Time to join the crowd..

Diordna

Reaction score
With all this overclocking, wireless tethering talk it makes me really want to root. I don't think I'm to into customizing things to much view wise, unless it enhances the phone itself (like Black Droids UD, customize and enhances IF I'm not mistaken)

But overclocking and wireless tethering sound like main things to me, unless I'm missing a lot of other things?
I don't understand kernelz and stuff like that. Or like the Adamz thing, bugless beast, smoked glass stuff, I need to study up on those unless you guys can give me a quick one sentence description on those stuff (no links, I know where to find them on these forums lol)

Also I want to know:

1.) How fast do you make your phone with overclocking? (800 - 1200??)
2.) Using wifi tethering, is it really good/useful?
3.) How much faster is your droid now overclocked compared to stock?
4.) What is everything you have on your droid, rooted wise?
5.) Why don't you have other popular custom ROMs and whatnot?
6.) Could you ever go back to stock now, experiencing root?

I'm going to read through guides and watch videos on how to root and where to start. It seems like a lot of work though, but isn't there also apps that root for you?
What is the best way to go about this? Best helpful youtube video that helped YOU on your journey?
Looking at long instructions on these forums look difficult.

Thanks!

gruve

Reaction score
That's a matter of opinion, beware - Obama will hunt you down if used too much.
550+350 = 900
Pictures of my wife nude
Why didn't I have spahgetti for dinner last night?
No, you need to sign a contact, once you root, you're locked in for 2 years, but there is a $350 termination fee you can pay.

Hope this is useful.

Last edited:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't understand kernelz and stuff like that. Or like the Adamz thing, bugless beast, smoked glass stuff, I need to study up on those unless you guys can give me a quick one sentence description on those stuff (no links, I know where to find them on these forums lol)

Also I want to know:

I'm going to read through guides and watch videos on how to root and where to start. It seems like a lot of work though, but isn't there also apps that root for you?
What is the best way to go about this? Best helpful youtube video that helped YOU on your journey?

Thanks!

I'd recommend reading through the first link in my signature to get a good feel for what is going on. Just as pure education.

The 3rd link in my signature has instructions. Hopefully they are not too long nor difficult. The rest of thread lets you see issues others had, or the fact that some had zero issues.

Think of the kernel as windows. it might be 95, 98, xp, vista, etc.
Think of the rom as the collection of software running on top of it. It can have a different look but most of the software is the same from computer to computer. Some have extra goodies though. Roms would be smoked glass, bugless beast, cyanogen, and others. (Adamz is the userid of the guy who created the smoked glass rom and theme)

5 -- why do some people have a Ford and others a Toyota?
6 - read through the thread, 3rd link in my signature. I did just that last Monday. btw..there are videos in there too, all in the first post.

lol @ gruve :)

JCo352

Reaction score
Upto 1.2GHz
Yes it is useful occasionally when I don't have internet.
It's all in the numbers, benchmarks are wayy faster, and the phone runs noticeably smoother.
Wifi tether, setcpu, terminal emulator, Tempmonitor, Metamorph, Drocap2, other stuff in my sig.
I just plain and simply like what JRummy has done with Cyanogen Mod
Yeah, if somehow stock is better with the next update, OR I mess up my phone somehow, and have to take it back to Verizon.

DroidHoff

Reaction score
Legitimate answers in my opinion:
Anywhere from 550 to 1000 mhz. SetCPU allows you to setup different profiles to maxamize your phones power.
I've had a few instances where wireless tethering has come in really handy, so based on that alone I would say yes. Other roms like, Cyanogen, include tethered connections as well.
Simply put it will run faster, most noticeably is web browsing and download times. Download JIT if you want faster app response however the use of JIT has not been perfected and will cause random reboots.
Once you root you will need the Super User app (most likely included with root), other root only apps I have are : Ad Free, SetCPU, Titanium Backup, ROM manager premium (my favorite), and you'll want a terminal emulator of some sort.
I'm not sure I understand the question here. There are many Custom ROM's out there, if your looking for a suggestion I would recommend Cyanogen after using almost all the others available, I believe Cyan's to be the most stable and highly optimized.
You always could but you won't want to!

