Time to join the crowd..

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
I really want to get to rooting real soon here. Is for what I want (Stock ROM, OC/ wifi tether) is this thread recommended??

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

Yes that is the exact process. I've been troubleshooting today and went through the entire process in about 10 minutes. They've really made it easier and easier.

Sweet:)

A few questions though. Like would I just follow step (box) number 4 and the nandroid step and that's it?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot-7.html#post441497

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So rooting with just having wifi tethering and overclock with staying stock 2.1, is it as easy as:

root, SPrecovery, Barnacle (for wifi), overclock kernel?

Also I'm curious for people that were in my situation (all?? lol) was rooting easier than you thought it would be?

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Most roms come with wifi included with the install already anyways.
Pick the directions that seem to have the least amount of hassle for you. Follow the first set and if you get stuck, give a shout.

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
So rooting with just having wifi tethering and overclock with staying stock 2.1, is it as easy as:

root, SPrecovery, Barnacle (for wifi), overclock kernel?

Also I'm curious for people that were in my situation (all?? lol) was rooting easier than you thought it would be?

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Most roms come with wifi included with the install already anyways.
Pick the directions that seem to have the least amount of hassle for you. Follow the first set and if you get stuck, give a shout.
Barnacle does same thing? Or is one better?

Also in your guide like I asked in that thread, real fast I just need to know if I install the link you have in step 2 in SPrecovery and then just go straight to step 4 and install that link (Pete made) and continue with that step. Then right after that do the nandroid step?

OR do I just not download the link in step 2 and just do the rest I said?

VolDroid

Reaction score
It's really not as hard as you are making it out to be. I followed this tutorial and had my phone rooted and running a rom in about 30 min. This guys has several different videos you can follow to help out. [video=youtube;k4Hfs99vmHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Hfs99vmHU&feature=related]YouTube - Motorola Droid How to ROOT your Droid - The Easy Way![/video]

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score

ZBoater

Reaction score
So after I root and add SPrecovery and OC and wifi tether, then make a nandroid backup?
I'm not familiar with that but I have read about it, but was slightly confused but I remember something with the SD card and naming a folder nandroid or something and backup there??

Yes. You dont have to make the directory, the app will do it for you. Nandroid is one of the options in the SPRecovery menu. My suggestions would be:

1. Install SPRecovery.
2. Root.
3. Do one Nandroid backup. This will be a "clean" backup.
4. Use the phone like that for a little bit (1/2 hour or so) just to make sure it is working OK.
5. Install an OC kernel, tethering, do another Nandroid backup (you can do as many as will fit on your SD card). 6. Play around some more.

That way, as you do several backups, you can always go back to a cleaner state you know worked well before you load up your phone with too many apps. If the phone starts misbehaving, you can restore to the latest backup you know worked, or even one before that in case you want to try something new (like a new kernel).

I've been messing with my config for two days and have it JUST like I want it, with Helix launcher,7 screens, etc. I have three good Nandroid backups, one of which I copied off the SD card onto my PC just in case, and I am now good to go!!! :icon_ banana:

nateccnn

Reaction score
It's really not as hard as you are making it out to be. I followed this tutorial and had my phone rooted and running a rom in about 30 min. This guys has several different videos you can follow to help out. YouTube - Motorola Droid How to ROOT your Droid - The Easy Way!

Thats old, isn't that for 2.01?

Any easy videos on 2.1?

Sounds like you might be looking for this method http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/37696-flashing-sprecovery-sbf-stock-2-1-a.html

It requires some more steps...not quite as easy...but still entry level if you follow the steps to a tee. Make sure your battery is completely charged...laptop plugged into wall...set aside an hour. It probably won't take an hour but you do not want to be rushed at the end.

Type slow when you begin typing on the physical keyboard.

This methong leaves the stock rom you already have on your device. No need to wipe cache...cuz you didn't write someone elses files onto your device. In my mind it is ther cleanest way to root a stock rom.

Nate

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
I just want to say I'm FINALLY rooted thanks to a user on here who helped me step by step on google chat. I'm running bugless beast, petes leaked version. I think he said it is running at 1.1 ghz? Anyway to check the phones speed like that? Also any recommendations now that I'm finally here?:)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Get SetCPU to check and change the speed and underclock to save battery life using the Profiles.

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
Someone help me understand setcpu more? Like I put the bar all the way up and down but not seeming to change anything. What should I do to make it have a real fast non lag speed?