Should I buy the "extended warrranty" from Verizon

kennyc

Reaction score
My Droid X is due here on Tues. I have initially declined the additional warranty ($8 / month) which extends the Moto Warranty for an additional year and covers all the other stuff....lost phone, dropped in toilet, etc...

My question is does anyone think the additional warranty/insurance is worth it??

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
On my bill it's $6.99 for Asurion and $1 for the extended warranty....

if you can afford the full cost of the device or only want a 1 yr manufacture warranty...you can pass on it.

DW0278

Reaction score
If you are rough on your phones as I am, used the insurance a few times then it is a great thing to have. I can not afford to shell out full price when I break the phone.

Technoman

Reaction score
If you are rough on your phones as I am, used the insurance a few times then it is a great thing to have. I can not afford to shell out full price when I break the phone.

I don't see the logic to pay $8 a month, and then pay $80 co-pay if you have to replace your phone.

Treat your phone better, and if like most you will likely upgrade in a year.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

I don't see the logic to pay $8 a month, and then pay $80 co-pay if you have to replace your phone.

Not everyone has the $89 co-pay....mine's only $50.

jmorton10

Reaction score
IMHO, it is a total waste of money but I take care of my phones.

I have had "smart phones" for years & never broken one yet (& I won't allow one to be stolen)

In the amount of money I have saved over the years, I could buy full retail replacement phones a couple times over & still be ahead dollar wise. (heck, even when you use the insurance the deductable is up to something like $100 now because of people abusing the service)

~John

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
IMHO, it is a total waste of money but I take care of my phones.

I have had "smart phones" for years & never broken one yet (& I won't allow one to be stolen)

In the amount of money I have saved over the years, I could buy full retail replacement phones a couple times over & still be ahead dollar wise. (heck, even when you use the insurance the deductable is up to something like $100 now because of people abusing the service)

~John

Accidents happen.......

OP
kennyc

kennyc

Reaction score

That's kinda my thought. Most phones I've had have lasted forever or til I wanted to upgrade. The exception was my Nokia that finally died after some 6-8 years or so (almost unreadable screen because of the marred plastic screen) and my Samsung that got washed with a pair of jeans.

jmorton10

Reaction score
I can tell a rather funny story that happened recently to a co-worker.

He bought a brand new iphone 4 with no insurance (he said you can't get insurance on an iphone??)

He was driving back to work with his one hour old phone when he got a call. He answered the call & when he hung up he layed the phone in his lap.

It was pouring rain when he pulled in the parking lot where I work. He forgot the phone was in his lap & stepped out of the car. The phone fell from his lap directly into a puddle & he stepped on it shattering the glass screen all in one motion...........

~John

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To each his own. I was a careful driver until a year ago and I was involved in an at-fault accident. I was careful with my cell phones since 1992 when I got my first bag phone. I never had to file a claim until 3 years ago when I dropped my phone in a bowl of soup. Ironically the first time I ever got insurance was on the phone that fell into the bowl of soup. Was I glad I had the insurance? Absolutely. Would I have been out of luck if I didn't have the insurance? Absolutely again. Even if you just keep the insurance for a period of time until you have another eligible line is worth having the insurance. Read through the forums of people who didn't bother with the insurance and the tragedies they incurred when they suddenly had a paperweight. I pay $6 per month for my insurance on my Droid - it covers lost, stolen, water damage and physical damage - in other words, anything accidental or sudden with the Droid is covered. Sure there's the co-pay but it's better than paying full retail for a new one. The "extended warranty" which is about $1 per month more is in my opinion not worth it, all that does is cover the phone from months 13-24 for warranty claims. Warranty would be a manufacturer defect. I hope this helps you make a clearer decision.

jmorton10

Reaction score
The way I look at it is, if you take the $100 (or whatever it is) that they get you for the deductable/co-pay (whatever you want to call it) & put it aside along with the monthly fee they get you for, pretty soon you could buy a new phone with the money you saved & from there on you're money ahead.

Heck, nobody pays full retail for these things anyway (I bought my HTC TouchPro 2 brand new in a sealed box for $200 on ebay)

~John

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb