SBF to root and to unroot

Discussion in 'Tech Guides for root users' started by christim, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Custom Recovery wins!!:)

2. zakany

zakany Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be looking for that fix. Using an OTA stock 2.2 (FRG01B) and your naked SPRecovery (MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b), when I try to reboot into recovery (after the first time, which is successful) I get the triangle-exclamation icon, but nothing else. No text selections or anything.

3. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, that's the "stock recovery". If you want to actually see the menu you have to hold up on the volume key and then press the camera button (while holding up on the volume key).

Stock recovery is useless for anything but data wipes and installing signed update.zip files, so you probably don't have much reason to go look at it.

4. MotoCache1

Ratings:
    +1
    OK, so getting around this new "recovery integrity protection" (RIP) feature [my name for it] was about as trivially simple as it could possibly be. When I did it the first time (around 7pm yesterday) I did it by simply flashing the FRG01B SBF. That worked so it told me it was possible. Once I got back home I took a look to see how it could be disabled without resorting to such extreme measures as a full flash. I think it took me about 7 minutes to come up with it. :)

This RIP feature does however make applying the custom recovery just a little trickier the first time because if you don't do it just right, and you miss catching a reboot, you get to do it over again. I'm going to put together an update.zip that will handle rooting and disabling the RIP, etc. as otherwise you need ADB and such and that's just too much for a lot of folks. You should see something later on in the day today unless I get tied up.

The good news is that it is not necessary to back out the 2C.7C boot loader (although I did figure out how to do that in case it were necessary), and it is simple to disable the RIP.

More later.

5. 0chilly

0chilly Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Excellent! I'm glad it was easy to do!
    :yr1:

6. TizzMahNizz

TizzMahNizz Member

Ratings:
    +1

Went back and flashed back to 2.0 then did sprecovery. I had the order of how to do it fouled up but now I'm back up running liquid 1.41 and I want to thank all of you! you have no idea how grateful I am for all the work and advice you guys have/do. thank you
    -Timmah!!

7. zakany

zakany Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If it helps, I did catch the reboot when installing SPR (got the PASS, etc.) and SPR did fire up the first time (for the obligatory nandroid backup). Subsequent boots to recovery presents me the stock recovery.

I had forgotten the button presses. Only used the stock recovery once. But yeah, I get the menu when I do that, so extra weirdness.

Do tell. I have no qualms about using the Android Debug Bridge. (in fact, while writing this I just dl'd the SDK and fired up ADB, just because I could) Even if you do package everything into an update.zip, I'd like to know what you did.

8. MotoCache1

Ratings:
    +1
    Here are just my raw notes to myself after finalizing the process. Please, anybody that wants to try this, that's cool, but I don't want to put effort into support questions about it (I'd rather spend the time automating it). The instructions are just for those who don't want to wait for an update.zip that does it all for you, and already have the tools and know-how to do it.

In the below, when I say Superuser.zip I mean my file here.

Code:
    1. Pre-stage the Superuser.zip on the SD card
    2. Flash "SPRecovery only" SBF onto phone and properly catch reboot at end to 
       go back into bootloader and let SBF finish to "PASS".
       [if you fail to catch it, the system will boot and recovery will get 
       flashed back during the boot]
    3. Reboot into recovery (should be SPRecovery).
    4. Mount system.
    5. ADB shell into the phone
    6. cd /system
    8. mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.p.not
    9. Umount system.
    10. Apply the update.zip (to root phone)

9. ShowTime

ShowTime Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll wait patiently until you get everything packaged up nicely, and then I think I've decided it's time to hop in the root pool. :unsure:
    Thanks for all the work and making it so easy and painless for us.

10. cjmiranda

cjmiranda New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    back to stock and it feels so good

even had to reprogram my phone *226 style but all good thanks alot i was running 2.2 but rather have a vzw version with flash and i missed the droid eye. much thanks

11. zakany

zakany Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for the explanation. I just like learning. So, in essence, you're renaming install-recovery.sh and recovery-from-boot.p so they aren't called. I also assume that you rename Superuser-2.3.2.3-ef-signed-MotoCache1.zip to update.zip and use SPR to apply it (I'm new at this, obviously).

Did you check to see what would happen if you booted the phone up a couple times normally then attempt to boot into recovery without rooting? Is there another image of install-recovery hidden somewhere? Does it choke because it can't find install-recovery? I ask because the one-SPR-boot behavior might mean that the user needs to root before doing anything else (like a nandroid backup).

Obviously, that's not a concern if you handle the file moves and superuser application in an update.zip.

12. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    MotoCache, you are awesome, and you're whipping this thing like a jockey riding a stallion in the Kentucky Derby. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product with baited breath. On behalf of myself and everyone who will use it, you have my thanks and gratitude!

Search tags for this page

droid 1 sbf

how to apply themes for unrooted android phones
root phone sbf
root sbf
root.sbf
sbf
sbf recovery sbf complete root

sbf root

sbf rooteado
sbf to root and unroot