Time to join the crowd..

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
I also have no idea what ROM I want. Any personal suggestions to someone whose tries a couple of them out, and why that one instead of the other?
Which Rom works for you is a matter of personal preference. Once you flash sprecovery and get root access you can download the donate version of rom manager. From there you can download a handful of different roms and decide which one suits your tastes. For a while I had stock 2.1 with root access just so I could overclock and wifi tether. All you need for that is to put the file for the kernel you want on your sd card, change it to install.zip, boot into recovery and install it. A few days ago I downloaded ultimate droid 9.8 and so far it has worked well for me, but a rom isn't always necessary. It just depends on what you want to accomplish.
I already knew it was personal preferences, but I have no idea what all these ROMs do, and even if I go to their threads and read what they do it's just a long list of things really.
I just wanted to know why some people pick Adamz ROMs over Pete's over Blackdroids. Is there like REAL specific things that each one does that others don't that people really like?
Maybe then I'll find my personal taste and decide.
Thanks for your posts though :)

shamus

Reaction score
You will figure that out once you start getting into it.
For example, my phone seems to love Pete's BB ROMs but doesn't run as well on Cyans. You will figure this out as you go and try a few different ROMs.
Start with a Bugless Beast ROM and go from there. That's what I did. Waaay before you could download apps on the market to do it for you:)

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
For example, my phone seems to love Pete's BB ROMs but doesn't run as well on Cyans. You will figure this out as you go and try a few different ROMs.
Start with a Bugless Beast ROM and go from there. That's what I did. Waaay before you could download apps on the market to do it for you:)

I still don't understand exactly what the differences are between all these, but I will now go look through them all in there threads and read through the lists.

I read through Blackdroids and he has some really good responses compared to the others. What you think about BD?? 9.0+

shamus

Reaction score
Some differences are subtle, some not so much.
One ROM might install with no additional APKs and the next might be fully loaded. One might give you the option during install.
It seems like they're all becoming more and more similar lately though. Kinda seems like we're at a stand-still.
Pete's BB is simple, the install is as easy as it gets. That's why I recommend starting with that one.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can understand where the OP is coming from. I've been reading about rooting and OCing since I got my Droid 6 weeks ago. Since it's my first smartphone I didn't rush. Now after a brief rush of "Incredible envy" I'm almost ready to take the plunge. But all the stuff I've read uses terminology unfamiliar to me. I've built my own PCs,but messing with the innards of a phone is foreign territory to me.
I'm not looking for some auto-rooting/OCing app, though--I'm the sort who wants to understand the what's and why's. But I would like to find the "for Dummies" version. And maybe ask a couple of root-OC n00b questions without being mocked.
Any links appreciated...

The ones in my signature are a good start. The first one gives you the manual walk through method but times have changed too. You need to root 2.1 differently than you could 2.01.

You can ask whatever questions you want and hopefully won't be mocked. I figure if someone is taking the time to ask, they are looking to know. Folks will point you to, or tell you, what means what.

As for the best rom? For each rom you will get followers. I've been just as happy on Smoked Glass as someone else is on something else. That's why so many exist. And sticking to my my car analogy ... you can take each one for a test drive.

I'd recommend any rom that has clear instructions. I'd recommend rooting to anyone who has at least read one or two threads where someone got stuck (and saved). You probably won't be getting stuck, nobody plans on it, but at least if you do you'll know it happens and it tends to not turn out to be a total disaster.

VolDroid

Reaction score

I still don't understand exactly what the differences are between all these, but I will now go look through them all in there threads and read through the lists.