Lastly read up and you will find an abundance of help on how to accomplish your goals with your Droid. Everyone has to start somewhere so ask questions if you get lost or need help. The Search function will be your best friend from here on out. And don't get discouraged by responses that don't make sense I've found that in this forum someone will always come forward to help! Good Luck

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
So, long story short. You want someone to do your homework for you, right?

Um no?
I'm not telling anyone to come to my house and do everything for me (wish I could though lol)

Just want it to be as easy as it can be for me.
And knowing what everyone is running on their droid so I see what different people have.

And aren't you part of the rescue squad?? 0.0
Nice rescue response lol

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score

Also I want to know:

Thanks!

I'd recommend reading through the first link in my signature to get a good feel for what is going on. Just as pure education.

The 3rd link in my signature has instructions. Hopefully they are not too long nor difficult. The rest of thread lets you see issues others had, or the fact that some had zero issues.

Think of the kernel as windows. it might be 95, 98, xp, vista, etc.
Think of the rom as the collection of software running on top of it. It can have a different look but most of the software is the same from computer to computer. Some have extra goodies though. Roms would be smoked glass, bugless beast, cyanogen, and others. (Adamz is the userid of the guy who created the smoked glass rom and theme)

5 -- why do some people have a Ford and others a Toyota?
6 - read through the thread, 3rd link in my signature. I did just that last Monday. btw..there are videos in there too, all in the first post.

lol @ gruve :)
thanks! I will check your sigs out, you do good at your rescue job haha
And I'll ask more questions along the way if need be too =]

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I can understand where the OP is coming from. I've been reading about rooting and OCing since I got my Droid 6 weeks ago. Since it's my first smartphone I didn't rush. Now after a brief rush of "Incredible envy" I'm almost ready to take the plunge. But all the stuff I've read uses terminology unfamiliar to me. I've built my own PCs,but messing with the innards of a phone is foreign territory to me.
I'm not looking for some auto-rooting/OCing app, though--I'm the sort who wants to understand the what's and why's. But I would like to find the "for Dummies" version. And maybe ask a couple of root-OC n00b questions without being mocked.
Any links appreciated...

warrior21

Reaction score
I can understand where the OP is coming from. I've been reading about rooting and OCing since I got my Droid 6 weeks ago. Since it's my first smartphone I didn't rush. Now after a brief rush of "Incredible envy" I'm almost ready to take the plunge. But all the stuff I've read uses terminology unfamiliar to me. I've built my own PCs,but messing with the innards of a phone is foreign territory to me.
I'm not looking for some auto-rooting/OCing app, though--I'm the sort who wants to understand the what's and why's. But I would like to find the "for Dummies" version. And maybe ask a couple of root-OC n00b questions without being mocked.
Any links appreciated...
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html
If you've already read up on what rooting means this should be able to walk you through. Also there are videos on youtube that will show you step by step how to flash sprecovery, root, and install roms and kernels.

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
I also have no idea what ROM I want. Any personal suggestions to someone whose tries a couple of them out, and why that one instead of the other?

warrior21

Reaction score
I also have no idea what ROM I want. Any personal suggestions to someone whose tries a couple of them out, and why that one instead of the other?
Which Rom works for you is a matter of personal preference. Once you flash sprecovery and get root access you can download the donate version of rom manager. From there you can download a handful of different roms and decide which one suits your tastes. For a while I had stock 2.1 with root access just so I could overclock and wifi tether. All you need for that is to put the file for the kernel you want on your sd card, change it to update.zip, boot into recovery and install it. A few days ago I downloaded ultimate droid 9.8 and so far it has worked well for me, but a rom isn't always necessary. It just depends on what you want to accomplish.

Last edited: