Smoked Glass is Nice and All, but...

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
A lot of overclocking speed and performance is blown just on rendering that theme.

I welcome the overclocking folks out there to try the vanilla stock theme and see just how much faster their phones really are when overclocking. I know I was surprised.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes this might be true......but it could be the opposite at times on the stock theme too...

OP
adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
And why would that be? We are just talking images, and regardless of theme, its pushed by the CPU, not the GPU. So really, the "prettier" you get like with Smoked Glass, the more potential for it to bog down things.

Really, stock is going to be the baseline. Its not going to get slower than another theme. At least, none I have seen--

Maybe I am different. I will take a faster and better performing car over a prettier one, too.

sir2545

Reaction score
I def agree...I love the theme but BB seems to me a lot faster and smoother and I'm guessing its because of what you pointed out. I can run BB at 800 mhz and get still faster and smoother responses than Sholes/Smoked Glass at 950. Its all about what you want., performance or aesthetics.

anuraj1

Reaction score
A lot of overclocking speed and performance is blown just on rendering that theme.

I welcome the overclocking folks out there to try the vanilla stock theme and see just how much faster their phones really are when overclocking. I know I was surprised.

Very interesting concept, I'm reflashing without Smoked Glass right now to check it out. Isn't the theme just prettier images displayed in place of the stock images though? I guess what I mean is, is it really that much more work for the cpu or gpu? Sorry, I don't know much about that aspect of it.

Briankbl

Reaction score
And why would that be? We are just talking images...

Exaaactly lol

The themes are not what are slowing down the Droid, but all of the system modifications that come with ROMs. Also, which apps and widgets you have installed/running must be taken into account.

HMJB

Reaction score
I def agree...I love the theme but BB seems to me a lot faster and smoother and I'm guessing its because of what you pointed out. I can run BB at 800 mhz and get still faster and smoother responses than Sholes/Smoked Glass at 950. Its all about what you want., performance or aesthetics.

loool... they both use the same theme..

he is talking about using the overclock on stock default theme.. which I have tried btw.. does seem a lot smoother..but faster? I haven't bench marked that...

tktouch12

Reaction score
if you are running the exact same rom, but one with a theme and one not with a theme, nothing should change because metamorph themes just replace the images with new ones. so it'd be exactly the same, unless i'm missing something

anuraj1

Reaction score
At first glance, it really does seem to transition smoother. And it is really easy to see everything in the notification bar compared to Smoked Glass. For example, with the theme on, you can barely see the vibrate only symbol, but it is totally clear with the vanilla theme. I think I'll stick with being theme-less for a while...

HMJB

Reaction score
if you are running the exact same rom, but one with a theme and one not with a theme, nothing should change because metamorph themes just replace the images with new ones. so it'd be exactly the same, unless i'm missing something

Easy way to find out.. :)

windstrings

Reaction score
this kinda explains why antimated wallpaper was left out of the 2.1 OTA.....they would get more complaints than praise running down around 550Mhz

M

Matth3w

How do you put the stock theme back on BB 0.7.5....I had some people ask and since I never cared, I didn't put it in my guide but I'd like to.

That being said, the images are replaced not duplicated so not sure how that would affect the speed. I could run a benchmark before and after though to see.

OP
adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
And why would that be? We are just talking images...

Exaaactly lol

The themes are not what are slowing down the Droid, but all of the system modifications that come with ROMs. Also, which apps and widgets you have installed/running must be taken into account.

No, the transparency rendered by the CPU is part of what kills performance in Smoked Glass. I don't use anyone's ROM but my own customized version, with and without Smoked Glass. I know what mods went into it, and none of them are going to have any effect here.