Scratches on screen

OP
cybertj.2000

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
1) I have never put a screen protector on my razr Maxx, zero scratches, it has been dropped, landed face first, with no scratches. Trust me, that's why this got me pissed, newer phone with newer glass style and I got scratches.

2) Screen savers are not invisible and do distort the color and feel of the screen. I put one on my girlfriend razr Maxx, huge difference in both of those categories. Bad enough that she removed it after a few days, and surprise surprise, no scratches on her screen after almost 2 years.

They are not visible except at certain angles and with the screen off, so not really worried about them right now. I was just wondering if anyone had a quick, proven "fix".

Thank you for the helpful ones that post on here.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Why oh why people keep doing that?

They buy phones and never put a screen protector on it.

As soon as any smartphone comes out of the case, the first thing you do is PUT A SCREEN PROTECTOR ON IT!

Every single smartphone will scratch. It is inevitable. Don't believe people who tell you their phones don't scratch. Every phone will scratch.

There is no such thing as Gorilla Glass scratch proof glass. It WILL SCRATCH. Even if you take care of the phone really well. It will scratch.

As soon as you buy a phone put a screen protector. They're invisible. You won't know it's there.
Though I agree that anyone who buys a smartphone should invest in a screen protector, they have every right not to either.

Screen protectors aren't as invisible as you may think either. They change the feel of the phone and even the quality of the display depending on which brand/style you go with. Some are more reflective, some are fingerprint magnets, some are matte finished, etc. Light scratches are inevitable, but many don't like the feel of their phone navigation with the screen protector on. Many times these light scratches are only noticeable at certain angles as well, and since 95% of the time we look directly at our phones, we don't see them, and they aren't apparent when the screen is on either.

Again, I personally use TechArmor because I find it to be the most unobtrusive protector. Fingerprints aren't as easy to wipe off compared to just the glass, but that's about the only con I can find with it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Gorilla Glass is very strong, but in most cases it is not the glass that is scratching. Very fine, hairline scratches (the kind you can usually only see when the screen is off, and at just the right angle) are usually in the anti-reflective, anti-glare coating - and not actually in the glass itself. This coating is also why a glass polish or wax don't help much to polish out these scratches. You're not actually polishing the glass!

Sorry, but I beg to differ. The first three generations of Gorilla Glass (version 3 is on the new Moto phones), have neither anti-reflective nor anti-glare coatings.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/0...tronger-and-more-scratch-resistant-than-ever/

They do however have an anti-abrasion and oleophobic coating to reduce susceptibility to light surface abrasions and also to minimize the visibility of finger/facial oils. They can be scratched and actually quite easily if your fingers happen to have micro-particles of sand or other hard minerals in the fingerprint lines. This can easily happen if you garden, use tools that have dirt on them, touch your car or other outside dirty surface, etc. Always wash your hands before using the phone after any contact with dirt.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1866049

In fact anti-reflective Gorilla Glass is still in the R&D stage ATM, and it's expected to possibly make its debut with version 4 (not yet released for production.)

http://hothardware.com/m/News/NextG...Antibacterial-AntiGlare-Displays/default.aspx

What many don't understand about Gorilla Glass is that although it's scratch resistant, that doesn't mean it won't scratch. What it's meant to do is minimize the fracturing stress that a scratch imparts to glass, so it's less prone to breakage. The scratches also, by design remain very fine and at very shallow depths, such that the scratches are less visible, and are also less likely to result in a full-blown fracture of the glass.

There are several videos on the Corning Gorilla Glass website which help you to understand, including one which is a scratch comparison test that demonstrates the extremely durable surface and also how much less visible those scratches are, as well as how much more abuse (pressure while being scratched), it can ensure before failure.. Another pre-stresses (scratches), Sapphire and Gorilla Glass. sheets by tumbling them with abrasive items, and then applies circle over circle pressure on each until failure of the Sapphire and for a good while longer on the Gorilla Glass.

http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/Gorilla-Glass

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The military shield is always on my screens...all of them...

And I believe the coating being referred to is the oleophobic coating perhaps...not sure though...

With the flexible screens coming...be looking for willow glass soon....

OP
cybertj.2000

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
All that being said, I know that screens can get scratches. I also am not too worried about these small, almost invisible, scratches. My main beef is that I had this phone for 4 days, constantly in and out of my pocket with no screen protector, and no scratches....I put the Verizon shell/holster on the phone for 1 day and I get those scratches while in the holster.

I know there were not scratches on the phone before the holster because, well, I was always looking at this beautiful phone!!!

