Warranty + Phone protection

Mandroid11

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a Droid X soon (if I don't hear anything on the DIncHD) and I was just wondering about Verizon's warranty ($1.99/month) and their WPP phone protection ($5.99/month).

They have the option to get both of these for $8/month but I was wondering if I really need that phone protection?(From what I read on their info screens, Warranty is just if the phone quits working, WPP thing is if you break the screen,drop it,etc)?

I'm curious to what everyone else here has on their X, and how the phone protection works if you ever end up needing it. I want to find out if it's worth it when I get a new Android phone.

Thanks for your time. :icon_ banana:dancedroid

(really no reason to use the emoticons but they're cool :) )

hopeqing

Reaction score
I didn't get it. I am pretty careful about my gadgets. It's $8/month with a deductible of $100(?). That's $ 192 for 2 years. I will probably upgrade it at some point. It's not worth it for me. I did purchse a case, clear screen cover and a skin to protect it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Well, the phone has a 1yr warranty out of the box, but any physical damage or warranty failures after that and you are struck.

So if you aren't one with an annual upgrade, you would end up paying full price for a device between 12 and 20 months.

OP
Mandroid11

Mandroid11

Reaction score
Would if be good to just get the $1.99/month extended warranty? Just in case the phone locks up or something, the keys quit working or doesn't turn on anymore? That'd be covered right?

I'm more careful physical wise with my phones(no cracked screens or dropping) with the phone protection thing, so I don't know if that'd be worth an extra $6/month plus the deductible. (I'm a poor undergrad = / )

memnv

Reaction score
I like it because it covers water damage too, I dropped a phone in the toilet a few years back the day after I got it, luckily just had to replace he battery, also my sons phone went through the washer a few months back, it never worked after, so I think its worth it

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I have the Total Equipment Coverage for $7.99/month. I personally think it is worth it. I am careful with my gadgets too, but accidents do happen. The warranty covers any manufacture defect, the insurance covers everything else (water damage, cracked screen, lost or theft). The deductible for the Droid X is $80.

($8 x 24 months) + $80 = $272.

That is still cheaper than buying a new phone for like $569. It is a personal choice, but if you screw up your phone in the first year, it is totally worth it. Plus, you can drop the insurance at any time.

R

RETG

I believe Verizon now offers reconditioned phones to customer who did not opt for the protection insurance. Cuts the cost considerably from the price of a new phone, and even under insurance you will receive a reconditioned/refurbished phone.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/refurbished-cell-phones.shtml

I personally, will go for the protection insurance but since I will only go with a one-year contract, the extended warranty is not necessary. However, I sometimes work under some extreme conditions such as climbing in and around red rock ledges, driving an ATV and just generally banging the crap out of my phones.

I have gone through two Seidio cases, but so far, the BBs is scratched but still work well.

I only hope the X I get in a few weeks holds up as well.

OP
Mandroid11

Mandroid11

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting my X from walmart, it's $70, plus that's where we originally signed up for verizon from. In the checkout there's an option to add the unlimited data for $30, but no option to add the warranty/phone protection.

If I ordered from walmart and got my phone there, would verizon be able to put the warranty/phone protection on my account after I got it? or is it possible to add it on my verizon account online?

Edit: When I select the X as the first phone for the renewed contract it's $80, then when I choose the octane as the second phone that ones free.
But I'm assuming that'll make the primary line the X and the secondary the octane, where as I want the secondary as the X and the primary as the octane.(when I do it that way it makes the octane free and the x $150 instead of $80)
Could I order it the first way to get the x cheaper, then change the x and the data plan from the primary line and put it on my secondary? So the primary line would have the octane with no data, and the secondary would have the X with data. I don't want to take the chance to find out I can't, I figured this forum would know

epsilonbass

Reaction score
I ordered a Droid X via phone today, when they asked if I was interested in the insurance I asked what it all entailed. The CSR's answer cracked me up with her possible scenarios.
Not simply water damage or broken phone, but If you drop it in a toilet, or if you get mad and throw it against the wall! Verizon, we have had our up's and downs (mostly downs) but on this... you get me.

If you wanna talk about the math, you will probably lose money on the insurance. OG droids and eris's that have been around for a couple years are still pulling between $150-$250 on ebay, which at this point would cost less than the insurance route. I personally don't want to deal with sketchy ebay/craigslist people, the esn may be good, but you can't really tell if anything else is wrong with the phone.

My question is this, if you buy a phone via internet/phone order, and you need to cash in on insurance, do you have to get a replacement via the site (costing you upwards of a week without your phone) or can you take it into an official VZW store?

sjohn902

Reaction score
I have the Total Equipment Coverage for $7.99/month. I personally think it is worth it. I am careful with my gadgets too, but accidents do happen. The warranty covers any manufacture defect, the insurance covers everything else (water damage, cracked screen, lost or theft). The deductible for the Droid X is $80.

($8 x 24 months) + $80 = $272.

That is still cheaper than buying a new phone for like $569. It is a personal choice, but if you screw up your phone in the first year, it is totally worth it. Plus, you can drop the insurance at any time.

This is pretty faulty since it doesn't consider depreciation. If you go up until that 24th month, and spend $272 on protection in total - by the 24th month, that phone that was $569 in the summer of 2010 is only going to be in the $100-$150 range and you're in the red considerably. Hell, even now if you buy the phone off of eBay it can be had for between $300-$350 with relative ease. I've seen them on Craigslist for as low as $275.

Personally, I opted not to get insurance. By February/March, when the next generation of smartphones begins to roll out, the X will hit that $200-$250 mark. I bought my phone in July, so that will have been 9 months of protection at $8/month = $72 + $80 deductible = $152. So it's only $50-$100 more to replace it at that point, and I'd be almost bound to get some value out of putting the phone on eBay to offset that. There's more of a market for broken phones than you might think. Ultimately, though, it came down to my belief that I could take care of the phone at least until early next spring, and opting against taking on what would become a sunk cost of insurance.

For someone purchasing a DX today, I still don't think I would recommend insurance. As long as you're careful with your device and don't do careless things like run it through the washer or text while taking a leak, you're almost bound to make it at least 6 months or so before some fluke. There's always a chance you hurl your phone against pavement tomorrow, but you just have to consider the probability of it.

ZerokLd

Reaction score
Yeah i didntget the warrenty either. I just invested in a phantom skinz cover. Should show up in the mail soon.