[Rumor] Motorola Targa May Be first Tegra Kal-El Quad-Core Phone

Zetsumei

Reaction score
Sounds interesting, but I will probably still go ahead and use my upgrade for the TB or Bionic since I can do it right now.

Don't waste your upgrade on a single core phone. Grab dual or better with several gb's of interal memory.

Dualcore, Quadcore = unnecessary gg pz. This is where I think Android is heading in the wrong direction, they increase the hardware in hopes that it will give better performance while leaving software at a stand still. Dual core quad core won't matter for a phone unless the software is upgraded and optimized for dual,quad core phones. IF android keeps heading down this direction, ie pissing out new phones so fast where you upgrade and two-three weeks later your phone is seriously out of date. While not making any software improvements and optimizations to support the new hardware all I would expect android to crash and burn, people will only put up with it for so long. I'm honestly even thinking about jumping the android boat and going the iPhone route if the iPhone 5 is impressive. I know apple has been around longer, but you'd think by now android would have their act together and get the priorites straight. Yes I love seeing new hardware releases, but not like 2-3 weeks after getting a new phone on contract.

Yes I know technology growth is rapid, but there is a point where as a consumer you just gotta pause and say really? Are you Fkin kidding me? I mean if it is true that the Targa is a quad core phone, and it's already been announced when the dual core Bionic hasn't even been released? You think to yourself why even bother when your phone is going to be the manufacterer's PoS within the next month or two. Atleast with the iPhone there's a 1 year gap which is acceptable, will it be the latest phone on the market by then? Probably not, but atleast you would of had a decent run with the phone knowing you have the top peice of technology that company has to offer for a respetable amount of time. I would like to see Android shift its focus to where it needs to THE SOFTWARE, instead of releasing awesome hardware practically every damn month while keeping the software vice on them.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Dualcore, Quadcore = unnecessary gg pz. This is where I think Android is heading in the wrong direction, they increase the hardware in hopes that it will give better performance while leaving software at a stand still. Dual core quad core won't matter for a phone unless the software is upgraded and optimized for dual,quad core phones.
incorrecto Zetsumei I have posted on this very topic. Froyo utilizes both cores right now and it will outperform a single core thats overclocked to 1.8GHZ

Review the article with REAL benchmarks not Quadrant and see why Dual Core's are happnin' now

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/140004-why-dual-core-todays-technology.html

Zetsumei

Reaction score
Dualcore, Quadcore = unnecessary gg pz. This is where I think Android is heading in the wrong direction, they increase the hardware in hopes that it will give better performance while leaving software at a stand still. Dual core quad core won't matter for a phone unless the software is upgraded and optimized for dual,quad core phones.
incorrecto Zetsumei I have posted on this very topic. Froyo utilizes both cores right now and it will outperform a single core thats overclocked to 1.8GHZ

Review the article with REAL benchmarks not Quadrant and see why Dual Core's are happnin' now

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/140004-why-dual-core-todays-technology.html

TBH quadrant, neocore and smartbench results mean nothing to me. All I care about are real world results, and where it stands and from first hand experience I see practically no difference. My friend has a rooted Atrix and I compared it to my stock TB, both handled games just as smoothly, practically same frame rates both didn't stutter. Just saying even if froyo can utilize both cores it's doing a sub par job of it imo. We also need more multi threaded applications before the differences will be seen. So really at this point dual core for phones even if outdated for PC's is still fairly pointless.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

TBH quadrant, neocore and smartbench results mean nothing to me. All I care about are real world results, and where it stands and from first hand experience I see practically no difference. My friend has a rooted Atrix and I compared it to my stock TB, both handled games just as smoothly, practically same frame rates both didn't stutter. Just saying even if froyo can utilize both cores it's doing a sub par job of it imo. We also need more multi threaded applications before the differences will be seen. So really at this point dual core for phones even if outdated for PC's is still fairly pointless.

Agree the the speed differences will really shine when multi-thread support is added but the performance is already there and is being fully utillized. Single Core is on it's way out. Will it be obsolete? Nope. But the Dual Cores are about to take front and center

Zetsumei

Reaction score

Agree the the speed differences will really shine when multi-thread support is added but the performance is already there and is being fully utillized. Single Core is on it's way out. Will it be obsolete? Nope. But the Dual Cores are about to take front and center

I do agree that single core is on it's way out for phones, I'd say 1 1-/2 maybe 2 years they should be completely phased out and dual core should be the norm. Who knows maybe quad will be out at that time and if so, I'll probably hop onto the quad boat. I mean don't get me wrong the Atrix is a pretty damn snappy phone but I see almost no differences atm w/ load speeds and frame stability. But this will change for sure once devs start creating multi threaded apps. Maybe we'll notice OS speed differences when GB comes out, but as of now it's nothing really noticeable. Smart bench benefits from the extra core since it is a multi threaded app.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I look forward to dual core but right now I don't see the huge real world differences. Atrix is not that fast and many single core phones are much smoother and appear to be faster so in the real world they are not better right now. I would still given the option pick dual over single all else being equal...