I read through Blackdroids and he has some really good responses compared to the others. What you think about BD?? 9.0+

I'm running BD's newest release v10 and it runs great so far. I tried Koush's Cyanogen ROM and for whatever reason it just didn't run well on my phone. I would go with either 9.8 or 10 if going with his ROM. You can get some good help with his stuff here Ultimate Droid

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I can understand where the OP is coming from. I've been reading about rooting and OCing since I got my Droid 6 weeks ago. Since it's my first smartphone I didn't rush. Now after a brief rush of "Incredible envy" I'm almost ready to take the plunge. But all the stuff I've read uses terminology unfamiliar to me. I've built my own PCs,but messing with the innards of a phone is foreign territory to me.
I'm not looking for some auto-rooting/OCing app, though--I'm the sort who wants to understand the what's and why's. But I would like to find the "for Dummies" version. And maybe ask a couple of root-OC n00b questions without being mocked.
Any links appreciated...

The ones in my signature are a good start. The first one gives you the manual walk through method but times have changed too. You need to root 2.1 differently than you could 2.01.

You can ask whatever questions you want and hopefully won't be mocked. I figure if someone is taking the time to ask, they are looking to know. Folks will point you to, or tell you, what means what.

As for the best rom? For each rom you will get followers. I've been just as happy on Smoked Glass as someone else is on something else. That's why so many exist. And sticking to my my car analogy ... you can take each one for a test drive.

I'd recommend any rom that has clear instructions. I'd recommend rooting to anyone who has at least read one or two threads where someone got stuck (and saved). You probably won't be getting stuck, nobody plans on it, but at least if you do you'll know it happens and it tends to not turn out to be a total disaster.

Yeah, I just read one of those: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/40232-seriously-scared.html . Sounds like it was touch and go. Does anyone ever not get saved?

nateccnn

Reaction score
I won't go into details cuz im sitting in a bar righr now and a hot chic sittin next to me needs my assistance..shes askin the same questions you are. I rooted. I installed custom roms. I flashed back to stock. I accepted the ota 2.1 update. I rerooted but his time stuck to the stock rom.

Search my posts in the past month for my detailed analysis of the above.

I just booked a flight from NE to Salt Lake using my phone as my internet hot spt. A couple of the guys I travel with also bumped onto my hotspot and booked their flights. All with no wires. That was fun.

Get on with it.

Now I have to help this young lady in the bar at SLC root her droid. Did I say she's smokin?

Bob (not really my name but shes lookin over my shoulder and I dont think I need her knowing my name)

Last edited:
OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
So rooting with just having wifi tethering and overclock with staying stock 2.1, is it as easy as:

root, SPrecovery, Barnacle (for wifi), overclock kernel?

Also I'm curious for people that were in my situation (all?? lol) was rooting easier than you thought it would be?

ZBoater

Reaction score
Also I'm curious for people that were in my situation (all?? lol) was rooting easier than you thought it would be?

Rooting was a lot easier than I thought. Leaving then phone alone after I rooted was the hard part.

I have two words for you: NANDROID BACKUP.

Once you get a working stable setup, BACK IT UP. Then play around will all the kernels and root permissions and funky apps. You will be restoring that backup often. :)

Ultimate Droid v10 update w/Bekit's 5x1200LV kernel

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score

Rooting was a lot easier than I thought. Leaving then phone alone after I rooted was the hard part.

I have two words for you: NANDROID BACKUP.

Once you get a working stable setup, BACK IT UP. Then play around will all the kernels and root permissions and funky apps. You will be restoring that backup often. :)

Ultimate Droid v10 update w/Bekit's 5x1200LV kernel

So after I root and add SPrecovery and OC and wifi tether, then make a nandroid backup?
I'm not familiar with that but I have read about it, but was slightly confused but I remember something with the SD card and naming a folder nandroid or something and backup there??

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Is Nandroid Backup like Ghost or Acronis on PC's, except for Droid? Sounds like a good thing to have anyway.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Nandroid backup is one of the tools available in sprecovery. Its a menu option. It does store the files on your sdcard and I think it creates the nandroid folder but to be honest I cant remember if I made that directory manually or not.

Nate

warrior21

Reaction score
Nandroid backup is one of the tools available in sprecovery. Its a menu option. It does store the files on your sdcard and I think it creates the nandroid folder but to be honest I cant remember if I made that directory manually or not.

Nate
You are correct, once you do a backup it creates the folder and puts the file in there for you