[Rumor] Motorola Targa May Be first Tegra Kal-El Quad-Core Phone

S

scrub175

Yeah I kinda thought maybe it would be the Nexus but they haven't been rotating carriers. Tmobile has always gotten it first so my guess is it's not going to be a Nexus.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Well the nexus one was open, with the S carrier specific. So perhaps the carrier rotation was added later. My info was well before the merger of was announced. So if Google had a heads up about the merger and pulled the Nexus to another carrier is plausible.

The Nexus 1 was available for Tmobile first, then At&t and it never came to Sprint or Verizon Iirc. You had to buy them all from Google though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

agreed, although there was a presale on the nexus for verizon and all preorders were switch to the incredible I believe.

52brandon

Reaction score
I just need something good to come out soon... my d1 is counting it's last days.

My D1 runs like a boss on CM7 but the lack of RAM is getting super annoying. Even with compcache, eventually things stop working and you have to reset to make the phone usable again. My rooted Nook Color is running faster and more stable than my D1 because of it has 512 MB of RAM.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I just want to throw it against the wall. If it had 512mb of ram I'd be so happy right now.
my droid has been running like a champ on CM7, compcache is turned all the way up, as is VM heap size. Running prime's deprimed kernel at a custom 1100mhz ULV setting. Also have link2sd setup and used auto memory manager to keep handcent (my preferred SMS app) always alive. I use cache cleaner ng to automatically clean my cache every night while I sleep. No need to reboot and keeps me happy enough to wait for a kal-el phone for my upgrade

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I'll bet the Targa is locked down, rumors are just that rumors and if it's a nexus then prolly won't come to verizon anyway as we never get those. Unless moto/google/VZW work out some deal like the D1 although I'm not holding my breath. Not to mention VZW doesn't need to deal anymore since they covered their bases with the iphone and with less competition, T-Mobile shallowed up, they and AT&T can lock down these phones even more. Too bad too cus I love moto HW and if Moto wasn't locked down I'd be buying phones from them every 6 months for me (and my daughter and girlfriend) or whenever their newest (step up in tech) device came out...

Eric18

Reaction score
I think it is highly possible for this to be true, but if it had the 3D tech. and a quad memory close to the LG Optimus 3D has but better i would grab this in a sec.

barski

Reaction score
I doubt it will be out this year. I'm thinking early next year, right when I'm eligible for an upgrade :D

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I doubt it will be out this year. I'm thinking early next year, right when I'm eligible for an upgrade :D

You're probably right. Originally the Atrix and Bionic were supposed to be out before the end of last year.

MissSpiffy

Reaction score
I don't know how they could put a quad-core processor in a phone and keep it cool. These current smart phones (single core) are bad enough, peaking at almost 120 degrees, sometimes more if your phone is seriously overworked. We haven't really even seen how a dual-core behaves long term. I just think about my PC and the huge heat-sync I just put on my new processor, and then I look at the size of these phones and wonder...how can this be realistic in practice? There is always a trade-off when you jump ahead with one technology and the rest hasn't caught up....Look at 4G on the Thunderbolt, it's super fast, and the battery sucks. First things first we need some advances in battery technology, because processors eat up battery life, too. With that said, to every rumor there is some truth, but this could still be aways away, or there could be serious drawbacks.
Another thing you have to consider is the fact that Android is not optimized for Dual-core, and this means that on Froyo a single-core is better. My understanding is that not even 2.3/Gingerbread is going to be fully optimized for dual-core, and we might have to wait for 2.4 to see full Dual-core support. What on earth are we going to do with a quad when they haven't even caught up with a dual?! Additionaly, the best processor chip varies depending on what you are doing. Furthermore, you can't overlook software, which can make up for less-than-dazzling hardware.

I'm starting to ramble and digress. Anywho, that's my 2 cents.

P.S. Don't wait for the next best thing, or you'll always be waiting. Sign a 1-yr contract...it's usally around 70-80 more and you can upgrade as soon as 10 months in (depending on carrier). The Bionic is RIGHT around the corner ;).

-Sources: I work in the wireless industry for the Best carrier ;) ;).

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not putting any faith in Moto.... now the rumors/reports are flying that they're working on their own OS.... so I'm not expecting to see anything big in terms of Android from them any longer.

If it's an overhauled UI (to replace Blur) and separate themselves from other manufacturers than great... but if it's truly a stand alone OS... I hope they go down in flames.

Biting the hand that fed them....

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not putting any faith in Moto.... now the rumors/reports are flying that they're working on their own OS.... so I'm not expecting to see anything big in terms of Android from them any longer.

If it's an overhauled UI (to replace Blur) and separate themselves from other manufacturers than great... but if it's truly a stand alone OS... I hope they go down in flames.

Biting the hand that fed them....

My sentiments exactly! It's the razor all over again Lmao. They have a few hits then completely fail in every device afterwards.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Q4 phones have not even been leaked.....this is a device scheduled for Q3 sometime

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Q4 phones have not even been leaked.....this is a device scheduled for Q3 sometime

What if it comes with Moto's new OS? Still interested? :icon_ devil:

Yes for sure...I'm VERY interested in something new. Sense and Blur suxxors. I do like Touchwiz and LG's UI looks pretty sharp so I'm open to new things for sure.

Maybe they will surprise me. I don't think we will see anything from Moto this year anyway (in regards to an OS)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

What if it comes with Moto's new OS? Still interested? :icon_ devil:

Yes for sure...I'm VERY interested in something new. Sense and Blur suxxors. I do like Touchwiz and LG's UI looks pretty sharp so I'm open to new things for sure.

Maybe they will surprise me. I don't think we will see anything from Moto this year anyway (in regards to an OS)

I don't think we'll see it this year either... but from what I've taken away from the articles I've read... i don't think Moto is going for a UI overlay... It seems like they're going for their own OS to rival Android.
I hope I'm reading into it wrong and way off base!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
They may also be going after the power users /business sector. RIM has very little to no competion so there is room for them. Android does have it's limitations and I could see Motorola going after that demographic. They did try with the droid pro. Pure speculation of course but nobody really knows what they have in store. They did say they were not going to abandon Android though.

Droid--->ether--->this thread

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They may also be going after the power users /business sector. RIM has very little to no competion so there is room for them. Android does have it's limitations and I could see Motorola going after that demographic. Pure speculation of course but nobody really knows what they have in store. They did say they were not going to abandon Android though.

Droid--->ether--->this thread

Speculation of course, but a good one.