I was at a theme park, with my holster and my phone in my room under lock and key, and it got those scratches during that time.

I saw the scratches immediately after pulling it out of the holster upon returning to my room.

So, either I was simply so blinded by my phones beauty that I ignored the scratches, or they were caused by the holster combo some how....a mystery that I will probably never solve!!!

Sent from my beauty of a Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 2

OP
cybertj.2000

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
I am under a Motorola -> Droid Maxx forum, they just grouped them under there.

Sent from my Droid Maxx!!!

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
1) I have never put a screen protector on my razr Maxx, zero scratches, it has been dropped, landed face first, with no scratches. Trust me, that's why this got me pissed, newer phone with newer glass style and I got scratches.

2) Screen savers are not invisible and do distort the color and feel of the screen. I put one on my girlfriend razr Maxx, huge difference in both of those categories. Bad enough that she removed it after a few days, and surprise surprise, no scratches on her screen after almost 2 years.

They are not visible except at certain angles and with the screen off, so not really worried about them right now. I was just wondering if anyone had a quick, proven "fix".

Thank you for the helpful ones that post on here.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

An anti scratch screen protector is totally invisible. I have one on now. There is 0 difference. Unless you get anti fingerprint screen protector.

I'm sure, if you give me your phone, I will find scratches on it. There is no way it has no scratches at all. No way after 2 years.

If you had a screen protector on the new phone, this wouldn't have happened.

My friend with an Omnia told me the same thing you're telling me now. When I finally saw the phone I told him to turn the screen off and it was full of small scratches.

They ALL scratch.

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
All that being said, I know that screens can get scratches. I also am not too worried about these small, almost invisible, scratches. My main beef is that I had this phone for 4 days, constantly in and out of my pocket with no screen protector, and no scratches....I put the Verizon shell/holster on the phone for 1 day and I get those scratches while in the holster.

I know there were not scratches on the phone before the holster because, well, I was always looking at this beautiful phone!!!

I was at a theme park, with my holster and my phone in my room under lock and key, and it got those scratches during that time.

I saw the scratches immediately after pulling it out of the holster upon returning to my room.

So, either I was simply so blinded by my phones beauty that I ignored the scratches, or they were caused by the holster combo some how....a mystery that I will probably never solve!!!

Sent from my beauty of a Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 2

You really need to get a girlfriend.

stephiedaneil63

Reaction score
If device gets older then scratches comes as a must. Only if proper maintenance is taken then some what that can be avoided. Mostly is happens with phones. Nothing to worry about. tyr using screen guards for the same.

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
If device gets older then scratches comes as a must. Only if proper maintenance is taken then some what that can be avoided. Mostly is happens with phones. Nothing to worry about. tyr using screen guards for the same.

I didn't understand a word you said, but yea. Scratches will happen. As soon as it comes out of the box, put a screen protector on it.

A good anti scratch one should be totally invisible and not affect the "feel" of the screen (what a bunch of boloney).

Even if it rests on a feather of pillows it'll scratch.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Sorry, but I beg to differ. The first three generations of Gorilla Glass (version 3 is on the new Moto phones), have neither anti-reflective nor anti-glare coatings.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/03/corning-introduces-gorilla-glass-3-stronger-and-more-scratch-resistant-than-ever/

They do however have an anti-abrasion and oleophobic coating to reduce susceptibility to light surface abrasions and also to minimize the visibility of finger/facial oils. They can be scratched and actually quite easily if your fingers happen to have micro-particles of sand or other hard minerals in the fingerprint lines. This can easily happen if you garden, use tools that have dirt on them, touch your car or other outside dirty surface, etc. Always wash your hands before using the phone after any contact with dirt.
Sorry, I used the wrong language for the coating. Not anti-reflective or anti-glare. It's oleophobic. Thanks for getting the terminology correct.

My main point is the same, though. There's a coating on the glass. It will scratch.

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
Sorry, I used the wrong language for the coating. Not anti-reflective or anti-glare. It's oleophobic. Thanks for getting the terminology correct.

My main point is the same, though. There's a coating on the glass. It will scratch.

The glass will scratch even more without the coating.

There have been tests done with pictures and the naked Gorilla Glass gets scratched more than the one with the coating.

Gorilla Glass has a certain level of scratch resistance. Anything from a grain of sand to any other mineral will scratch the screen.

Just a tiny grain of sand in your pocket from anywhere will scratch your screen.

donzz

Reaction score
I bought a screen protector for my original Droid and found it to be a waste of money. I took it off and never bought another one, nor will I ever. This is my third Droid (Og, Bionic and now the Maxx) Total waste of money.