Also many say the hardware is advancing too fast for the software. Well IMO the problem isn't that the hardware is advancing too fast for the software because google keeps putting out new code. The problem for me is that we don't see these updates in real life for months and years or never in some cases. The real problem with android at this point, and it will only get worse as more and more phones come out, is the multiple middleman update path that we see now. IMO it is unforgivable that any new phone can be released on a months or years old version of android. This is why it is more important for me that the phone is unlocked so I can run aosp based roms and thus stay updated on android.

CM7 final was just released and that is 2.3.3 based, many of the new phones coming out are slated to have 2.2. The nexus s released months ago had 2.3 and is now at 2.3.3 so every phone released now should also be on at least 2.3.3. If OEMs cannot keep up then stop with the skins and just add the skin in app form as google has done with its core apps, gmail, youtube, maps etc... OEMs could make a custom launcher, email, messaging, camera, calendar, etc... and it would make their upgrade path so much faster as they could leave the core of android as is and just add in their apps.

rkeller62

Reaction score

The other part of this that is incorrect is about leaving software at a stand still. One main reason that iOS seems "Snappier" is that the OS graphics are handled by the GPU, not the CPU. This hasn't been the case with Android, but that is changing. Not sure if it is GB or Ice Cream (sandwich, or sundae) that moves a lot of the OS graphics to the GPU, but that should help with the home screen "Lag" that a lot of people talk about.

People forget how totally crippled the first iPhone/iOS software/hardware was. They have what, a 1-2 year head start?? Android has made huge gains since Cupcake and is only getting better!!

rkeller62

Reaction score
IF android keeps heading down this direction, ie pissing out new phones so fast where you upgrade and two-three weeks later your phone is seriously out of date.

Another area I disagree on. Do I WANT one of the newer phones out there?? Sure. Do I feel that my OG Droid is SERIOUSLY out of date? No. Other than really wishing it had some more RAM so I could run GB a little better I am quite happy with my Droid hardware.

Zetsumei

Reaction score
IF android keeps heading down this direction, ie pissing out new phones so fast where you upgrade and two-three weeks later your phone is seriously out of date.

Another area I disagree on. Do I WANT one of the newer phones out there?? Sure. Do I feel that my OG Droid is SERIOUSLY out of date? No. Other than really wishing it had some more RAM so I could run GB a little better I am quite happy with my Droid hardware.

From a consumer standpoint after you make a $200 + purchase and binding yourself to another 2 year agreement, it would be nice to have the companies latest and greatest for more than 1 month just saying. I know technology changes rapidly hell, for my desktop I went from a quad to a hex core in 6-7 months. But since there aren't contracts etc, I can upgrade at a reasonable cost :icon_ banana:. Also I am aware that android is not as mature as osx, but by now instead of just slapping on extra cores more RAM and noticing marginal to no gains, they would focus on the software. Forcing hardware acceleration further. Perhaps focusing more on GPU acceleration for the scrolling etc. All I'm saying is I'd like to see Android try to refocus their strategy, improve software instead of bloating up hardware specs to try to make up for the software.

reefsrt4

Reaction score

Suuperflie

Reaction score
So, I hear today that the Bionic we all know is scrapped at Motorola and Targa will be released and badged as Bionic for Verizon. Quite interesting.

Motorola kills the Etna DROID BIONIC, with the Targa to replace it? - Phone Arena

Some possible confirmation of what I heard earlier about Bionic being scrapped and replaced by Targa, yet still being released as Bionic with Verizon.

This article has already been talked about on here in other threads. Also, there is no confirmation of anything until it comes straight from Verizon or Motorola......at least that's what they keep telling me.....

reefsrt4

Reaction score
So, I hear today that the Bionic we all know is scrapped at Motorola and Targa will be released and badged as Bionic for Verizon. Quite interesting.

Motorola kills the Etna DROID BIONIC, with the Targa to replace it? - Phone Arena

Some possible confirmation of what I heard earlier about Bionic being scrapped and replaced by Targa, yet still being released as Bionic with Verizon.

This article has already been talked about on here in other threads. Also, there is no confirmation of anything until it comes straight from Verizon or Motorola......at least that's what they keep telling me.....

Sorry for the report then. Hadn't seen it in any other threads I had been in. The only reason I consider it confirmation is because i got my info from an engineer that was on the Bionic project team, at Motorola. This article echoes the exacts words that person told me, including the reason why....

Suuperflie

Reaction score

Sorry for the report then. Hadn't seen it in any other threads I had been in. The only reason I consider it confirmation is because i got my info from an engineer that was on the Bionic project team, at Motorola. This article echoes the exacts words that person told me, including the reason why....

Well, you didn't mention that little tidbit in your post....

reefsrt4

Reaction score

Well, you didn't mention that little tidbit in your post....

Good point. At the end of the day, as you said, nothing is truly confirmed until it is officially announced...

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not that a lot of people believed that this would be a quad core, but id say the chances are a lot less if the targa gets released soon as the Bionic. Quadcore if even in the works would have been at least til christmas Q4ish territory. No way it would happen in Q2 this year. :(