Rumor: Droid 1, Droid Incredible, and Droid X to receive 2.2 update, starting on 8/6

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I am wondering if anyone has actually reported receiving the beta update of Froyo that Motorola said MAY push July 30th? I have not received my OTA yet (I understand it appears that no one has.) I have thought about rooting my phone, but I have several concerns.

1.) I am not all that up to speed yet with the Android OS to feel comfortable doing that.
2.) It will void my phone's warranty. I don't think that I would care if the phone was beyond it's warranty period but the fact that it isn't gives me a moment of pause.
It's not necessarily a matter of being comfortable with the OS, it's a matter of being comfortable with concern 2 -- risking the warranty on a $600 piece of equipment.

However, do NOT root unless you're comfortable with the procedure to unroot your device and the terminology/jargon associated with it. If you have a problem with your phone so it requires service, unless the phone becomes TOTALLY unresponsive (bricked/broken), you can flash in a stock 2.0.1 SBF to return your phone to bone-stock. Many people have done it. However, I wish to stress --

$600.

benlugia

Reaction score
slightly important question. my friend helped to root my motorola droid for the 2.1 upgrade when it came out. since my phone was previously rooted, do i have to root for the 2.2 or will i receive it via OTA (i'm hoping the latter)?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
slightly important question. my friend helped to root my motorola droid for the 2.1 upgrade when it came out. since my phone was previously rooted, do i have to root for the 2.2 or will i receive it via OTA (i'm hoping the latter)?
The OTA will kill your root.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you're running a ROM updates are probably blocked anyway so you'll have to do it manually if that's the case.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

yikes okay, so what do i do so my phone doesn't brick?
It won't brick your phone, just either pester you with annoying "update me now, you prick" messages or just won't show if you're running a ROM that's set up to block updates.

benlugia

Reaction score

yikes okay, so what do i do so my phone doesn't brick?
It won't brick your phone, just either pester you with annoying "update me now, you prick" messages or just won't show if you're running a ROM that's set up to block updates.

so then, now i have 2 questions:
1. if my root is killed if i choose to get the OTA, i will still get the OTA, right? and the phone will be fine?
2. or, am i better off getting the 2.2 root when it comes out? i'm an idiot when it comes to these things, and my college friend did this for me because we were impatient. i leave for medical school on thursday and i want my phone to still have the newest updates.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you don't use anything that requires root, don't worry about losing root. If you do things (WiFi tethering, for example, or overclocking) that require root, you'll want to flash in a 2.2 ROM, like the leaked FRG01A that's already rooted. It's possible updates are already blocked on your phone, though, so you'd have to do it manually anyway. If you're running straight stock 2.1 and the updates aren't blocked then let it roll in and you'll be fine.

It's possible you might want to roll back to stock 2.1, though, if you're at all unsure and you don't do anything that requires root. :) Just let us know and we'll be more than happy to help. (DF, I mean. I'm not using the royal "we" yet. Yet.)

JimmyD

Reaction score

I believe you are mistaken.

It's my understanding that if a Droid is already rooted, it will not receive an OTA update.
In other words, the 2.2 OTA update will NOT "kill your root"; because Ben's rooted phone will not even receive the OTA update.

Otherwise, we would have a TON of threads about people losing their root access when 2.01 went to the OTA 2.1 update. For those who were rooted, they did not receive any notice to update via OTA update messages.

Please correct me if I'm wrong; but that's my understanding.

benlugia

Reaction score
If you don't use anything that requires root, don't worry about losing root. If you do things (WiFi tethering, for example, or overclocking) that require root, you'll want to flash in a 2.2 ROM, like the leaked FRG01A that's already rooted. It's possible updates are already blocked on your phone, though, so you'd have to do it manually anyway. If you're running straight stock 2.1 and the updates aren't blocked then let it roll in and you'll be fine.

It's possible you might want to roll back to stock 2.1, though, if you're at all unsure and you don't do anything that requires root. :) Just let us know and we'll be more than happy to help. (DF, I mean. I'm not using the royal "we" yet. Yet.)

i believe i am running straight stock 2.1--i mean, i'm not using anything special on my droid. i don't know if updates are blocked (is there any way to check? like, what would be the last day updates are rolled out and if i don't get it, i assume it would mean i have updates blocked).

thank-you so much, furbearingmammal! you've been very helpful throughout all of this!

...also, i know i'm a prick lol ;p

JimmyD

Reaction score

;) ...I just saw your post above after I typed my post....

So are you saying that you can be rooted and still receive the OTA update, if you don't have a ROM installed that specifically blocks the updates?

My understanding was that even the act of enabling root access will block any future OTA update, unless you remove your root access and go back to stock. No??

(I'm not rooted by the way)

mattg1

Reaction score
If he is running a rom yes more than likely he won't get the OTA update, but if he is rooted only then he will get the the OTA and lose root.

benlugia

Reaction score
If he is running a rom yes more than likely he won't get the OTA update, but if he is rooted only then he will get the the OTA and lose root.

i'm not running a rom (i'm pretty sure i'm not at least), i'm just running the rooted 2.1.

mattg1

Reaction score
Sorry I should be more clear when I say rooted only I mean Super User permissions only no custom recovery installed (SP recovery/ClockworkMod) I think the custom recovery's block the OTA from be installed I'm not 100% sure about that tho.