Smoked Glass is Nice and All, but...

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by adrynalyne, Feb 13, 2010.

1. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    A lot of overclocking speed and performance is blown just on rendering that theme.

I welcome the overclocking folks out there to try the vanilla stock theme and see just how much faster their phones really are when overclocking. I know I was surprised.

2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes this might be true......but it could be the opposite at times on the stock theme too...

3. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    And why would that be? We are just talking images, and regardless of theme, its pushed by the CPU, not the GPU. So really, the "prettier" you get like with Smoked Glass, the more potential for it to bog down things.

Really, stock is going to be the baseline. Its not going to get slower than another theme. At least, none I have seen--

Maybe I am different. I will take a faster and better performing car over a prettier one, too.

4. sir2545

sir2545 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I def agree...I love the theme but BB seems to me a lot faster and smoother and I'm guessing its because of what you pointed out. I can run BB at 800 mhz and get still faster and smoother responses than Sholes/Smoked Glass at 950. Its all about what you want., performance or aesthetics.

5. anuraj1

anuraj1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting concept, I'm reflashing without Smoked Glass right now to check it out. Isn't the theme just prettier images displayed in place of the stock images though? I guess what I mean is, is it really that much more work for the cpu or gpu? Sorry, I don't know much about that aspect of it.

6. Briankbl

Briankbl Active Member

Ratings:
    +99
    Exaaactly lol

The themes are not what are slowing down the Droid, but all of the system modifications that come with ROMs. Also, which apps and widgets you have installed/running must be taken into account.

7. HMJB

HMJB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    loool... they both use the same theme..

he is talking about using the overclock on stock default theme.. which I have tried btw.. does seem a lot smoother..but faster? I haven't bench marked that...

8. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if you are running the exact same rom, but one with a theme and one not with a theme, nothing should change because metamorph themes just replace the images with new ones. so it'd be exactly the same, unless i'm missing something

9. anuraj1

anuraj1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    At first glance, it really does seem to transition smoother. And it is really easy to see everything in the notification bar compared to Smoked Glass. For example, with the theme on, you can barely see the vibrate only symbol, but it is totally clear with the vanilla theme. I think I'll stick with being theme-less for a while...

10. HMJB

HMJB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Easy way to find out.. :)

11. windstrings

windstrings Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this kinda explains why antimated wallpaper was left out of the 2.1 OTA.....they would get more complaints than praise running down around 550Mhz

12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    How do you put the stock theme back on BB 0.7.5....I had some people ask and since I never cared, I didn't put it in my guide but I'd like to.

That being said, the images are replaced not duplicated so not sure how that would affect the speed. I could run a benchmark before and after though to see.