signal strength then return the phone. All phones act differently in those regards meaning with the same carrier two different phones may have differing signal strength so you must find whatever works at your house. Its difficult for manufacturers to test antennas before making the device as there are numerous factors involved.

Let us know when you find the phone your looking for. I guess ill be happy in denial...

ppophil

Reaction score
That's just it , people want to buy a phone and have work right out of the box not screw with it downloading and uploading all this stuff which most people don't understand. The nexus has a horrible speaker, a horrible battery and by the way I should not have to tag every email to delete them it takes forever.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

Actually I think the location and hardware go hand in hand. If you live in a fringe area, or an area not right in a metropolitan area and are able to get a strong signal on a different phone but not the Gnex that would say that the hardware is not up to snuff.

Caligula2008

Reaction score
That's just it , people want to buy a phone and have work right out of the box not screw with it downloading and uploading all this stuff which most people don't understand. The nexus has a horrible speaker, a horrible battery and by the way I should not have to tag every email to delete them it takes forever.

Then get a different phone. Battery sucks on every single 4G phone. If you don't like the email app download a new one. Its that simple with the nexus and frankly its a liberty you do not get with most phones. The price people pay for that liberty is little compared to the benefits. If the phone does not suit your needs, get a different phone. You purchased a BRAND NEW OS that has debuted with this phone. There are always going to be software bugs when something new releases... luckily Google has been working on solutions. Because the phone is unlocked I can flash the radios that'll be released in the next patch right now if I had signal issues. The phone definitely "works right out of the box" just not how you would like it to so get another phone.

For me the benefits of ICS far outweigh the drawbacks and I am honestly having trouble understanding because there are complaints about EVERY single phone you can get. Nothing is perfect, nor good enough to satisfy everyone. If it existed we would all have that phone and we would most likely complain anyway.

Bottom line if you think the cons for you outweigh the pros then exchange it. This is not the case for me and I weighed them against every other phone.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Whether some of you (in general and not directed at anyone) want to admit it or not reception issues with the Gnex are real. I am on my second one and it suffers the same issues as the first.
  • I struggle to get a signal at home where my Bionic and X get great reception
  • When traveling in a strong 4G area sometimes I can't even get a 3G signal
  • If switched to CDMA/LTE in a 3G area I rarely get a data signal
  • Airplane mode will sometimes restore data when data is lost but it also gets stuck in airplane mode which requires a reboot
  • Data reception just completely drops for no reason which requires a reboot
Yup these are real issues. It may be related to the hardware. It may be all about location. I was in downtown Philly last night and had zero issues with getting a strong 4G and 3G signal. But I don't live near a major metropolitan area. But with the fact that I never had reception issues in my area with my Moto devices, that tells me my particular situation is not location related. Unfortunately for me I am stuck with it. Bought it at Best Buy and already went past my 14 day return window for a full refund and contract reversal. So I have no choice to stick with it and hope that updates will fix what is obviously wrong. I love the phone. I just hate not being able to use it for what it is meant to be used for.

I understand that there are obviously numerous issues that SOME people may be having, but your personal experiences with those issues certainly doesn't translate into universal "real issues" for every Nexus owner. Its not that most people are denying the issues but more so that a whole lot of us arent having issues at all. Its extremely hard for all Nexus owners to deem the device problematic if not even most Nexus owners are experiencing problems. I guess the issues could be location based, and obviously there's no way to know because I don't plan on traveling to Delaware anytime soon, but I've been across the entire state of North Carolina with my Nexus and I have yet to encounter a single signal issue.

Reaction score
For the gentleman who came all the way across n.c. did you happen to come through Charlotte. I live here& own a gnex& rezound. Right now I have full signal on rezound& cannot make a phone call on gnex. Charlotte has strong 4g coverage. I have pretty much had it with signal& reception issues with this phone. When phone is working its great. I don't think I want to take a chance on this being fixed after my return period.

Status
Not open for further replies.