I returned my Nexus... done with Androids

mzjin

Reaction score
I spoke too soon, the Galaxy was nice, but at the most basic, it needs to WORK and be RELIABLE!

4G? 1 or 2 bars, intermittent stoppage, this phone was about -15 to -20 dBm worse reception than my Razr and horrendous overall! My God, I don't know this got through QA. The whole point of this phone was to use 4G!

Big beautiful screen! That can't have working auto-brightness? What is wrong with you Google? I either have to keep it on max brightness all the time to enjoy the screen and kill battery life unnecessarily, or have a horrendous looking dimmed screen permanently in your "auto-brightness" control.

Plastic. And Battery Life. I thought I could handle both, but after swapping batteries a couple of times already and feeling the plastic locking tabs getting weaker and weaker feeling...

I thought the hardware could save this phone (4G & Screen) but not only is the 4G failing the phone in reception but the software is severely crippling the incredible screen. All built on steadily creaky block of plastic. With Ice Cream Sandwhich that still can't manage to be silky smooth.

Good bye for good! I was not once, but twice bitten (Razr & Nexus), and now cutting off all further contact.

Will have to wait patiently to have my 4G LTE/big screen cake and eat it too (iPhone 5). Sigh.

Fanboys bash away, my feelings won't be hurt (or here to see them). Signing off

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Android isn't for everyone. At least you can say you tried it.

Autobrightness has always been hit or miss, and yes even on the iphone, though I will say it isn't as bad.

joshhh

Reaction score
LOLZ going from kevlar to plastic to glass... let's see which breaks when you drop it...

Sent from my DROID3

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I spoke too soon, the Galaxy was nice, but at the most basic, it needs to WORK and be RELIABLE!

4G? 1 or 2 bars, intermittent stoppage, this phone was about -15 to -20 dBm worse reception than my Razr and horrendous overall! My God, I don't know this got through QA. The whole point of this phone was to use 4G!

Big beautiful screen! That can't have working auto-brightness? What is wrong with you Google? I either have to keep it on max brightness all the time to enjoy the screen and kill battery life unnecessarily, or have a horrendous looking dimmed screen permanently in your "auto-brightness" control.

Plastic. And Battery Life. I thought I could handle both, but after swapping batteries a couple of times already and feeling the plastic locking tabs getting weaker and weaker feeling...

I thought the hardware could save this phone (4G & Screen) but not only is the 4G failing the phone in reception but the software is severely crippling the incredible screen. All built on steadily creaky block of plastic. With Ice Cream Sandwhich that still can't manage to be silky smooth.

Good bye for good! I was not once, but twice bitten (Razr & Nexus), and now cutting off all further contact.

Will have to wait patiently to have my 4G LTE/big screen cake and eat it too (iPhone 5). Sigh.

Devs have made several mods and patches for everything you just mentioned, literally everything, other than the phone being plastic that is.

nerdkill

Reaction score
if you want any kind of electronic device to work without bugs then don't buy it on launch day. the reason we want a nexus device is that we know there will be bugs, but they'll actually be updated in a timely fashion. good luck with whatever works for you though.

hydro556

Reaction score

Good luck!

My Nexus so far is awesome. Of course, I possess the ability to realize that all new devices, especially this new, with whole new OS, etc will have a few bugs. Although mine has none.

The Nexus appears to be the most badass phone I have ever used initially. Better than Iphones, and 3 other Droids.

I expect within a month or so, all the apparent bugs will be gone and many new features will be utilized with ICS. This phone is the best thing on Android, and will get dramatically better shortly. Plus it's a Nexus.

Loving it. Blown away.

ddfuji

Reaction score

4g Has it do with your carrier and area. So crap 4g is invalid argument for "crappy" phone. Auto brightness is to save your battery life. Your gonna have to meet half way with it, if you eant your screen super bright then your obviously gonna have yo sacrafice battery life with that. And the beast processor pro ably takes up equivalently the same amount of battery life the screen does if not more. So stepping down to an iPhone is a good choice for you. Changing to an iPhone won't change the fact that you have no 4g in your area. IPhone will also save your battery cause there processor is about half the power then what comes in the razr and galaxy nexus. And the screen is crappier. But crank up the brightness all the way and you'll be in the same spot.except with crappier resolution. Complaining about how much gas a race car uses compared to a 4 banger honda is your argument.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Chukee

Reaction score
If the iPhone works for you then I say do it. As for the 4g issue Verizon has been having issues for a while now with its 4g network so even if the iPhone had 4g Right now it would still have the same issues as the droid phones are having . It's gonna be a while till Verizon can get the signal issue stable. I also considered going back to the iPhone but after messing around with my brothers iPhone I remembered why I dropped it. But if it works for u then you should be good. its a nice phone for people who likes the os.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry it didn't work for you - this phone is not for everyone. I am beyond impressed by my Nexus. Hands down the best phone I've ever owned, tested or encountered. Maybe you got a faulty device?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Everything that you buy on release day is gonna have issues. It's just part of the game. Hate to say it, but these 4G phones take some tweaking to get them to be where they should be -- but all of that is available (or will be soon enough) with the help of all of the developers.

The iphone is a simpler, more straight-forward phone. I'll be the first to say it. But it isn't for me. I like what android offers and can do. Have to take the good with the bad, though.

iKN0WaGH0ST

Reaction score
Complaining about the plastic?

That's like taking a sample of ice cream at Baskin Robbins, deciding you don't like something about it, but buy it anyways, and later complain about your sundae. You knew it was made out of plastic.

You had the opportunity to play with it in the store. So why did you proceed to buy it if you didn't like it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Complaining about the plastic?

That's like taking a sample of ice cream at Baskin Robbins, deciding you don't like something about it, but buy it anyways, and later complain about your sundae. You knew it was made out of plastic.

You had the opportunity to play with it in the store. So why did you proceed to buy it if you didn't like it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
LOL! Funny example.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like Abe said, any phone released is going to have a few quirks(the phone was released less than 30 hours ago), the 4g issues isn't even the phones fault, it's been proven it's Verizon's LTE network. As the Razr/Rezound/Bionic/Charge all have it as well.

Autobrightness will be corrected easily, an app will probably be released that completely corrects it prior to a Google update. You're buying tech that's on the edge, it's not going be perfect, nothing is. You always seem to glaze over the glaring issues Apple has with the Iphone when it's released. Antenna disaster, unfix-able and now the battery issue that's affecting 46% of it's users according to the latest poll.

Maybe we'll finally stop seeing you around here since you found the toy you've been longing for.

L

leroybrute

After a couple days you will calm down hopefully and you can give android another shot. The Iphone 5 will be nice but I really think android will start smoothing out this year. In the last few months integrating dual core and android os has made strides. I have 3 of the top 4 phones (-Razr) and several of older droids on verizon right now and I have thrown my share of tantrums this year. Not one in the last month till last night. Wife fixed the problem though. Today she threw her charge in the drawer and now has a Nexus. The charge would turn me to Iphone!:mad: The LTE issues (3g/4g handoffs- data drops) are not across the board because with 3 different LTE devices in the car the Bionic handles data much better than the 1x and no network charge. The Nexus just keeps dropping signal and takes about 5 to 10 seconds to switch 3g to 4g. Rezound holds 4g longer and switches without any loss. I haven't noticed a data drop yet. Out of box works and reliable. And I can bet in a couple months my wifes Nexus will be fine tuned. I think the LTE issues are phone software and radio related. Be patient, or atleast try the last of the big three.
P.S. The few people that I know that left Android for IOS came back to android.

Last edited by a moderator: