Continue to be disappointed in my Nexus

poooookah78

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Put the flame throwers down before you read.. :)

I am a long time member, got the OG Droid long ago and loved it... went to the store on Day 1 of release on this phone and at first, all was good, but very soon after, and continuing, the phone disappoints... again and again. I honestly don't expect anything but flames... maybe some nice comments... not looking for solutions, just a place to vent.

Here are the problems,

-Battery goes from 100 to zero in about 5 hours of VERY light activity. - Verizon's solution offered? You guessed it, cough up another 30 bucks for an extended battery.. ummm.. no thanks, I already spend hundreds on this phone and expect it to work. I can go all day with the 4g/3g radio turned off, but wtf is the point then?

-Light Flow App needs to be run stock in order to know if you've got a message or not

-Phone is HOT - all the time... had to turn one in because it was 140 degrees F - got it replaced

-Dropped calls - AT LEAST 5 per week... and I lose signal in my house, 3 seconds later, the 4g will have 3 bars... wtf? I have taken it to VZW but of course can't duplicate it in the store...

-Screen keeps turning itself on now... this started happening a week ago. I'll hit the bar at the top right to close the screen... then a second later, it opens the home screen with the lock icon ready for me to swipe... so, now my battery will go from 100 to zero in about 1.5 hours... fun!

A few more, but these are the issues that have rendered this "powerhouse" useless to me... I have to keep it plugged up at all times, haven't had the phone for a year yet and this crap keeps happening....

Anyone else experiencing stuff like this?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I get around 3 hours screen on over 12-15 hours on all 4G...sounds like you have either an app that is constantly keeping your phone awake or you have a bad battery. As for your signal dropping, I used to have the same problem until the JB radios. I have not dropped in so long. I can't even remember the last time. Are you sure you have the latest radios installed? They should be FF02 and FG02. You can find that information on your baseband info from the about phone screen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

WookieClaws

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are having issues... vent heard.

I'm not seeing that behavior at all. I typically get about 2 hours screen on time with 4G on while I use it (I turn my data off when I'm not); plus listening to music quite a bit throughout the day. Phone lasts me about 10-12 hours before I have to swap a battery or put it on a charger. I picked up a spare battery and that helped with things a lot. I now just use my phone but I keep a spare on hand. I'm thinking of getting a extended for a 3rd just in case (I had one but lost it somewhere; but I've been fine with 2 standard).

clarc31

Reaction score
I had Light flow on both my gnex and now my s3, it was always second behind the screen on my battery usage, deleted from both, nexus battery still sucked but not even close to as bad as it was

kunzy

Reaction score
I will say I have to agree. Was just getting ready to post a vent thread myself when I came across ur thread. I've posted a couple vents in the 6 months I've owned this phone and I'm trying to figure out ways to sell it and buy something else. I sat next to my wife today who owns DROID 4 at my son's football game she had 4G two bars and i was struggling with 3g 1/2 bars to no signal and back to 3g 1/2 bars. It is so FRUSTRATING to hear SO much about this phone b4 it came out to see Samsung just treat it like it is a problem phone. Waited forever for JB to see my radios not be any better in my opinion. I have Netflix which I can't use when I'm consistently not able to maintain a stream. Not sure how long verizon allows me to be able to return this phone but I would much prefer a Motorola phone than a Samsung.

NOVICE

Reaction score
I moved on to the Galaxy S 3 which has thus far provided the experience I was expecting from the Nexus. As to claims that rooting and flashing will produce those rock solid radios we're looking for...how is possible that Google and/or Samsung lacked the resources to OTA these miracle cures?

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
NOVICE said:
I moved on to the Galaxy S 3 which has thus far provided the experience I was expecting from the Nexus. As to claims that rooting and flashing will produce those rock solid radios we're looking for...how is possible that Google and/or Samsung lacked the resources to OTA these miracle cures?

It had everything to do with Verizon dragging his feet getting the update to us rather than google or Samsung. Truth is bugs in software happen... The only thing google or Samsung could do was patched bugs and pass it along. it's up to Verizon to get it through to the rest of us. I don't honestly believe that Verizon really cares much for the Galaxy Nexus because they're not allowed to fill it full of their usual bloatware to "enhance" the user experience as they like to put it.. With trash like the Amazon MP3 Store "need for speed" or you name it. Verizon is in the business of making money and I don't think this phone makes them as much. They just really don't have as much incentive to go along with the true nexus experience... Of course this is all just opinion I could be wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

NOVICE

Reaction score
No disagreement about verizon indifference to improving the Nexus. My point was that if problems with the radios, battery, volume, etc., could be remedied by software fixes (as was supposedly accomplished by independent development community) why weren't these fixes eventually incorporated in the Google/Samsung OTA's. I think, instead, it's possible that these weaknesses with the phone are more fundamental than inferior software. Don't really know.

Travis798

Reaction score
These are pretty much the complaints I had about my Droid X2 that were fixed by my Nexus. I've only had my Nexus a couple of weeks now, but man am I loving it. My X2 would get really really hot when talking on the phone or using navigation, and I am constantly amazed at how cool the Nexus stays in comparison. Battery life seems to vary, maybe between batteries since I carry multiple. Earlier today I had 4h 36m on battery with 3h 28m screen on time and 30% battery left when I went ahead and charged it. Right now I have 8h 48m on battery with 2h 7m screen time and am at 20%, but I have spent the past 5 hours in an area where signal is horrible, which tends to drain any battery. My x2 would be dead in the same area within 5 hours with no use many times. I keep wifi and lte on at all times, even though I don't live in an area with LTE. I dropped calls on my X2 all the time at home when I could make them, and the Nexus was the same. My house is a virtual dead zone. I did install a cellular booster in the house a week ago and my experience with the Nexus has been flawless since. The few times I have been in a 4g area have been awesome, with the last time yielding a speed test of 36.82Mbps down and 12.71Mbps up. While I've gotten my share of bad phones over the years and no that sometimes even great phones can lead to horrible experiences for some people, I really do wonder if you just have a rogue app running on your phone causing some of your problems.

MonKENy

Reaction score
No disagreement about verizon indifference to improving the Nexus. My point was that if problems with the radios, battery, volume, etc., could be remedied by software fixes (as was supposedly accomplished by independent development community) why weren't these fixes eventually incorporated in the Google/Samsung OTA's. I think, instead, it's possible that these weaknesses with the phone are more fundamental than inferior software. Don't really know.

because its not samsung or google that push the updates w/verizon. Verizon controls that. The GSM versions of the phones DID get those fixes a long time ago. We just got them last week or the week before. Im with. I tried to swap out for a SGS3 but they wouldnt let me w/out taking my unlimited data package. Verizon sucks thats all there is to it. Great for coverage and the best phones but horrible at customer service and supporting anything but the top 3 phones (iphone, SGS3, and Razr)

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
MonKENy said:
because its not samsung or google that push the updates w/verizon. Verizon controls that. The GSM versions of the phones DID get those fixes a long time ago. We just got them last week or the week before. Im with. I tried to swap out for a SGS3 but they wouldnt let me w/out taking my unlimited data package. Verizon sucks thats all there is to it. Great for coverage and the best phones but horrible at customer service and supporting anything but the top 3 phones (iphone, SGS3, and Razr)

Therein lies the problem... VZW feels no urgent need to be generous. Until we actually start defecting to another carrier (as if that's a decent option.... it isn't because if service is good coverage sucks) we will continue to be abused.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Therein lies the problem... VZW feels no urgent need to be generous. Until we actually start defecting to another carrier (as if that's a decent option.... it isn't because if service is good coverage sucks) we will continue to be abused.

I miss Alltel. They kept Verizon on its toes until Verizon assimilated them in 09

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Funny thing... I got my GNEX with ICS 4.0.2 in June... and got the 4.0.4 upgrade shortly thereafter. I never noticed a significant signal or droupout problem. No idea why that is when so many people have reported trouble. Then I got my son a GNEX from the bestbuy get it free on upgrade deal. TONS of problems... would not stay connected etc. So I brought it in... they gave him another GNEX and all went well.... Since then no significant problems other than the usual android quirks. When my wife and I got the D1 on a buy one get one free deal, mine was fine and her's sucked. She got another one and it was much better... (of course her's would stay connected to the network... it just sucked as a phone... her replacement was MUCH better). So effectively we're hitting at 50% irrespective of phone type and manufacturer!

The only real oddities I've seen that are true annoyances:

Failure to GPS lock until I restarted the phone (happened exactly once since JB update... )
Wifi calculated position while I was at work... when I got home and connected to WIFI there, position refused to update (as calculated by wifi) until I restarted the phone (happened exactly once again since the JB update).
Compass went totally nuts one saturday a while back... no matter how many times I calibrated N always pointed in the same direction and the compass app wouldn't freewheel... reboot, calib. nothing matterd. Then later that evening I calibrated ONE more time and it's been fine since...

Otherwise it's been fine... I unplug my phone around 7 AM and my battery is still at 70-80% when I leave work around 5:00-5:30. I can play "solataire" for about two hours and the batter drops to 40-50 % with the screen continuously on.