[Rumor] Motorola Targa May Be first Tegra Kal-El Quad-Core Phone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-motorola-Targa.jpg

Although these pics surfaced recently of the coming Motorola Targa, no solid info has leaked about the device. Some industry rumor/speculation suggests that it could be the first Android phone to come with the NVIDIA quad-core chipset codenamed "Kal-El" that we reported about previously. It might be pretty impressive if this 'rumint' turns out to be true. What do you guys think? If this does turn out to be the first quad-core phone, and it will come out this Christmas, does that affect your buying decisions? What do you think is the likelihood that it even is quad-core? Let's speculate.

Thanks to our tipster, ilikemoneygreen!

Source: Androidandme

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I say its a longshot that we see Quad Cores in any HANDSETS this year. Tablets possibly but not phones.

The Targa is definitely worth waiting for regardless if it has a Quad Core or not : )

Droid--->ether--->this thread

creaky

Reaction score
I've waited long enough. It will be Bionic for me unless there is a serious problem with the release. I'm hoping to see the handset in April and will sign a 1-year agreement. If quad-cores are on the horizon, I'm happy to jump on that boat in summer 2012.

Haloman800

Reaction score
I say its a longshot that we see Quad Cores in any HANDSETS this year. Tablets possibly but not phones.

The Targa is definitely worth waiting for regardless if it has a Quad Core or not : )

Care to expound on why it's worth waiting for?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Relating to nvidias little mobile roadmap, how would this kal-el chip compare to a core 2 duo?

Running on the numbers, a moto zoom gets ~80 MFLOPS, right? If this cpu really hits the 5x performance they say it could that is not even half a gigaflop. My now ancient P3 system would still be wayyyy more capable.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Wish I could but stay tuned.........

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
A phone can have 32 cores, but it won't make any difference if Android doesnt' support multi cores. Once that is added in, then it will matter and I think the current DualCore phones will sky rocket in performance. But for now, I'm happy with my DX, especially if the cracked bootloader turns out to be true.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I really hope the news about why this is worth waiting for breaks soon because I'm dying to know lol.

anuraj1

Reaction score
Jeeeez and I am sitting here waiting for the Bionic to upgrade to from my D1. Wish I knew how much longer I'd have to wait. If it is until December, I might just go for the Bionic.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Jeeeez and I am sitting here waiting for the Bionic to upgrade to from my D1. Wish I knew how much longer I'd have to wait. If it is until December, I might just go for the Bionic.
And by December there will be even better phones that people will tell you to keep waiting for!

volando

Reaction score
yeah, you can't just keep waiting for the next best super phone... i'd still be on my nokia 8260 in that case!

the droid3 will be dual core, sport a number-row-equipped physical keyboard, qHD screen and if rumors are to be believed not be gimped by motoBlur crap. Definitely grabbing that :)

anuraj1

Reaction score
yeah, you can't just keep waiting for the next best super phone... i'd still be on my nokia 8260 in that case!

the droid3 will be dual core, sport a number-row-equipped physical keyboard, qHD screen and if rumors are to be believed not be gimped by motoBlur crap. Definitely grabbing that :)

Unfortunately the D3 isn't going to be 4g according to rumors.

I had the Nokia 8260 too! Remember how much people admired that phone? It was so compact compared to other phones of the day.

I think I'll just suck it up and get the Bionic. I'm really hoping those leaked keys are real and that they work on the Bionic though.

creaky

Reaction score

Wish I could but stay tuned.........

Ah, being so coy, CK! I'll venture a guess and say that it might have to do with an unlocked bootloader. I'm probably wrong, and feel free to tell me so if I am!

loudaccord

Reaction score
I just need something good to come out soon... my d1 is counting it's last days.