Should I buy the "extended warrranty" from Verizon

OP
kennyc

kennyc

Reaction score
I can tell a rather funny story that happened recently to a co-worker.

He bought a brand new iphone 4 with no insurance (he said you can't get insurance on an iphone??)

He was driving back to work with his one hour old phone when he got a call. He answered the call & when he hung up he layed the phone in his lap.

It was pouring rain when he pulled in the parking lot where I work. He forgot the phone was in his lap & stepped out of the car. The phone fell from his lap directly into a puddle & he stepped on it shattering the glass screen all in one motion...........

~John

That's really sad....it can happen! (couldn't happen to a better phone type though :p)

Last edited:

jmorton10

Reaction score
Without extending a contract or adding a line? And keeping you old device.

I used an upgrade to buy my DroidX because I just happened to have one available at the time, but I have sitting here on the shelf 1 XV 6700, 2 XV 6800's, 1 TouchPro & 2 TouchPro 2's. The TouchPro is a Sprint phone I ported over to Verizon as the Verizon version was "crippled" at the time.

I bought all brand new, only used a contract upgrade on the one TouchPro & paid a fraction of retail for all of them. Like I stated earlier, I bought the TP2's brand new from an awesome ebay seller for $200 each (& this was back when they where backordered from Verizon)

~John

jmorton10

Reaction score
(couldn't happen to a better phone type though :p)

LOL. Normally, I would feel really sorry for the guy but this guy is such an obnoxious jerk (everything with this guy is iphone this & iphone that) that I just HAD to laugh......

This guy is one of those clowns who thinks anybody who doesn't own an iphone is an idiot...(& unlike a lot of posters here, I actually LIKE the iphone)

If you could get an iphone on VZ service, I would probably have one on my 2nd line....

~John

OP
kennyc

kennyc

Reaction score
(couldn't happen to a better phone type though :p)

LOL. Normally, I would feel really sorry for the guy but this guy is such an obnoxious jerk (everything with this guy is iphone this & iphone that) that I just HAD to laugh......

This guy is one of those clowns who thinks anybody who doesn't own an iphone is an idiot...(& unlike a lot of posters here, I actually LIKE the iphone)

If you could get an iphone on VZ service, I would probably have one on my 2nd line....

~John

Nothing wrong with the iPhone...it's well designed etc. I don't like the way Apple does business with iTunes, lockin, controlling behavior, etc.

kdkinc

Reaction score
Insurance is a Total waste of $Money$.............................................till ya need it!!!!
:icon_eek::icon_eek:

Santee

Reaction score
I would. It comes in handy, and if you want to cancel the insurance it isn't a hassle.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd had insurance on my phones since the I've had cell phones, at that includes the LX4400.

I've never needed to use it, but even if I never had it before, I'd have it with my smartphone.

OP
kennyc

kennyc

Reaction score
I would. It comes in handy, and if you want to cancel the insurance it isn't a hassle.

Well, yeah, but when you cancel, you've given them that much money for free. ... Virtually all advice says not to buy these extended warranties, but certainly there are those cases where it proves invaluable -- just like home or auto insurance. But in the majority of cases it ends up costing you more than it saves you. :( That's why/how insurance companies make billions and billions of dollars each year.

FAQ here at Verizon: Verizon | Answers to FAQs - Verizon Wireless Support

I'm still considering/thinking about this....I did spend $200 for the phone, after all...There would be a deductible - $90 can buy the phone for
$570 so....difference if it's lost $480 ... so evens out at 2.5 years. ...

pilot25

Reaction score
If you have the insurance and you break the phone in month 6 are you under the manufacturer warranty or asurion? Who do you call at that point?

OP
kennyc

kennyc

Reaction score
If you have the insurance and you break the phone in month 6 are you under the manufacturer warranty or asurion? Who do you call at that point?

Good point....that plays into it as well cause even though you are under the Motorola warranty (for droid) for the first year you still have to pay for it to get it the second year....so more or less you are giving them $100+ up front. (and you have to sign up for it in the first 30 days)....

The manufacturer will handle the warranty during the first two years (is my understanding).

evildesign

Reaction score
I pay the $8 a month on my phone,since I bought my phone straight out, so it sorta worth it in my case. If I broke it ,lost it, who knows what... In little over a year or even under with my rate of cellphone dying...It is a lot cheaper then buying a new one.

princessnridge

Reaction score
I considered the extra insurance but opted to not have it for my Droid X. I thought I had canceled it on my oldest daughters phone in April but upon further inspection of my bill states that I am being charged for it. I did get the insurance for my youngest daughter's phone when I added her line in April. At the time I thought it was better to be safe then sorry as she is in middle school.

My eldest daughter did use the insurance one time with her last phone and it cost $50.00 for her to get a new one when she dropped hers last November one month prior to her free upgrade. She did get a replacement but I made her wait until April to get a new upgraded phone to try and instill in her that she needed to be more responsible and accountable.

I think though at this point I am going to cancel the insurance and extended plans on both of their phones. I have a BB Curve that I only used for five months and my eldest has her warranty replacement phone and I also still have my Motorola Razr that could be used to have a phone should something happen to any of our three phones. This options seems the best way to go versus paying 24.00 bucks a month just in case something may happen.

In the mean time I guard my X with my life and cross my fingers that I do not lose it, break it or have it stolen because I hate hate hated the BB Curve.

roach

Reaction score
Get it,pay it.It's worth it.
You have piece of mind knowing you have insurance on your phone.
These cells go for alot of cash,it's not just a phone it's like a mini tab.
So for 23 cents a day,I think its worth it.

OP
kennyc

kennyc

Reaction score
Get it,pay it.It's worth it.
You have piece of mind knowing you have insurance on your phone.
These cells go for alot of cash,it's not just a phone it's like a mini tab.
So for 23 cents a day,I think its worth it.

Well yeah....if it weren't for that pesky deductable and total price verses insurance cost.....

BTW Thanks everyone for all the input....I'm still on the fence and may be for the full 30 days. :)

DW0278

Reaction score
If you are rough on your phones as I am, used the insurance a few times then it is a great thing to have. I can not afford to shell out full price when I break the phone.

I don't see the logic to pay $8 a month, and then pay $80 co-pay if you have to replace your phone.

Treat your phone better, and if like most you will likely upgrade in a year.

It's not about treating my phone better. I work as a medic , I am in an out of wrecked cars and buildings that are not in the greatest shape, and things happen. I dropped one off my belt while carrying someone got caught on the railing and pulled out the case went 2 flights down. Thats the only time I ever had to use it so far it does happen. Kinda like car insurance a pain in the butt to keep but really nice to have when you wreck the car.