NVIDIA's Kal-El Quad-Core Mobile Chip in Tablets in October; In Phones Q1 2012

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 3, 2011.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,587

Although, recently TI's Dual-Core chip had a status upgrade to replace NVIDIA's Tegra as Google's "mobile chipset of choice" for new Android smartphones, it's way too early to count NVIDIA down and out. In fact, the mobile chipset and gaming graphics leader is getting ready to debut its first quad-core chip to the mobile world as early as October. Here's a quote from NVIDIA,
    Furthermore, according to industry "rumint", the first tablet to come forth utilizing the quad-core beast, will be none other than the Asus Eee Pad Transformer 2. Previous rumors about this tablet suggest it will be released in October, thus completing the rumor-mill time-frame circle and making the info much more likely. If you haven't already seen it, you can check out the impressive video demo above of NVIDIA's "Superman" technology.

This demo looks pretty amazing for gamers! If tablets, and eventually phones, reach the potential that the demo foreshadows, NVIDIA will very likely solidify themselves as the premier graphics chipset maker for mobile devices.

Source: Android.net via TalkAndroid and AndroidandMe
  2. Rhino413

Rhino413 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Funny thing is I just left a post on the thread about Google choosing TI
    and that things change fast and how Nvidia could release its new chip set and
    wham be back on top again. and then this post comes out that proves just that.
  3. zodder

zodder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Further confirmation that I may never replace my phone because I'll always want the one coming out in 3 months............. :icon_eek:
  4. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +301
    Yes and no. I think the Kal-El would be awesoem for tablets where those kind of effects will be great to have, but on a phone...not so much.
  5. johnd09

johnd09 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I think a tablet may need that much processor power, but a phone really doesn't need more than a dual core. Where are they going put a battery big enough in a phone to run it in a phone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  6. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +245
    Current Phone Model:
    GNote2
    Right there with ya! This news makes me want to just skip the Bionic. My Rom'd X is pretty darn fast and I think I could hold out another 6-8 months.
  7. infinity8x3

infinity8x3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's what they said about dual cores...

I'm excited for nvidia I'm a fan have an X2 and couldn't be happier with tegra personally.
  8. sb1831

sb1831 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    So it will appear in phones around CES and those phones will launch in the Q2 most likely. Close enough to a year away for me to upgrade now.
  9. simon_lefisch

simon_lefisch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that some Android phones will be using the TI OMAP chips next year.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  10. DaWolf85

DaWolf85 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The funny thing is, apps may not even be taking full advantage of dual-core processors when quad-core phones come out. The hardware is there, but app developers mostly want to develop for the largest market. Where is that? Not even dual-core phones, but single-cores.
    Say I'm a developer, do I want to develop a really cool app or an app that will make me money? Money all the way.
  11. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +245
    Current Phone Model:
    GNote2
    Quad core will still be faster than anything else out there.
  12. AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006 Member

Ratings:
    +11
  13. DaWolf85

DaWolf85 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    My quad-core computer is not faster than my single-core computer at browsing the web. Likewise, a quad-core phone will not be faster than a dual-core phone or even a single-core phone if you don't have apps that need that power.
  14. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +245
    Current Phone Model:
    GNote2
    I have a quad core pc and a single core. I'd say the quad beats the single in every way. But.. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens in the phone world. I'm not a big web user with my phone.
  15. DaWolf85

DaWolf85 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I would agree that the quad beats the single, but I would also contend that a lot of PC games are designed to run on at least dual-cores, if not quad-cores, whereas many Android games are designed for single-cores. So the performance difference between a single- and a quad-core phone, while it may sometimes be evident, is not especially important at the moment. Not saying that won't change in the future, because I'm sure it will. For the moment, however, there isn't much of a functional difference between single-, dual-, and even quad-core Android phones. The software is just not to the point of needing that kind of hardware.