Rooting HTC ThunderBolt

derekmiller12

Reaction score
Is rooting hard to do? And Is there a chance of messing up my phone.. I really want to get rid of all these pre installed apps.. Thats the main reason why I am considering rooting..

Parafly9

Reaction score
Is rooting hard to do? And Is there a chance of messing up my phone.. I really want to get rid of all these pre installed apps.. Thats the main reason why I am considering rooting..

No, it's not hard, it's difficult to F- up your phone. I had no linux experience whatsoever and I was able to root the "hard" way on my original droid easily.

Daethian

Reaction score
Fantastic! Thunderbolt is ordered... now the waiting game is in full swing #fret

So am I correct in my assumption that if root my TB (like I have with my OG Droid) there is NO REASON to pay for the wifi hotspot so long as I have an an unlimited data plan?

correct, u can use wireless tether app to do make it a hotsopt (once rooted)

PikaCane

Reaction score
Launcher Pro works on the TB. I don't like the KB either! Actually, that's the ONLY thing I don't like about the phone! :)

One of the first things I did was install a market Gingerbread KB. Not as good as the CM7 one, but that stock one was just nasty. May practice my masochism and try 8pen again :)

I've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!

Morlince

Reaction score
I'm starting to get used to the Sense UI, though i wish i could use the senseui.com website i want to play with it... but besides that htc sense does have alot of nice things built into it. I dont like their facebook app, but i do like how it integrates all the text messages and voice messages together. That's kinda nice. I was pissed at first cause i couldnt install visual voice mail but then i figured it out. It definately takes some getting used to but it will work for the time being.

The speaker is nice, it's loud and sounds okay. It doesnt seem as bass filled as my og droid, but it may be because of the rom i am using with the dsp manager built in.

Morlince

Reaction score
Battery usage....

Just though i would post about my battery use, My phone has been off the charger for almost 5 hours at this point and is at 60%. The reporting is saying that 71% of that use is the display, so i'm going to adjsut the settings and watch the usage.

lee__D

Reaction score

Morlince

Reaction score
I'm not rooting until they get recovery working.

They quoted on XDA:

3/17/2011

We have write to /system on two production devices, from from the store. We do not have a working recovery yet, no release will be done until then.
right above that:

3/17/2011 11:35pm

We have perm root.

If you go into the chat room this is the title in there.

[We have perm root, just no recovery. Hold your horses, details this weekend]

mkjellgren

Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up!! I rooted my d1 the very similar manner as soon as the exploit was discovered but I think I'm gonna hold off with my tb til the honeymoon period wears off and there's a easier solution with a more practical purpose than saying "I have a rooted thunderbolt..."
For now I'm just gonna bask in the glory.

motty69

Reaction score
Has anyone who has rooted removed all the bloat? Just wondering how much space you got back.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Today is the day.. Root will be here.. then off with the bloatware.. man I love this phone..
I'm not rooting until they get recovery working.

[05:50] <@jcase> we have recovery
[05:50] <@jcase> in rom manger
[05:50] <jeffnucci> woot!
[05:50] <@jcase> tomorrow morning
[05:50] <rya> w000000000000000t
[05:51] <@jcase> full root
[05:51] <@jcase> s-off
[05:51] <@jcase> eng
[05:51] <@jcase> fastboot
[05:51] <@jcase> new radio
[05:51] <@jcase> current release firmware

:icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroid