extended warranty, insurance, or nothing?

daniel4ever

Reaction score
Hello all!

Ordered a Droid X, should arrive today, and now I am wondering about insurance. I was thinking that the insurance was not such a good deal, since there is an $89 deductible, and then all you get is a refurb. And, it costs $8 per month!

The extended warranty - is just $2 per month, but that of course only covers manufacturer defects. And, the customer service person could not tell me if you pay for the extended warranty even during the original warranty period, but I suspect you do.

I'm just thinking, that refurbs are not that expensive, and for the cost of the deductible and few months insurance, I could just get a refurb is the phone goes south.

But, I would like to hear your experiences and thoughts on this!

Thanks!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It really depends on you.

Many people here swear by insurance and belive you're crazy to not get it. I personally dont belive in cell phone insurance -- I havent yet (knock on wood) lost or ireparably damaged a cell phone in the 10 years I've had one. All that, combined with the increasing costs and deductibles, leads me along the path that believes it's just easier and (in the long term) cheaper to pony up when something does happen.

But, it's all up to you. What's your record will phones? What sort of environmental and physical conditions will you be operating the phone in?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
As ltken pointed out it depends on you and how you take care of phones. I never have and never will get phone insurance as I never needed it in last 15+ years. If something does happen to it, im confident enough to fix it myself.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
D

daniel4ever

Reaction score
It really depends on you.

Many people here swear by insurance and belive you're crazy to not get it. I personally dont belive in cell phone insurance -- I havent yet (knock on wood) lost or ireparably damaged a cell phone in the 10 years I've had one. All that, combined with the increasing costs and deductibles, leads me along the path that believes it's just easier and (in the long term) cheaper to pony up when something does happen.

But, it's all up to you. What's your record will phones? What sort of environmental and physical conditions will you be operating the phone in?

Thanks for your reply - and xeene too - the phone is not for me, but rather my college aged son. Knock on wood indeed, he has not lost a phone or damaged it ever. But, my daughter, who is three years older, has had issues with her phones - manufacturer problems, that up to now Verizon has taken care of, since they were known issues. It seems that will no longer be the case with our new contract, so that is why I am nervous, but the cost of the insurance seems exorbitant, which is what is giving me pause.

I know the insurance company is for profit, and don't begrudge them that, but it seems they are grabbing money hand over fist for what they charge.

Normally we do not get extended warranties on things - since Consumer Reports has never advocated them, but we did get an extended warranty on my son's desktop computer, and it has been worth it - likely due to the extremely dusty environment in his dorm room.

I guess paying $89 for a refurb, after paying $8 a month seems unreasonable, whereas the computer extended warranty just seemed more reasonably priced.

Sigh.

BigDaddyNYY

Reaction score
I had always taken the insurance on my phones, but thankfully never had to use it. I changed my mind on this when I got my DX, as the monthly cost has continued to rise and with the $89 deductible, it just didn't seem to make sense anymore. I kept my BB as a backup (instead of selling it on eBay), should anything happen to my DX I will activate that until I can get a new phone at the 2 year pricing. If you are really concerned, you may want to just take the 1 year contract, the cost of the phone is about $70 more, but then you would be able to get a new model sooner if you need to and not have to worry about paying retail.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Mine is $6/month for Insurance, $1/mo for extended warranty, $50 deductible...

Being a VIP Account Helps :D

OP
D

daniel4ever

Reaction score
I had always taken the insurance on my phones, but thankfully never had to use it. I changed my mind on this when I got my DX, as the monthly cost has continued to rise and with the $89 deductible, it just didn't seem to make sense anymore. I kept my BB as a backup (instead of selling it on eBay), should anything happen to my DX I will activate that until I can get a new phone at the 2 year pricing. If you are really concerned, you may want to just take the 1 year contract, the cost of the phone is about $70 more, but then you would be able to get a new model sooner if you need to and not have to worry about paying retail.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the one year contract - I thought the insurance was a month to month thing? Are you saying it is a contract too?

Just for fun and grins I called my homeowners insurance company (USAA for reference). His phone is covered for loss, theft and breakage, BUT the $500 deductible applies. If I purchase him renters insurance, then it only covers for theft and wind, rain, etc damage, but not breakage or loss. That would have a $100 deductible, for a monthly cost of approximately $7, depending on the total amount of coverage.

I read somewhere else about how quickly these phones become obsolete, which is another consideration for me. My son does know that if something happens to this Droid, he goes back to his vanilla plain phone - literally, up to now, he has been the only 20 something in the World who did not use his phone much, so he is going from a skateboard to a F-15 fighter jet in one leap, phone wise.

But, I think I am more worried about malfunctions that the manufacturer will not cover. Which is likely very stupid, since that is exactly what they do cover!

OP
D

daniel4ever

Reaction score

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
OP
D

daniel4ever

Reaction score
Not sure why I'm a VIP....But I have 5 Devices (2 Droids, 1 BB, 2 dumb) and my monthly bill is $240ish

Ah, sounds like a volume discount! Seriously, they likely are rewarding you for your good business with them!

Plus I've been there for over 8 years IIRC.... At least I get a 22% discount from work :D

Nice! I think we have had our family plan for at least as long, but we don't have the powerful devices.